WAMP working version
Posted by: DebW (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2006 03:12AM

I've just spent the whole day trying to get this last version to work. Can someone tell me the last working version? I'll just go there and try to get some real work done....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAMP working version
Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: July 11, 2006 03:18AM

what problems are you having?

Date: July 11, 2006 03:25AM

At first I couldn't access the local host or PHPMySQL at all, so I uninstalled and tried again, from a different mirror.

Then, it was the PHPMyAdmin config file password problem that is found on other posts, which I could not fix using the prescribed method because the MySQL console just kept closing everytime I tried to enter anything -- or nothing.

Then, I noticed while looking at the local host page that MySQL didn't show installed at all, even though the services all showed running!

I think this version needs a few more tweeks -- I think it's a great idea, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Date: July 11, 2006 03:43AM

you need to start apache and mysql before you can access them. since you are not an experienced system admin, do not use the mysql console, use the method in the second post here:

[forum.wampserver.com]

Date: July 11, 2006 02:57PM

CyberSpatium wrote:

> you need to start apache and mysql before you can access them.
> since you are not an experienced system admin, do not use the
> mysql console, use the method in the second post here:
>
> [forum.wampserver.com]

Deb's reply:

I appreciate your helpfulness, CyberS., but I looked at the "...6816" post and it requires a successful install of MySQL to actually open the phpMyAdmin via the local host, and I had two strikes against me. MySQL didn't install, and the corrupted phpMyAdmin config file correction couldn't be performed. I actually think my Symantec security is the source of the problem, but as you realized, I am not an experienced admin, and setting up my wireless network connection was a nightmare that I don't wish to revisit! (I had to recruit a former coworker network guru help me and he's since moved out of my reach.)

I'd try to recreate the problem to be more specific, if I thought the eleventh time would be different, but I uninstalled, restored my computer to its pre-install point, and am moving on. I will keep my eyes on this forum to see if a useful (for less technical folks like me) version comes up. Until then, au revoir.

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: July 11, 2006 03:36PM

Don't give up so easy like that!

If your MySQL couldn't start mean that you've already had a problem with installation. Besides firewall, try to figure out if anything like IIS, skies, or any other program might prevent wamp installation perfectly. Also check if your ip provider have port 80 locked or not.

Better start with the unit that only has windows sp1; if sp2, disable windows firewall, then install wamp, if everything works ok, install needed programs one by one to figure out which one causes the problem. Or if you don't have another unit, try with a different hard drive with clean windows installation then start troubleshoot from there. Slow but effective though.

Hope this help.

Post Edited (07-11-06 15:44)

Have fun,

FREE One A Day
FREE Photo
FREE Games
FREE Websites
FREE Portable GPS
FREE WAMP Guides

Date: July 11, 2006 11:38PM

there have been a few posts here before from other people having problems getting apache and mysql to work with Norton. If you do not know how to config norton to allow apache and mysql to connect, check out the norton support site. I would help you but I have not used norton for a few years now.

Also, you have to be connected to the internet for apache and mysql to start. so, if you are not connected, connect and try to start them again.

Just a note, I have wamp working fine Windows XP home, w/sp2, and ZoneAlarm Pro security suite. It was easy to config zone alarm to allow apache and mysql. I just started them, and zone asks if I want to allow them to access the internet. I select yes, and that is it... working.
www.zonelabs.com

Post Edited (07-11-06 23:42)

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP Forum Admin

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.