Accessing Xoops from outside
Posted by: jfm (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 16, 2006 05:14PM

I installed WAMP on a system with Win 2000 Server, and I have to say what a great package! Worked "right out of the box." Might have been a little too easy, though. Made me want to try things I am not really qualified to do--like install Xoops (PHP based CMS) and try to serve it up!

Anyway, Xoops installed fine, and I can access it great via localhost, but it does not serve up right when I access it from outside. I get the login page, but it's all messed up, and, when I try to login, I get the "The page cannot be displayed" message with the following at the bottom: "Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer ."

Any ideas? Remember, I know only slightly more than nothing about MySQL and Apache.

Thanks,
Jere

P.S.
When I created the DB in phpMyAdmin, it asked for "Collation" and I chose UTF8 bin. Don't know if this was the correct choice or not, or if this may be part of the problem. I never had to make this choice when creating DB's under cPanel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accessing Xoops from outside
Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: August 16, 2006 06:02PM

to access your server using your ip address, put your server in online mode

Date: August 16, 2006 06:48PM

I did, and, like I said, I can reach the server, and it delivers the login page for the Xoops site. It's just all messed up with no graphics. And then when I try to login, I get the error as quoted in the first post.

Jere

Date: August 16, 2006 07:12PM

More info:

I can reach the server at [72.148.198.53]. This gets me to the login page (which, as I said, is all messed up). When I try to login, the request gets re-directed to [localhost]. That's why it can't find the login php file. I assume that this is happening within Xoops. Any ideas?

Jere

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.