MySQL
Posted by: Seifer (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 04, 2007 01:11AM

Hi all,

I've just installed WAMP and MySQL is asking for a password. I've not picked one so what would this be? Will I need to run MySQLADMIN to set an account?

Cheers.
Seif

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MySQL
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: February 04, 2007 02:47AM

[forum.wampserver.com]

CyberSpatium
WAMP English Forum Admin
--------------------------------------

Posted by: Seifer (---.range86-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 05, 2007 09:28PM

Hi there,

i tried this and I still can't access the console. is the terminal password also changed in this manner or do i have to do something else?
Cheers,
Seif

Post Edited (02-05-07 21:29)

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: February 05, 2007 10:03PM

why do you need to access the console. you can do most things using phpmyadmin which is way easier. it you use the console use root as the user name and just press enter when it asks for a password.

like my free support? help support me by checking out my new Newbie Webmaster Development Forum dedicated to the newbie webmaster here:
www.WebDevNewbie.com

Posted by: JoFreeman (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: February 24, 2007 01:09PM

I have just installed wamp5 after abandoning attempts to install everything separately. It looks impressive. However, I have a problem and need help.

When I try to run phpmyadmin, either from the wamp server menu or from my browser, I get the 2013 error (MySQ needs a host/user/password combination that has not been supplied correctly there access is denied) and cannot get into phpmyadmin as I do not have the user/password combination. I have tried updating config.inc.php with all sorts of combinations, but have not been successful. I have read [forum.wampserver.com]
which also assumes that a person is able to get into phpadmin, and have been searching forums etc but cannot find any reference to the password that is set up for the root user when wamp5 installs mySQL.

During the wamp5 install there was nowhere that I was asked to provide passwords (I uninstalled and reinstalled today just be be absolutely sure that there was no opportunity to set this up).

How do I find out what the root user's password is? I have tried the following:- NO No no YES Yes yes PASSWORD password '' (blank)'

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 24, 2007 01:28PM

Can you use the MySQL console? For setting password, you can use either phpMyAdmin or mysql console; then, put that same password in config.inc.php

Check my old post here for the idea

[forum.wampserver.com]

Have fun

[www.jlbn.com] (testing web server)
[test.jlbn.com] (testing codes)
[forum.jlbn.com] (testing phpBB2)
[forums.jlbn.com] (testing phpBB3)
[mail.jlbn.com] (testing mailserver)
[ftp.jlbn.com] (testing ftp server)
[www.jlbn.com] (testing flashes)
[www.jlbn.com] (testing images)
[joomla.jlbn.com] (testing Joomla 1.0.10)
[fusion.jlbn.com] (testing phpFusion 6.01.6)
[nuke.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke 7.9)
[nukep.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke Platinum 7.6.b.4v2)
[pnuke.jlbn.com] (testing PostNuke 0.800-MS2)
[nukevo.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke Evolution 2.0.1)
[wp.jlbn.com] (testing WordPress 2.1)
[ws.jlbn.com] (testing WebSpell 4.01.02)

Date: February 24, 2007 01:34PM

I am trying user/password combinations in three places:-
1. on the MySQL console
2. in config.inc.php
3. on phpmyadmin by setting config.inc.php to prompt for user/password
I have assumed all three places are going to the exact same user/password definition, but trying all three anyway... :-(

So - I am not getting as far as trying to change the password, because I have to have it to get to the place where I can change it.....

I have referred to your post and tried this wqithout success: (I get 2013 error)

By default, wampserver comes with user "root" (w/o double quote) and no password. For security, you should immediately setup password and need to change it in TWO PLACES:

1. For first place, use either MySQL consol (1a) through tray icon or phpMyAdmin (1b) through browser/localhost.

1a. Using MySQL consol: first time user just press Enter when ask for password, then type as follows:

Date: February 24, 2007 01:40PM

Assume you've just installed wamp, so have no critical data yet, just uninstall wamp, search and delete all related apache, mysql, php, wampapache, wampmysql in windows and in registry, then reinstall wamp

Have fun

Date: February 24, 2007 02:01PM

I will give that a whirl....and let you know.

Posted by: JoFreeman (---.mega.tmns.net.au)
Date: February 24, 2007 02:35PM

, everything cleaned out, and rebooted my PC just for good measure. Then reinstalled wamp5 successfully. Then try to get into MySQL console and also into phpmyadmin, with the same error 2013:-
----------------------------------
Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.9.2

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

Error
MySQL said:

#2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query
------------------------------------
config.inc.php is using user = 'root' and password = ''

What can I try next?

Date: February 24, 2007 03:52PM

Through tray icon, check to make sure both services running.

I've just installed wamp 1.7.0 on my new Vista laptop, huh... I mean my brand new hi-viz 15.4" widescreen Toshiba laptop packs w/ Vista, which I couldn't resit to get yesterday for only $250 AR+CP, and so far I didn't encounter any problem yet. For references, I've installed wamp 1.7.0 w/ all add-on except missing Perl add-on, which I've posted a message for that wonder recently. Honestly, I didn't want to try 1.7.0 on my primary and secondary servers which still run on XP w/ wamp 1.6.5.

So, if you still have no joy w/ new v1.7.0, maybe roll back and try 1.6.5 which is the most stable version, at least in my experiences w/ wamp, and note that except apache needs to compile, all others can be upgraded. Actually, I've lied because I have a litle problem to upgrade php. he... he.... ;-)

Have fun

Date: February 24, 2007 04:03PM

Yes, all services show as running.

I have thought of going back to previous version.

I note that SQLite gets through to MySQL, and have searched its config files to see if I can see what user/password it is using to get into MySQL successfully - but that didn'y shed any light.

I had not installed downloaded and installed 1.7.0 add-ons, so am doing that now then going to bed (its 1:30 am here in Adelaide Australia) and will continue efforts in the morning.

If the add-ons don't help then I will go back to older version. There seems to be a number of people encountering the same sort of problem, and when I was a systems programmer (IBM mainframe, long time ago), that would have alerted me to a packaging problem of some sort...)

Anyway, enjoy your new laptop you lucky thing! Jo

Date: February 24, 2007 04:10PM

Is there a way to query something to find out what the password for user 'root' has been set to in MySQL? I know this is a big security question, you could send reply to my email address if you prefer... Jo

Date: February 24, 2007 04:22PM

Thanks, but I'm afraid it would show up in Ebay soon because the regular price is around $600-700.

Anyway, if you don't really need new apache, might want to try older wamp version then just perform upgrade all others, of course after already installed them. For example, I've already upgraded mysql from 5.0.27 to 5.2.3 and phpmyadmin from 2.9.2 to 2.10.0

Have fun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.