cannot start apache
Posted by: 7aken (196.1.124.---)
Date: September 25, 2006 08:40AM

hi guys,

so i cant get apache to start. i have closed every program which i think may be using port 80 but it doesnt help. when i use the option to test port 80 i get the message 'your port 80 is not actually in use'

help!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cannot start apache
Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: September 25, 2006 08:46AM

make sure you enable apache in your firewall, and if you use windows firewall, enable it there too.

Date: September 25, 2006 08:48AM

mcafee firewall turned off, not using windows firewall

cats have nine lives - which makes them ideal for experimentation

Date: September 25, 2006 10:14AM

are you using skype, it uses the same port as apache. if skype is running, apache will not start.

also, if you are using windows xp pro, 200, or 2003, it comes with iis. since iis is a webserver it uses the same port as apache. make sure iis is not started or running or apache will not start.

Date: September 26, 2006 07:05AM

Skype nor iis running. im confused as to what it could be????

Date: September 26, 2006 02:47PM

try changing the port apache listens to to see if that works. open your httpd.conf file and find:
Listen 80

Change it to
Listen 81

restart apache and see if it works.

Date: September 27, 2006 08:17AM

still not working. this is so frustrating.

Date: September 27, 2006 10:02AM

what ISP are you using? since port 80 and 81 are both httpd ports, your isp maybe blocking all httpd ports.

Date: September 28, 2006 06:14AM

its not an isp problem as im dual booting winxp and mandriva linux on a laptop. im using lampp with mandriva without problems. its wamp on win xp thats not working. i have turned off every service i have thought maybe causing the problem along with any software which may have to use port 80 but apache still wont start. when i test port 0 i get the error 'port 80 is not actually used' . ive re-installed twice but still no go.........

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2006 04:53PM

check out the very last post i just made on this thread with the same problem.
[forum.wampserver.com]

Date: October 02, 2006 12:54PM

hi cyberspatium,

well, im at the point of pulling my hair out. nothing is using port 80. at this very moment, apache has just started for the first time since i installed it but i cannot access localhost. re-install doesnt do anything

Date: October 02, 2006 01:08PM

in my apache error log i had been getting a 2044 error up until today. now apache has started, i cannot access localhost and im getting the error 3356. firewall disabled

Posted by: Brett (---.dsl.sbndin.ameritech.net)
Date: October 03, 2006 01:09AM

Hi,

I have the same problem - this sucks!

I believe it's related directly to PHP4/PHP5 Add-on, here's why, and what happened. I installed Wamp, and ran it, all ran fine, and I connectted to my localhost, and even ran PhpMyAdmin fine. Then I installed the MySQL admin Add-On, again, worked fine, all is well...

Then I installed the PHP4.4.4 ADD-ON for WAMP5 1.6.5, NOW, still everything works, when I connect to index.php it shows that I have Php version 4.4.4 instead of 5.x.x as it did previously... then I click on the Wamp Control Panel and choose Switch to PHP5, after this - I return and Ctrl->Reload on index.php, still it shows PHP4, then I try several other things, not sure what they all are but for sure stopping/starting services, etc, etc... because now when I try reload all I see is 'Cannot Find Server', then I notice Apache is NOT RUNNING, and will NOT run again! What a pain in the ass! Now, I follow all of your instructions, every time I see the same thing as above:
'your port 80 is not actually used',

I check BOTH Firewalls McAfee AND Microsoft (which is NOT running) and I setup to allow Apache, but Apache will NOT start no matter how many times I choose to Re-start service... so it looks like I'm back to manually messing with all of the files, what a crock... I just wanted to setup a test environement for PHP4/PHP5, now I've got hours of wasted time spent - and nothing to show for it... so I'm off to check out this link:
[devzone.zend.com]

Let me know if you ever solve this - it's too bad really as it looks like a great thing, but apparently Apache, or something has changed since you got this working properly, I suspect you'll have hundreds of people with this problem when they try installing this new version ; (

Thanks,
-Brett

Date: October 03, 2006 01:35AM

installing the php4 addon does not change anything in apache, so I doubt this could be an apache error. I have both php5 and the php4 addon working fine, no problems. do you have any other versions of apache or php installed anywhere on your computer? such as easyphp or another program, or your own custom install of apache or php?

Date: October 03, 2006 01:47AM

Hi,

> installing the php4 addon does not change anything in apache, so I doubt this could > be an apache error. I have both php5 and the php4 addon working fine, no problems. > do you have any other

Ok, I re-installed and again, ALL runs fine with PHP5, I'm not about to try installing the PHP4.4.4 option as I'm sure it will break everything!

I have NO other Apache or EasyPHP or any PHP, 1st time install (FRESH, brand new, clean). I never installed ANY of php or apache prior on this machine. So, it's definitely a problem with the PHP4.4.4 option as I said....

Here's my setup: WinXP SP2, 1GB RAM, McAfee Personal Firewall on, Windows Firewall Off (though both configured to allow apache in the wamp folder).

Best of luck figuring it out, as I said, it's almost 100% something to do with either the PHP4.4.4 option, OR the MySQL Admin package, since when I installed both of those it broke everything....

Let me know if I can answer any other questions, I'm sure you're going to hear about this from anyone trying to install these packages - as obviously it's not working ; )

Thanks,
-Brett

Date: October 03, 2006 02:25AM

the php4 package has been around for some time now and you are the only one having this particular problem.

Date: October 03, 2006 08:03AM

so im still in the same position, apache starting but cannot access localhost or phpmyadmin. funnily enough, my setup is much the same as brett' although i have mcafee turned off.... i havent installed any other add-ons. i think i'll just have to develop under linux, frustrating however as i have wamp running on my desktop system just fine.

Date: October 03, 2006 04:58PM

Hi,

> i havent installed any other add-ons. i think i'll just have to develop under linux,

If it helps you should be able to also do what I did, UNINSTALL Wamp completely, and then re-install it with just the single Php5 setup, you should still be able to run Php4 code through that... I know not quite what you wanted...

Ok, I just tested it, I re-installed WITH the 4.4.4 version AND 5.1.6 and all runs as expected, so I'm guessing the problem is with the MySQL Admin Add-On, that's the only other thing I installed, and when I did it shut down Apache... so there you go 7aken, if you want you can install wamp, and install the php4 add-on and all will be fine, just do not install the MySQL Admin add-on!

Good luck, let us know if you find anything that works for you?

Thanks,
-Brett

Date: October 05, 2006 06:44AM

hey guys,

just to let you know, i have started using xampp (i dont think wamp and xampp are in competition...) but had teething problems with it aswell. again i could not access localhost but the problem was more visible to me when i done netstat -noa. i installed both apache and mysql as services and on startup, in the task manager, i could see two instances of apache

netstat -noa shows

local address state pid
0.0.0.0:80 listening 3960
127.0.0.1:80 close_wait 3960
0.0.0.0:443 listening 3960
127.0.0.1:443 close_wait 3960

taskmanager shows the pid 3960 as being apache.exe but it didn't seem to be using any cpu resources but was using 19,232k memory

at the same time, there was another instance of apache.exe opened in taskmanager with pid 3384 (this wasnt showing with netstat -noa) and that one was using 90-98% cpu resources and 21,156k memory usage

i followed the xampp faq which said

Please, enable following line = > # Win32DisableAcceptEx in the /xampp/Apache/conf/httpd.conf.

In this case correct is: Win32DisableAcceptEx

The newer Apache versions have been an improved Winsock 2 support. But it does not work correctly with the Windows home versions. The statement "Win32DisableAcceptEx" in the httpd.conf deactivate this support. Sometimes, some Windows NT systems make trouble too. We do not know why.

so the problem appears to have gone and i can now run apache and mysql on my laptop, but im still running wamp on my desktop. cheers for all the help guys!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.