Need help with wamp5 server
Posted by: hockey97 (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 28, 2006 07:12PM

Hi I really need help on my wamp server I got my server up and running and localhost works, but when I try at my school to access the server it could not ever find such server I used my ip adress to access my server, I the server was running all day even the computer that has ther server on it was running all day while I was at school, How could I get it public to the world wide web?? I did forworded it right I have another computer downstairs at my house I tried it on that and it works that computer is on my network I have router linksystem and on that computer downstair's I type in my computer's ip adress that is upstair's that uses the wamp server and it worked, however it didn't let me do any change's to the server just to access any files on the server to only view them or download ect. which means it works fine.

I need to know how to get wamp to be accessable to the world wide web.

I also want to have my own free domain name like I want to host it.
like for example www.mydomain.com I want it like that and I want to host it,
I got one DNS server but never used it, I tried it a coupld of times but never worked.
is a DNS server same as a nameserver??

What I plan to use the servers for is to host my webpages and also online multi-player games, and also have a e-mail service to people. I want it like a professional server like I want to have a professional webpage offering online gaming and also e-mail services and I want to have my own domain.

Thanks for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with wamp5 server
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: October 29, 2006 01:02AM

if your server is in offline mode, then you can only access it on your local computer as localhost. to be able to access it using your ip address, and make it accessible to others put it in online mode.

there are no free domain names out there. you will have to pay for it.

do not install and you do not need a dns server. just installing a dns server wont work. you need to configure it and it is not something you can search google to figure out how to do.

you can use wamp to host a webpage, but unless you have a dedicated T1 line or faster, your internet speed is not fast enough for that. if you dialup, forget it, you barely have enough bandwidth for one user.

do not offer email service. it wont take long before spambots find your insecure email server and start using it to send out millions of spam a day. then you will be in trouble with your ISP for running a web server and a mail server.

CyberSpatium
English Forum Admin

Posted by: hockey97 (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 29, 2006 02:52PM

Thanks for the advice, I have high speed internet cable so the bandwith is not a problem.

I did put the wamp server on online mode and only my computer and my downstair's computer can access it, I gavve a link of my ip adress that runs wamp to a friend on the pacific side of the U.S by aim and he click it and he could access it he said, so I didn't fully think he really checked so I wanted to test it out myself at school I am in eletronics class which is a college course and we have labs on the computers which we paid 300 bucks for which at the end of this year we take home, the computers uses the school's server to access the internet they do have firewalls and I tried to access my wamp server from that computer by typeing my ip adress of my computer which displaed an error page saying can't find page.

I also got my sister to check it on her labtop she lives far away from me and she could not access the wamp server while doing these test I have left the computer that has wamp5 server on it, on I left it on and It was on the online mode and say's that every services are running and are online when I hover my mouse by the small icon on the bottom where it represents the wamp server.

About the Domain thing I search on google and found fourms that a person has it's own domain name for free he is hosting it hims self and he gave a link to his sites I went on their and it was professional looking sites, he gave instructions on how to do it but the instructions were for only people who don't have router's

and I do I have router linksystem it's called. I already have a company hosting 2 sites, but don't like how they control things like the popup add's sometimes have adult content and also have viruses attached to it I get coplains daily on people who visit my website about those things, I contacted my hosting server provider and they said that their is no adult content ad's or viruses going around.

my hosting service provider has a fourm on their website which I went on and I saw many other people having the same problem, and those people pay's 25 bucks a month for having a pro account with them which they suppsoed to have the control over the ads and other stuff which turn's out not to be true.

SO I don't really trust paying a company to do hosting services for me becuse they have most control and I know they sell your e-mail adresses, I have an aol account and in my e-mail boxe I get 150 e-mails a day their all junk mail and sometimes it's my friend's or my sister's that e-mail me but I don't check anymore I just keep on deleting all the e-mails I gave some responses to some of the e-mails on how they found my e-mail adress and many told me that they bought it form AOL and some said they got it threw my school and I do have an account with them.

What I really want to use my own computer and have all the control over my server, and have my won Domain without buying a Domain name.

I don't know about How domains quite work, I mean like the only people that provide services of Domain names has to have the access to the back Bone of the internet or world wide web??
I understand what a domain name does, but don't know the reason why alot of people tell me to buy a Domain name, I don't know what's the difference between the people that serve Domain names and us,
I don't know The reason why we can't really host our own Domain name, I don't know if it's becuse you need to have access to the bare bone of the internet or their is some laws ect that has to be followed, like for example radio stations in America can broadcast their shows not leagally or they can buy and register a frequency for their station I don't know if that's the same case with server's with their own domain names??
I really need a clear picture on why It's best to just buy a Domain name, I could be also becuse it's complicated, I don't fully know.

Thanks for your time,

ps don't forget to turn your clock's back an hour, I am not talking about the computer clock I am talking about any manuel clocks.

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2006 04:10PM

About the Domain thing I search on google and found fourms that a person has it's own domain name for free he is hosting it hims self and he gave a link to his sites I went on their and it was professional looking sites, he gave instructions on how to do it but the instructions were for only people who don't have router's

List his url here, I check it out then let you know what you might miss or don't understand.

I understand what a domain name does, but don't know the reason why alot of people tell me to buy a Domain name, I don't know what's the difference between the people that serve Domain names and us,
I don't know The reason why we can't really host our own Domain name, I don't know if it's becuse you need to have access to the bare bone of the internet or their is some laws ect that has to be followed, like for example radio stations in America can broadcast their shows not leagally or they can buy and register a frequency for their station I don't know if that's the same case with server's with their own domain names??

I don't want to go into detail which might give you more confused, so here is the simple explain: In order for you to access a website worldwide (i.e yahoo.com), it needs the dns service that routes all your request to the destination, then return the result to your screen, which is the website you want to surf (i.e yahoo.com). The dns services must have "legal global registered server names" which is way more expensive and more complicated than just buy a domain.

I've bought my domain JLBN.com for just $3/year, and for 5 years only costed me $15. I don't know where you from, but a dinner for 2 in US cost more than $15 already, and now for just $15, I can use my domain for 5 full years, and from that 1 domain, I've already created more than 50 sub domains for a lot of different kinds of tests that my friends and I want to experience. Here is some:

[test.jlbn.com]
[mail.jlbn.com]
[forum.jlbn.com]
[ftp.jlbn.com]

I hope this might give you some clear info.

Hope this help

Post Edited (10-29-06 16:12)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: October 30, 2006 11:07PM

Thanks for the advice, I have high speed internet cable so the bandwith is not a problem.

it still wont be fast enough for any kind of gaming website. your upload speed is is not even close to your download speed. for example, I have comcast 6mbps download speed but my upload speed is limited to 768kbps (less then 1mbps). The upload speed is how fast your server will be. if you have dsl, then your speed is less then half of my speed.

that is enough for a few users using a forum hosted with wamp, but not even close to what you need to run a gaming server.

Also, I just checked your ISP Wide Open West, and they limit their upload speed ever more than comcast

[www1.wowway.com]

to learn more about broadband speed
[www.broadbandreports.com]

CyberSpatium
WAMP English Forum Administrator

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.