404 again on WAMP
Posted by: PJkinann (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2006 04:37AM

Would anyone know why I possibly cannot do more than ONE folder in WAMP and why I continually get a 404 not found error message when I try to view a php contact file.

Trying to open these files directly from the www directory and also from Dreamweaver.

I can view a contact.php file folder name "folder1" and here is the path: C:\wamp\www\folder1

But I cannot view a contact.php file from "folder2" and here is the path: C:\wamp\www\folder2

I have of course used anonymous folder names as I was unsure if mentioning the name of a site was allowed here.

I have redefined the site numerous times and done it exactly the way I have done the folder1 site, and yet when I try to view the contact.php file from the folder2 site, it gives me a 404 error.

But when I view the contact.php file from within the folder1 site it views just fine.

I can also open the WAMP file in the [localhost] and see it.

I just can't figure out what else to do? For some reason this site just won't let me view it on the server. I can, however, upload them to my REAL server and view them.

But why can I view some files and not others? Any ideas at all? This is so frustrating.

PJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 404 again on WAMP
Date: September 28, 2006 04:44AM

I was browsing the forum trying to see if anyone else ever had this kind of problem, and I found someone asking about how to define several folders within their wamp www folder.

So is that my problem? That I can only define ONE folder at a time in the www WAMP folder

I found this where you were explaining to the other person how to set up 3 different folders: ok, so now when you access your website with your browser, [localhost] will access website1. [localhost] will access website2. [localhost] will access website3

Or did that pertain to something else?
Here is that thread: [forum.wampserver.com]

Post Edited (09-28-06 04:47)

PJ

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2006 04:57PM

you are all over the board here. are you having a problem access your folders with dreamweaver, or with IE?

Date: September 28, 2006 08:12PM

I don't know which it is, could be wamp too.

Here is what I do. I have two folders in the www folder of wamp. Each has a contact.php file.

I open folder 1, click on a contact.php file, it opens in DW, Preview in browser, opens in IE. I can see the page.

Go to folder 2, click on that file contact.php, opens in DW, Preview in browser, I get a 404 file not found error message.

Both folders are in WAMP WWW. Both are contact.php files are.

One I can view, one I cannot.

Post Edited (09-28-06 20:13)

PJ

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2006 10:36PM

i have been using dreamweaver for years and never had any problems like that. did you start apache first??

Date: September 29, 2006 03:24AM

Yeah, I've been using DW for years too and never had any problems like this!
And of COURSE I started WAMP, which tells me that both services are running: Apache and MySQL.

But again, I wouldn't have been able to view the other file had Wamp not have been running.

PJ

Date: September 29, 2006 05:37AM

Will you tell me this? What is the difference between site root relative and document root relative because I changed my setting to site root relative and now I can view the php pages.

But what will that do when I upload the pages to the server? Will it cause different paths to create an issue?

Thanks

PJ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.