Could not find settings with MySQL Administrator add-on
Posted by: abaird (38.117.247.---)
Date: November 16, 2006 11:29PM

I just installed the latest version of WAMP 5. Shortly after doing so I found the MySQL GUI tools and installed them (I didn't know about the add-on). After finding the add-on for WAMP for this GUI I de-installed MySQL GUI from the Control Panel (I am running XP) and installed the add on. I can use the tool ok but every time I start it it gives me the following error:

Could not find settings:
Either the server service or the configuration file could not be found. Startup variables and service section are therefore disabled.

This error message existed when I installed the MySQL GUI without the add-on as well. How can I resolve this error message?

I am running WAMP 5 1.6.6 on Windows XP.

Thanks in advance...

Alan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Could not find settings with MySQL Administrator add-on
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: November 17, 2006 03:27PM

the console is just a tool to use a command line to run mysql commands. you need the mysql server, which you just uninstalled to use the console.

CyberSpatium
WAMP English Forum Admin

Date: November 17, 2006 03:49PM

Apologies if this wasn't clear -

I didn't uninstall the mysql server. It's still running and I can use PHPmyAdmin, MySQLAdministrator and the command line to get information out of my DB. I only de-installed the MySQL GUI tools (which contain MySQLAdmin and MySQL Query Browser) and then re-installed using the add-on for WAMP.

The tool is uesable except it won't let me use the User Administration tab on the root user (which I am logged in as). It's otherwise fine except it gives the error message I stated above. I can use the MySQL Administrator on my colleagues database just fine without the error message.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't uninstall mysql server but I might be misunderstanding. Please clarify.

Thanks for the reply,
Alan

Posted by: atickner (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: November 20, 2006 07:44PM

Hi,

Have the same problem.

Have just installed WAMP5 v1.6.6 and the MySQL Tools Add-on v1.6.6 and when starting the MySQL Administrator with Server of localhost and username of root, I receive the error:

Could not find settings:
Either the server service or the configuration file could not be found. Startup variables and service section are therefore disabled.

This is a brand new O/S build of Windows XP and have only installed WAMP5 and the add-on.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Date: November 20, 2006 07:50PM

Well it looks like I am not alone. Additionally, I have wiped my install clean, went into the registry and removed anything I saw having to do w/ MySQL and WAMP, re-installed and I still have the same problem.

Alan

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: November 21, 2006 09:39AM

if you have the lastest versions of wamp it comes with the mysql console, so you dont need to download it and install it yourself.

CyberSpatium
WAMP English Forum Admin

Date: November 21, 2006 09:30PM

We must not be talking about the same thing because I clearly did not have MySQL Administrator or MySQL Query Browser until I installed the add-on for it. After installing the add-on, I have the links for MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query Browser underneath the MySQL console in the WAMP system tray display. I'm not having any problems with the console, its the add-on GUI tools that are provided by MySQL.

After trolling the MySQL.com site for hints on what is going wrong, it seems that MySQL Admin may be looking for the my.ini file in c:\windows. I put a copy of my.ini in c:\windows but it didn't work. Maybe there is another file that it is looking for?

Alan

Posted by: fugazer (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: November 25, 2006 09:25PM

Im having exactly the same problem:

Have we figured out a way to get this addon to work correctly??

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 02:21AM

I think the problem might be on v1.6.6.

Mine works fine w/ v1.6.5, even after testing uninstall and re-install

Posted by: Nadia Kirilova (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 04:05PM

Hi Alan,

did you find a solution to this problem?

I am struggling with the same thing - can't make the MySQL GUI Tools work with my WAMP5 1.6.6.

Even when I install just the WAMP server and go to mysql>console it asks me for a password, which for me is blank, the CMD goes anway and the PC makes a beep noice.

Are you using the default folder when installing the WAMP server? How about the GUI tools?

Regards,

Nadia

Posted by: mamont (---)
Date: November 29, 2006 05:54PM

You must be trying to use MySQL GUI Tools for version 5.0 with MySQL Server version 4 or earlier.
Since i've upgraded MySQL Server to version 5 this problem has gone.

Best Regards,
Alexey

Date: November 29, 2006 11:23PM

I'm using
Apache version :
Apache/2.0.59 (Win32)

PHP version :

Loaded extensions :
bcmath, calendar, com_dotnet, ctype, session, filter, ftp, hash, iconv, json, odbc, pcre, Reflection, date, libxml, standard, tokenizer, zlib, SimpleXML, dom, SPL, wddx, xml, xmlreader, xmlwriter, apache2handler, mbstring, mysql, mysqli, PDO, pdo_sqlite, SQLite

MySQL version :
5.0.27-community-nt

Everything is the default and I'm still having issues getting the GUI tools to work with v1.6.6. I haven't had time to re-install v1.6.5 but I suspect that this is the problem. I will re-test when I get back from vacation.

Alan

Posted by: Gadianton (66.245.253.---)
Date: November 30, 2006 09:16AM

Yep, I just spent a couple hours with the same exact problem. I would like to revert back to 1.6.5 but can't find any older versions on the wamp download page. Any status on this problem? There are similar posts on mysql.com which basically elude to the fact that mysql can't find the my.ini file.

Posted by: Gadianton (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: November 30, 2006 09:17AM

Here is the link to the mysql page:

[forums.mysql.com]

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: November 30, 2006 01:55PM

Here is all links for download 1.6.5

[forum.wampserver.com]

Hope this help

Posted by: steveryherd (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 12:07AM

If you install the MySQL GUI tools, MySQL Tray should find your service and it's .ini file and allow you to edit the Startup variables. I was unable to get MySQL Admin to do that on localhost, but the features still exists.

Posted by: whistl3r (---.mayo.edu)
Date: December 26, 2006 10:40PM

Same problem here. I've uninstalled / reinstalled, cleared the registry and variables and still receive the error. I'd wish the admins here would realize it's an issue with MySQL instead of assuming people just don't do the work to fix it.

I'm sure many of us would appreciate if the admins made available 1.6.5 until MySQL resolves the issue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.