*SOLVED* Accessing Files over local network
Posted by: sanfly (---.broadband-telecom.global-gateway.net.nz)
Date: December 04, 2006 07:05PM

Hi

I have setup wamp5 on my PC and Im trying to set it up so that I can access the files on other computers on the network in my house.

At the moment I can view the webpages fine on other computers by using the "Put Online" button from the tray icon. However, I also want to be able to access phpmyadmin (at the moment it just tells me access denied) and I would like to be able to access and edit the files remotely without having to re-install wamp in my shared folder.

Im running Windows XP home if that helps

Cheers

Post Edited (12-12-06 22:30)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accessing Files over local network
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: December 08, 2006 02:33PM

By default, phpmyadmin and sqlitemanager can't be accessible from outsiders, and should leave it that way for your own security. However, other computers wouldn't have problem to access if they are in the same network.

Posted by: Mark Jones (---.buckeyecom.net)
Date: December 08, 2006 06:17PM

If trying to connect to another PC in your LAN, try:

169.0.0.x/ where x is the unique IP addess of the PC running WAMP on your LAN.

localhost is always translated to 127.0.0.1 which means "this computer." Obviously, that won't work if you are trying to connect to another PC. :-)

Also, the PC running WAMP needs to have port 80 open, otherwise no browser can connect. Check your firewall software/hardware. Good luck.

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 09, 2006 05:45PM

169.0.0.x/ where x is the unique IP addess of the PC running WAMP on your LAN.

I tried it but not work

Date: December 10, 2006 02:10AM

yfastud: Thats my point, I am on the same local area network, but I get a forbidden access error when I try to access phpmyadmin through the second computer on my home network.

Mark Jones: Like I said in my first post, i CAN connect to the pages hosted on the wamp server, my problem is accessing phpmyadmin and also accessing the files themselves on the server.

Since my original post, I have tried adding another user to phpmyadmin with % for the host, but still no luck

Any further suggestions welcome

Cheers smiling smiley

Date: December 10, 2006 04:32AM

I have setup wamp5 on my PC and Im trying to set it up so that I can access the files on other computers on the network in my house.

A little curious here is why do you want to do that when your local computers are in the same house? Remember when phpmyadmin is enable for outside access, ANYONE can get into your mysql database, and just one little mistake will causes you a very very long headache.

Posted by: cronodragon (201.201.41.---)
Date: December 10, 2006 07:14AM

I have the same problem. I'm trying to access WAMP from another PC in the LAN with 192.168.0.1, and ofcourse I get the forbidden access message. There should be a way to make a mask or something for Apache to allow communication with 192.168.0.xxx IPs, then only local computers would have access... but I don't know how to change the configuration script for that purpose. Any idea?

Date: December 10, 2006 03:26PM

I have the same problem. I'm trying to access WAMP from another PC in the LAN with 192.168.0.1, and ofcourse I get the forbidden access message. There should be a way to make a mask or something for Apache to allow communication with 192.168.0.xxx IPs, then only local computers would have access... but I don't know how to change the configuration script for that purpose. Any idea?

if failing to access web pages, check port 80 in firewall and router. If failing to access phpmyadmin and sqlitemanager, they are locked by default.

Date: December 10, 2006 03:38PM

No, that's not the problem. I can access thru 127.0.0.1, but not thru 192.168.0.1 (from the same computer). And if the firewall were blocking the connection, I won't see anything at all.

As I said there should be a way to setup a mask to allow communication with 192.168.0.xxx IPs in Apache.

Post Edited (12-10-06 15:39)

Date: December 10, 2006 03:53PM

No, that's not the problem. I can access thru 127.0.0.1, but not thru 192.168.0.1

192.168.0.1 is ip for router, check and use local ip of wampserver unit

Date: December 10, 2006 04:21PM

Nope, that doesn't solve the problem of accessing the server with a LAN computer. I looked for information on how to configure Apache, and made this change:

# Controls who can get stuff from this server.
#
# onlineoffline tag - don't remove
Order Deny,Allow
# Deny from all
# Allow from 127.0.0.1
Allow from all

Now it works as I realized from the beggining. ;D

Date: December 10, 2006 04:51PM

So you didn't put your server in online mode through wampserver tray icon before? Is it easier and more convenient than go through config file, right?

Date: December 10, 2006 04:59PM

The server was online. When I start WAMP 5 it loads the services, but only allows 127.0.0.1.

Date: December 10, 2006 10:46PM

By default, server is in offline mode until you enable it

Date: December 12, 2006 10:14PM

A little curious here is why do you want to do that when your local computers are in the same house?

Not the issue here, the point is that I should be able to do it and I cant

# Controls who can get stuff from this server.
#
# onlineoffline tag - don't remove
Order Deny,Allow
# Deny from all
# Allow from 127.0.0.1
Allow from all

Mine is already set to allow from all

I figure its not a problem of accessing the file through ports or whatever, because if the port was closed sure I wouldnt be able to see the web pages/server index page, and also it would simply say that the file is not there, not that I dont have permission to access the file. It must be a setup problem somewhere within one of the wamp components or on my second computer, right?

Any other suggestions?

Date: December 12, 2006 10:30PM

Finally,

So the solution from cronodragon worked, I just had to edit it in the alias config file.

I set it to my computers router ip though (eg: 192.168.0.2), rather than "all", hopefully added security? Not to fussed about having to change it when the router assigns new IPs

Re: *SOLVED* Accessing Files over local network
Date: December 13, 2006 12:59AM

Not to fussed about having to change it when the router assigns new IPs

Reserve that ip in router so even restart computer, that computer still has that ip as long as you don't reset router.

I set it to my computers router ip though (eg: 192.168.0.2), rather than "all", hopefully added security?

It should be ok, my setup is for global access w/ 2 pass security, in which the users has to provide 2 sets of username and password:

1. First set to get through htaccess and get into the site that contains phpMyAdmin Central Copy.

2. A second set of username and password to login MySQL database through phpMyAdmin Central Copy; then, (s)he can only uses her/his assigned database, and of course unable to see and/or access the others' databases.

The setup above, especially phpMyAdmin Central Copy, is kind of the production style which is beyond the purpose of wampserver and that's why I wouldn't mention it here in this forum from the beginning.

Post Edited (12-13-06 01:20)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.