CNAME
Posted by: muchalipski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2007 05:44PM

Hello,

I'm setting up this website, all is well. They only confusion that I'm running into is the CNAME and how to configure every thing.

When I use my DNS Control at my domain station I can connect to my server. Though, it goes to the WAMP server php and not into my directory. Can someone please help me configure my Domain DNS controller to get me into my sub domain?

This is where it shows at my www.kiwiexpressions.com
D:\wamp\www\

This is where I would like it to go
D:\wamp\www\KiwiExpressions2

Here is what they say to edit domain:

To create a new A record for this zone file, please enter the Host Name, "Points To" IP Address, and TTL in the fields below; then click "Continue."

An A record . short for address record . is a record within a zone file that maps a domain name to an IP address. Thus, you can use an A record to indicate the IP address you want your domain or subdomain to point to. Also referred to as a host or host name. For example, if you want your domain "domainnamegoeshere.com" to point to your home computer (whose IP address is, for example, 172.0.0.1), the A record would list "domainnamegoeshere.com", or "@" as the host and "172.0.0.1" as the "Points To" IP address. Entering "@" will automatically insert your domain name as the host name for the A Record. If the A Record is for the domain "www.domainnamegoeshere.com", the host name should be entered as "www".

Do not enter "www.domainnamegoeshere.com" as the host name for an A Record.

You can create a wildcard A record by setting the Host Name value to "*" (asterisk). The wildcard causes the server to respond with the IP address specified instead of an error if the subdomain queried does not exist within your zone file.

Here is what they say for a CNAME:

To create a new CNAME record for your domain, please complete the Alias Name, Points To Host Name, and TTL fields below; then click "Continue."

Note: The Points To Host Name should be defined as your domain name (i.e., "www.domainnamegoeshere.com"winking smiley or "@" (Entering "@" will automatically insert your domain name as the host name for the CNAME Record). The Alias field should be the subdomain of your top-level domain the CNAME record points to your domain.

For example: If you want the CNAME record to point "www" within your domain to "www.domainnamegoeshere," you should enter "www" in the Alias field and "www.domainnamegoeshere.com" in the Points To field. If you want the CNAME record to point "email" within your domain to "email.domainnamegoeshere," enter "email" as the Alias and "email.domainnamegoeshere.com" as the Points To Host Name.

and the last part I would like to add. Do I need to turn on my Vhost in httpd.conf and set that up too?
Thanks, SKi

Post Edited (03-04-07 17:51)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CNAME
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: March 10, 2007 11:12PM

no, all these settings need to be done with a dns server. wamp does not come with a dns server, so you will need to use a dynamic dns service. the most popular is zoneedit.com. it is free, and has tons of documentation and tutorials on setting up dns for your domain and getting it to work with your wamp server. for the love of god, don't even think of installing your own dns server, just use zoneedit.com.

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP English Forum Admin

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.