problems with smtp
Posted by: assassin9110 (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: October 23, 2006 07:04PM

hello, im using wamp and im using a smtp server with gmail becuz i tried localhost but it didnt work (anythign with emails dont work in forums) so i tried smtp server with gmail

i followed this

[gmail.google.com]

and

[mail.google.com]

and in my php.ini these are the settings

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = smtp.gmail.com
smtp_port = 465

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = myemail@gmail.com

and whenever i do anything with emails (for ex. like say if ppl wanna retrieve there info thru emails the emails dont go) i want to kno why it doesnt go...plz help

and is there a way that instead using a smtp server, i can use just php meaning that i can use localhost...cuz when i do telnet localhost 25 it says it failed connection and etc...plz help me to get this working

thats the only probelm im having is with the emails...i just want them to work..plz help

and im using vbulletin forums thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: problems with smtp
Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: October 24, 2006 12:26AM

do not install an smtp server with wamp. spam-bots patrol the internet by the millions searching for insecure smtp servers they can use to use to send their spam from. that way you take the blame since the spam came from your server, not the spammers. you will get caught by your isp. you could be in big trouble since 99.999% of isp's do not allow you to host any websites with your isp account; and sending spam is an even bigger no-no.

the safest approach to be able to send and receive emails using your php scripts without the need for a server is to use phpmailer. it is very popular open source php mail framework.
[phpmailer.sourceforge.net]

here is a sample of using phpmailer to use gmail.

$mail = new PHPMailer();

$mail->IsSMTP(); // send via SMTP
$mail->Host = "smtp.gmail.com"; // SMTP servers
$mail->SMTPAuth = true; // turn on SMTP authentication
$mail->Username = "myemail@gmail.com"; // SMTP username
$mail->Password = "mypassword"; // SMTP password

Posted by: assassin9110 (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: October 24, 2006 12:28AM

thanks for the reply, how do i use it, where do i put the files in?

and how do i edit those configs...what is the file name where u got those configs?

so what do i do with the php.ini do i leave it like that or put localhost instead

can u tell me what to put

thanks

Post Edited (10-24-06 00:29)

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: October 24, 2006 03:18PM

there is complete documentation at the phpmailer website.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.