SOLVED: Move wamp installation
Posted by: nicky (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 08, 2006 02:51AM

Hi there, I had somebody else install wamp for me (lazy I know!) because I struggled with IIS & PHP and finally gave up and gave the laptop over to a friend. Anyway, it was installed on the default c: drive but my laptop is configured with a fairly small c: drive and a huge d: drive which I use for data, and I want to be able to move at least the www directory to the d: drive so I can keep all the local copies of sites I create on d: and do a flat data backup of the entire d: drive without having to back the c: system files every night, or without having to copy the c: files onto d: prior to a backup.

My question is, is it possible to move just the www directory? Or if not, is there a quick way of moving whatever can be moved to d: without having to reinstall? I know absolutely nothing about MySQL or PHP or Apache so I'm a bit worried about what might happen. Or, what about if I do a second installation on d: before removing the c: one (because I really need at least one working installation, and an installation in the wrong place is better than no installation at all)? Will that mess up any .ini files or anything else? Any assistance would be appreciated. :-)

Post Edited (12-08-06 06:23)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Move wamp installation
Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 08, 2006 05:32AM

Before attemp to do anything, remember to backup your data to somewhere safe first.

So you just want to keep www only, I mean you don't save nothing about database, right. That's easy, I have 2 ways for you:

1. Lazy way: Just move www to d: then edit httpd.conf to point document root to d:/www. Restart wampserver to take effect.

2. Detail way: Uninstall wamp, move wamp directory w/ everything inside to d: then reinstall wamp on d:/wamp. I do this all the time. Check more on my old post here, especially Backup section:

[forum.wampserver.com]

edit: If you also want to backup your mysql database, can NOT folllow the method above.

Post Edited (12-08-06 13:55)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Re: Move wamp installation
Posted by: nicky (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 08, 2006 06:19AM

Thanks, I managed to do this, I moved the www directory to D: and then edited httpd.conf in 2 places and it's working beautifully. :-)

Re: SOLVED: Move wamp installation
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: December 08, 2006 01:34PM

glad that could help ;-)

Post Edited (12-08-06 13:55)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.