Multiple WAMP5 in tray
Posted by: phil (---.pocny.com)
Date: November 17, 2006 08:44PM

Hello.

I want to be able to run multiple WAMP5 instances on my PC (not just two apache virtualhosts).

I have installed two WAMP5 in two different directories, configured one of them to use 81 for apache and 3307 for mysql (the other one uses the default 80 and 3306 respectively).

However, after starting one WAMP5, and seeing its icon in the tray, if I start the second WAMP5, it seems not to start!

I think it detects if one instance is already running, and refuses to run a second one.

Why is this so? How can I overcome this?

Many thanks in advance for your help, and many thanks for supporting this nice project,

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multiple WAMP5 in tray
Posted by: phil (---.pocny.com)
Date: November 17, 2006 09:50PM

Ok I decided not to wait, and instead I used my linux expertise (hehe) and brute forced it in windows xp. Here is how I did it.

I installed two copies of WAMP5 (the names are hypothetical, and you can change them)
C:\DEV\WAMP5\ <-- I did *not* select automatic service install while installing this
C:\PROD\WAMP5\ <-- I *did* select automatic service install while installing this

I left the default configuration for the dev directory. The prod directory I changed in the following manner (basically change apache and mysql listen ports)
* httpd.conf I replaced :80 with :81 everywhere, and I changed Listen 80 to Listen 81
* my.ini I replaced 3306 with 3307 everywhere

So now the situation is as before I asked the question: I have prod with modified ports, set up to run automatically. While it is running, however, I am unable to run dev. So here is what I do:

First I install the dev apache2 as another service:
apache.exe -k install -n "wampapachedev"
(note you should be able to use "-i" instead of "-k install" for older versions of apache)

Second I install the dev mysql as another service:
mysqld-nt.exe --install wampmysqlddev
(note, older versions of mysql service might be called mysqld.exe)

Third I fix the dev wampserver.ini: replace all wampapache with wampapachedev and all wampmysqld with wampmysqlddev

Fourth I create a new Windows user called "DEV". I start the C:\DEV wamp by right clicking C:\dev\wamp5\wampserver.exe, selecting "Run as..." and selecting the "DEV" user. (You can also probably do this step by going into control panel -> admin -> services, and going into properties for the wampapachedev, wampmysqlddev services, and selecting the logon to be "DEV" ... I have not tested this.)

You can test all of this by going into localhost:80 and localhost:81, then go in each one to sqlitemanager -> test database -> t1 table -> display, and then edit one of the rows, and compare the edit on the other port, to make sure everything is good smiling smiley

edit: of course you will have to reconfigure sqliteadmin maybe phpmyadmin as well
edit: an even better way to install the dev services, is to skip steps "First" and "Second", and instead edit the install*.bat scripts in C:\DEV\WAMP5 replacing all wampapache with wampapachedev and wampmysqld with wampmysqlddev. Then you can use those scripts to install, instead of by hand, because those scripts supplly some extra possibly necessary parameters besides the service names...

Post Edited (11-17-06 22:14)

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.