installing wampserver 5
Posted by: southwark (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 03:02AM

Hi,
I was following a tutorial for downloading and installing wampserver which I followed exactly.
But next the tutorial says - open your browser and type 'http://localhost' and it shows that the browser opens the index page in the www folder within the wamp folder - but that doesn't happen for me I just get a blank page. I also tried typing 127.0.0.1 but the same happens - what have I done wrong or missed here?

Thanks for reading.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: installing wampserver 5
Date: October 24, 2006 04:21AM

I figured it out myself - Apache service wasn't running and Skype was blocking the port. I shut down Skype and started up Apache and now all is well.

Thanks for reading.

Posted by: ppotier91 (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 07:57PM

Hi

I just reinstall my pc an got exactly the same trouble, I used Wamp since months/years, no problem at all, I used skype since one year.
The only way seems to desactivate skype, restart Apache service, and start Skype.
My Wamp vesion is 5.1.6.5

Does anyone have the same trouble ? found a fix ?

Keep in touch

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: November 06, 2006 08:45PM

apache is a web server, and web servers use port 80.skype is an messaging program, and i do not know why, but the developers of skype decided to use port 80 too. even though there were thousands of other ports to choose from, many of which are free. this causes a conflict with apache because apache needs that port to be free in order for apache to start. if another web server or program is using that port, apache will not start.

CyberSpatium
WAMP English Forum Admin

Date: November 06, 2006 09:04PM

Thanks of rthe repleis, guys, and thanks for the explanations.

The way I get around it is just to exit Skype - it's a nuisance, but it works which is better than nothing. So I am up and running now and much happier than when I made my first post!

Thanks again.

Posted by: hbbk131 (---.halliburton.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 10:30PM

About a year ago, there used to be a big write up on installing WAMP and configuring the PHP and Apache files so that you could test locally. I can not find these files and it has been so long since I had to set up WAMP I can not seem to get it to work. I can not test my PHP scripts is this big deal. Any clues?

Yes...I am a nOoBOobiE! tongue sticking out smiley

Date: November 06, 2006 10:48PM

Hi,
I camee to PHP and WAMP through the tutorial here:

[movielibrary.lynda.com]

you would have to pay a subscription to all the tutorials but you will notice that the first 6 or so are free to look at - and they are the ones which introduce you to PHP and installing WAMP etc.

These are the ones I followed and I am a newb too - so maybe take a look at them.

There are, of course, loads of tutorials out there, but the Lyneda ones are usually pretty good.

I hope this helps.

Posted by: hbbk131 (---.halliburton.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 11:05PM

Ah this is great I have free subscritption to that site, I went to the Flash Forward Seattle '06 and my company at the time paid for it. Thank you for the heads up.

-J

Yes...I am a nOoBOobiE! tongue sticking out smiley

Date: November 06, 2006 11:20PM

Oh cool!

Then you can go ahead and do the whole tutorial - while you're about ti check the others out too; I know there are lots of free tutorials on the web but I find the Lynda ones are always really useful and I always look there to see what's new.

Glad to be of help!

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: November 07, 2006 04:01AM

wamp is easy to install. it installs apache, mysql, php, phpmyadmin and sqliteadmin for you. this means you do not have to do any kind of configurations to get everything up and working, wamp does that for you. once you have installed wamp, click on the start wamp icon, open your browser and surf to: [localhost]

CyberSpatium
WAMP English Forum Admin

Posted by: Star (---.broadband-telecom.global-gateway.net.nz)
Date: December 08, 2006 12:51AM

It may be easy but I have tried 6 times to install this program and it still will not work.

I am using windows xp sp2 I have not change any of the install defaults but I cannot even connect to local host. I do not use Skype and my firewall is set to allow WAMP and Apache to run.

I am going mad here with this thing wanted to get using it straight away now after 2 weeks still no further.

tried ready the post in here and cannot find a darn thing that tells me what has gone wrong.

Any ideas anyone

Posted by: yfastud (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 08, 2006 05:34AM

did you check my old post here?

[forum.wampserver.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.