Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2Q: MySQL service stops - and www folder
Posted by: PJkinann (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2006 09:07PM

1. Whenever I START all services, immediately both are running and then one drops off. I have discovered it's the MySQL service. Going in to the menu for WAMP and restarting Apache, I can see where it starts. When I restart MySQL it immediately runs, but then stops, and I'm back to only 1 service running.

2. Also, I have put my files in the www folder of WAMP, but when I view them in a browser I get a 404 page not found. The files ARE in the www folder of WAMP, so I can't figure out why they cannot be found??

Thanks
PJ

PJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2Q: MySQL service stops - and www folder
Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: September 23, 2006 09:36PM

1.) do you have any other copies of mysql running or installed? if so, disable them or uninstall it. also, make sure your firewall allows mysql to run. also, if you are using windows firewall, make sure you allow mysql there too.

2.) you need to start apache before you can access your website, use
[localhost]

Date: September 23, 2006 09:57PM

Thank you for your response.

No, I don't have other MySQL services running. But there may be an old version of MySQL installed, so I'll check that and UNinstall it.

I don't know how to allow something through a firewall.

And yes, I start WAMP before I use the website, and strangely enough I can view the [localhost] site, just can't view my own pages with php extension in the www folder. But I DO have my own folder (named for my website) within the WWW folder. Would that make a difference?

I can always see the [localhost] WAMP page. But I just noticed it says version francaise? Oh dear.............maybe I need the English version? SMILE
Version 1.6.5 - version française

PJ

Date: September 23, 2006 10:09PM

I was able to keep the services running by uninstalling another version of MySQL that was on my computer. So far so good.

However, I still cannot view my pages in the www folder, and again, there is a folder named newland for my project that I have put inside the www folder, but I get a 404 page can't be found when I try to view those pages through the browser, and WAMP is running.

Hmmm.................so that is a real mystery.

PJ

Posted by: caley (70.55.151.---)
Date: September 24, 2006 07:47AM

What browser are you using when you get the 404 message?

If it's your editor's browser then you may have to check that the server mappings are correct in your editor's settings. Make sure they match your DocumentRoot as defined in httpd.conf ( /wamp/www/ by default )

Date: September 24, 2006 08:32AM

I'm using IE6 and when I try to open the httpd.conf file it says windows dowsn't know what to open that file with, so it doesn't open.

Is there another way to get to it?

PJ

Date: September 24, 2006 08:41AM

Open httpd.conf with NotePad or another text editor. Ctrl "f" to find DocumentRoot

You can change your DocumentRoot here also. If you do... you will have to restart the apache service before the change will take effect.

Also are you manually typing the path to the file you wish to view into your browser?

Date: September 24, 2006 08:54AM

No I am just opening the file through a defined site in DW into the browser IE6. My defined site is in the www root folder of WAMP.

I'll open the httpd.conf file with Notepad and see what it says. I've never looked at that file before.

PJ

Date: September 24, 2006 08:58AM

I certainly can't understand all that on the config file, but just curious, it does say: ServerRoot "c:/wamp/apache2"

So should my files be there? and not in the www? Except that everyone I know has their files in the www of WAMP, so why should mine be any different - I guess, huh?

Hmm..........back to square one. I don't understand the config file so that's kind of not helping me at this point.

Thank you.............maybe I'll try to REdefine the site or something, although I have done that already, but guess it never hurts to do it again.

PJ

Date: September 24, 2006 09:07AM

When you look in the httpd.conf file you should be looking for DocumentRoot NOT ServerRoot.

My guess is your DW server mappings are not configured to your DocumentRoot. Look in the DW help files if you don't know where the server mapping settings are found in DW....

Also try manually typing your path into your browser

eg. [localhost]

or

[localhost]

that should help you troubleshoot.

Date: September 24, 2006 08:41PM

Thank you very much. I will troublshoot with the info you gave me and see what I can come up with.
Pamela

PJ

Posted by: caley (70.55.154.---)
Date: September 24, 2006 08:48PM

k good luck!

If you can access your files by manually typing their location into the browser, then you're getting somewhere... smiling smiley
c.

Date: September 24, 2006 11:29PM

I just tried accessing by just typing in the location manually, and I CAN smiling smiley see my page that way.

Hmmm.........this is strange.

PJ

Date: September 25, 2006 01:40AM

So you can see your page and localhost is equal to the DocumentRoot right???

That's what i thought...

It again suggests that the original 404 issue is with your editor, DreamWeaver. DreamWeaver is not pointing to your DocumentRoot.

Try looking up "server mappings" or "defining localhost" within your DreamWeaver... you'll need to adust this setting to correspond with your DocumentRoot.

Date: September 25, 2006 03:11AM

Yes, I can see my page when I open it by typing in the browser the [localhost]

So if you think the 404 means it's with my editor.......hmmm..........so strange really because the path through DW to my folder is this: C:\wamp\www\myfolder\

....which is where the files are.

Then it says Testing Server Folder, and I have C:\wamp\www\myfolder/ there also.

Sigh...............

Here is my DocumentRoot in the conf file:
DocumentRoot "C:/wamp/www"

Strange that it doesn't work in my browser, huh? Using IE6. I can see the page in DW with no problem, but when I go to Preview In Browser, it takes me to the 404, and then it shows me a temp page [localhost] in the browser address bar where I can type in the correct location. But it should be able to be viewed just when I test it, not go to a 404 page first and then type in another url. Hmmm.........I'm stumped.

But I'll check DW for some info on server mappings and see what I can find.

Thank you again.

PJ

Date: September 25, 2006 03:34AM

yes that does sound strange... i don't use DW so i can't give you much advice...

Server mappings must be fine if the DW browser displays ok... It's only when you want to view in an external browser that things go awry.....

Maybe there are "external browser" settings in DW that you could fiddle with.

How about not using IE6 as your default browser... try Mozilla FireFox. Again... might help you with troubleshooting...

Date: September 25, 2006 04:27AM

When I view it in Firefox, I get that it cannot be found and it shows a temporary page, which is rather strange.

[forum.wampserver.com]

Hmmm............well, back to the drawing board, other than I'm still going to look in DW about this and see what I can locate.

Thank you for all your suggestions, and at least you got WAMP running all services for me. That's a big plus! So thank you very much.
Pamela

PJ

Date: September 25, 2006 04:29AM

I am unsure if I can edit that post above, so I just wanted to add that this is what came up when I tried to view it in Firefox.

The requested URL /TMPnm5tf64kjp.php was not found on this server.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.59 (Win32) PHP/5.1.6 Server at localhost Port 80

PJ

Date: September 25, 2006 05:02AM

PJkinann wrote:

> So if you think the 404 means it's with my
> editor.......hmmm..........so strange really because the path
> through DW to my folder is this: C:\wamp\www\myfolder\
>
> ....which is where the files are.
>
> Then it says Testing Server Folder, and I have
> C:\wamp\www\myfolder/ there also.
>

What if you tried changing the above from

C:/wamp/www/myfolder/

to

C:/wamp/www/

or maybe you already tried that....

Date: September 25, 2006 06:11AM

I tried just the root folder itself, rather than a folder within the root folder and that didn't work either; however, GOOD NEWS!!! I REdefined my site, did it the same way I've always done it, and then it reloaded the cache and I held my breath. I CAN VIEW IT!!! I was totally shocked! Still am. Afraid to go back and look. I better though......whoa......yup! still there!

Is that too awesome!

So must have just been a little glitch somewhere and redefining the site fixed it.

So thank you again SO MUCH for hanging in there with me until we checked everything - all the paths and DocumentRoots, etc.

Everything was a good learning lesson and familiarized me more with what is going on and now I can view my site also!

Can beat that! Thank you again for all your help.
Pamela

PJ

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.