Backup and restore all
Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: July 24, 2006 07:25PM

Very excited to share this with everyone.

Wonder how you would do when you need to re-format hd but have too many services such as wamp, ftp server, mail server, forum, so on with a lot of associated accounts and data.

Before, I was always use each service to backup its structure, then manually save all data; after re-format hd, re-install windows and all services, manually again to insert data back. Easy to say but it's really a pain to do so because it costed me days even weeks, of course my spare time, he he...

Now, I try a new way, or at least it's new to me, and it only took me 2 or 3 hrs for everything include re-format hd, re-install fresh windows, all services, and backup all data.

Here how I did it: Backup the whole wamp dir to somewhere safe; then, re-format hd, re-install fresh windows and all services. Now, stop and exit all services. Rename/remove wamp dir, then copy/move saved wamp dir into location it should be, and voila everything is there and run flawlessly. NOTE: can only do this only if already manage to setup root dir for other services inside wamp dir while installation.

Please, share it here if you have any other better way.

Keep me posted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Backup and restore all
Posted by: areimann (---.westridge.com)
Date: July 28, 2006 09:46PM

that is the way i would do it. i have done similar things in linux...for example:

backup the mysql directory, then format and install the new OS.

then install MySQL (the same version, or if it is mysql 4.1.x, i would install a 4.1.x version, don't go from 4 to 5 this way, you probably would loose data).

then copy the backed up data into the same mysql directory. it works like a charm.

Re: Backup and restore all
Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 04:20AM

Thanks for having the same idea, at least got companion finally. He he.............

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.