Testing pop3/Smtp
Posted by: Bill W. (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2007 03:25PM

Is there a way to create a local pop3/smtp mailbox on a windows network so it can receive email directly from a pop3/smtp server on a local wamp? I have a program that runs on my remote server, that emails data using smtp, which works just fine on the server, but I have a few modifications I would like to make to the GUI and be able to test the results locally (my home network). I have a wamp that I use locally for testing sites in general (I do some development work) but have not been able to figure out how to test email without involving external servers. I have considered setting up a lamp (if that would make any difference) but would prefer to make some modification to the existing setup if possible. Any Ideas???

Regards,

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Testing pop3/Smtp
Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 21, 2007 04:12PM

LAMP and WAMP is about the same, only different is 1 for linux and another for win, you still have to setup mail server in your own because most of both package don't come w/ mail server.

If you're very good in programming, you can use phpmailer; then design and integrate the login page w/ it.

If not, check my old post here for the idea

[forum.wampserver.com]

Have fun

[www.jlbn.com] (testing web server)
[test.jlbn.com] (testing codes)
[forum.jlbn.com] (testing phpBB2)
[forums.jlbn.com] (testing phpBB3)
[mail.jlbn.com] (testing mailserver)
[ftp.jlbn.com] (testing ftp server)
[www.jlbn.com] (testing flashes)
[www.jlbn.com] (testing images)
[joomla.jlbn.com] (testing Joomla 1.0.10)
[fusion.jlbn.com] (testing phpFusion 6.01.6)
[nuke.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke 7.9)
[nukep.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke Platinum 7.6.b.4v2)
[pnuke.jlbn.com] (testing PostNuke 0.800-MS2)
[nukevo.jlbn.com] (testing phpNuke Evolution 2.0.1)

Re: Testing pop3/Smtp
Posted by: Bill W. (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2007 05:39PM

Hmmmm...

Actually I have four different mail servers...

They all seem to work this way: If I set up php.ini so that the smtp server is set to "localhost" any of the servers will work just fine... The problem is that they all want to send their mail to external email addresses.

What I want to do is emulate this process locally so I do not have to depend on the whims of how various ISP's want to handle SMTP mail, to evaluate my configuration/programming work....

Is the following possible??

Run php script locally > it sends data > data is redirected to local mail box > I look at data with local email client....

It seems if I had a way to create a mailbox (in a windows environment) that would be recognized by both the mail server and my email client I would be home free!!

What say ye??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.