How much speed required??
Posted by: hockey97 (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 27, 2007 10:50PM

HI I just upgraded my speed of my internet to 4mbps, I plan on using a server to host all my websites and provide an E-mail service and also Be ablt to host online games meaning like starcraft type of online game stuff.

How much speed and bandwith would I need to provide thses services??
I ask my internet provider and they told me to go to college, and take a IT course.
Is thier any online tools to check my bandwith and speed I done a online speed test which my computer gets 1.3mbps but I am using a router. I just really
would like to know more about why their are faster speed's like T4 ect??
I don't fully know what's the big difference?? I am guessing is just the amount of time it takes for data to transfer.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much speed required??
Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2007 11:07PM

HI I just upgraded my speed of my internet to 4mbps, I plan on using a server to host all my websites and provide an E-mail service and also Be ablt to host online games meaning like starcraft type of online game stuff.

How much speed and bandwith would I need to provide thses services??
Is it static speed which download speed and upload speed are the same? Or download speed? Or upload speed?
To run a true server 24/7, you need to have a good upload speed whereas your speed of 4mbps probably is downspeed and you might only get 256kbps upspeed, which is just barely enough for "to host all my websites and provide an E-mail service", but too far away to meet the minimum required speed to host game server which should be at least 3MBps upspeed and average 1 to 3 grand a month.

Have fun

[www.jlbn.com] (testing web server)
[test.jlbn.com] (testing codes)
[forum.jlbn.com] (testing phpBB2)
[forums.jlbn.com] (testing phpBB3)
[mail.jlbn.com] (testing mailserver)
[ftp.jlbn.com] (testing ftp server)
[www.jlbn.com] (testing flashes)
[www.jlbn.com] (testing images)
[joomla.jlbn.com] (testing Joomla 1.0.10)
[fusion.jlbn.com] (testing phpFusion 6.01.6)
[nuke.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke 7.9)
[nukep.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke Platinum 7.6.b.4v2)
[pnuke.jlbn.com] (testing PostNuke 0.800-MS2)
[nukevo.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke Evolution 2.0.1)

Post Edited (01-28-07 00:12)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Re: How much speed required??
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: February 02, 2007 08:02PM

1.3mbps out is not even close enough to run a game server, or to host websites. if you want to host websites, you will need a dedicated server. if you want to run your own game server, you will need a dedicated server for that too.

you can search google for hosts, but you can find some of the best deals on the net at webhostingtalk.com forum.

CyberSpatium
WAMP English Forum Admin
--------------------------------------

like my free support, help support me by checking out my website here:
www.AnyRingTone.net

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.