phpmyadmin at IP address
Posted by: maysun (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 06:57PM

I can connect to phpmyadmin fine from localhost and also connect to my WAMP server from my IP address. However, I can not view phpmyadmin from the IP address becuase the permissions are not set properly. (I guess)

It still doesn't allow access after I changed the phpmyadmin.conf file to:

Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all

I followed the instructions at
[forum.wampserver.com] , but I'm still unable to view phpmyadmin from the outside world.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: phpmyadmin at IP address
Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 08:11PM

Yes, it's my post and it should work, so the question is you change the whole thing from this:

<Directory "c:/wamp/phpmyadmin/">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride all
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Directory>

To this:

<Directory "c:/wamp/phpmyadmin/">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

Then restart wampserver to take effect.

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: October 20, 2006 08:19PM

remove the Order Allow,Deny and Allow from all, edit that setting in your phpmyadmin config file is way to advanced for a novice user. search this forum for topics on how to set mysql user permissions and setting up a login screen to protect access to phpmyadmin.

Posted by: maysun (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 08:31PM

Thanks yfastud! I just needed to restart my web server. (I don't think there is a note about that in you instruction article). Anyways, it works now smiling smiley

I don't know what CyberSpatium is talking about. Sounds like screwy advice, but thanks for the interest anyway.

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: October 20, 2006 09:41PM

you said you where editing your phpmyadmin.conf file:

> It still doesn't allow access after I changed the phpmyadmin.conf file to:
>
> Order Allow,Deny
> Allow from all

there is a section in your phpmyadmin conf file that deals with allow from and deny from directives. these are very, very, very advanced settings to use in your phpmyadmin conf file. so i was just stating in my reply that it would be better to use mysql user permissions and phpmyadmins login feature to protect phpmyadmin, versus trying to use allow and/or deny directives (which i was under the impression was the way you where trying to use).

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 21, 2006 02:00AM

He means good, not screwy advice as you thought because now your mysql server is wide open to anyone, and you know most people don't try to do the bad thing, but unfortunately sometimes any of them just makes a little... mistake that causes you a very... big time. You might think that "Yeah! yeah! Right!!! I didn't tell anyone about my server, even my beloved half". If you really think so, think again. You know, some people out there are very "polite" and afraid to "disturb" you; therefore, they never ask your permission at all, just simply enter your server.

So his advice is like this:

[test.jlbn.com]

Meaning that anyone has to provide a set of username and password in order to get into your mysql database.

Hope this help

Post Edited (10-21-06 02:30)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Posted by: maysun (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: October 21, 2006 02:40AM

Thanks guys! I guess I didn't understand CyberSpatium's first post, but now it all makes more sense with the clarification. Keep up the good work! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.