Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
wamp icon in system tray: can't right or left click
Posted by: simoncarne (---.220.137.230.bcube.co.uk)
Date: April 22, 2024 06:13PM

1 – Windows 10 64 bit
3 - Apache 2.4.46
4 - PHP 7.4.9
5 - MySQL 5.7.31
5a - MariaDB 10.4.13
6 - WampServer icon Green
7 - In the file c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts, all lines begin with #
8 – I have access to localhost (Homepage WampServer)
8a – NO error message at the bottom of the page
9 – I have access to phpMyAdmin?
10 -
11 – I use ZoneAlarm Antivirus/Firewall
12 - C:\wamp64\
13 – I don’t believe I have a Virtual Host (but I’m not sure what that term means).
============================

I have seen similar questions to this one on this forum, but I haven't found an answer that works for me, so I am looking for more help - if possible.

I have been using wamp successfully for several years. Today, I upgraded to 3.3.5 64 bit. The services have all loaded and the tray icon is green, but right- and left- clicking on the icon have no effect.

I have downloaded the latest version of check_vcredist.exe to check that I have the correct Visual C++ installed and it says I do.

I have visited localhost in my browser, which works as expected.

I have also visited phpmyadmin successfully.

I have also uninstalled wamp and reinstalled it, but I get the same result: localhost and phpmyadmin both OK, but tray icon cannot be clicked.

I have also installed traymenumanager3.2.6.1.exe and excluded the wamp folder from my anti-virus (etc software. I have even tried (temporarily) turning off my virus (etc) software but that has made no difference.

I have also rebooted my PC several times (!!).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2024 01:46AM by simoncarne.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wamp icon in system tray: can't right or left click
Date: April 22, 2024 06:23PM

A further thought ...

If it's not possible to find a solution to my problem, is there an alternative way to access the menus that appear on a right- and left-click?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2024 09:17PM by simoncarne.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2024 08:43AM

Hi,

Are you up to date with the updates for your version of Windows 10 or 11?

The Wampserver 3.3.5 update installs Tray Menu Manager 3.2.6.1.

There is no alternative to the left-click and right-click menus, except for access to localhost via 'http://localhost/' in the browser address bar.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: April 23, 2024 09:22AM

I have checked and it turns out that my PC has failed to install KB5034441 and has been failing for several months. Some research has revealed that this is a common problem. I will look for a way to resolve the problem and update you once I have done that.

Thanks for your response.

Date: April 25, 2024 12:00AM

I have made numerous attempts to install the update KB5034441, but all have been unsuccessful. (I have resized my recovery partition, which is supposed to fix the problem but it didn't.)

Do you think this particular is causing the problem with my tray icon? If it's not, do you have any suggestions for fixing the icon?

Many thanks.

Date: April 25, 2024 09:03AM

Hi,

I don't think it's the non-installation of KB5034441 that's causing the problem.

But I don't know what could be!

What I'm going to suggest you do requires you to spend "some time".

- 1 - After backing up your databases and local sites, uninstall Wampserver.

- 2 - Uninstall all Microsoft Visual C++ 20xx Redistributable/Additional/Minimum.
This can be done easily enough to remember via Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a program. See Note 1

- 3 - Restart the machine

- 4 - Install all necessary VC++ using the instructions at the bottom of the https://wampserver.aviatechno.net/ page.
Best way to install Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
This may take some time

- 5 - Restart the machine

- 6 - Install Wampserver 3.3.5 64bit

Note 1: How to access the Control Panel (Still available with Windows 10 and 11)
- Settings
- Customize
- Themes
- Desktop icon settings
- Check Control Panel
- OK

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: April 25, 2024 10:04AM

I am willing to spend time on this, but first I want to double-check that I have understood what I need to back up.

My wamp installation is in C:\wamp64, so when you say "local sites", I believe you mean the contents of the folder C:\wamp64\www.

When you say "databases", I believe you mean the contents of C:\wamp64\bin\mysql\mysql[version number]\data, which includes several folders ending in _db.

I have not been using mariadb, so far as I am aware. Is there anything from that section of the installation that I should back up?

Is that correct?

Many thanks.

Date: April 25, 2024 11:42AM

Hi,

local sites are your possible folders in wamp64\www\
If your local sites are in folders outside the C:\wamp64\ tree - and this is quite possible with VirtualHost (and even recommended) - there's nothing to save except the c:\wamp64\bin\apache2.4.59\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf file.

The databases are indeed in the data folder of the mysql version used, but this is not the folder to save. You need to export the databases to SQL files, for example, using PhpMyAdmin.
Here too, it is quite possible not to have the databases in the c:\wamp64\ tree, so that they will not be deleted during uninstallation: see MySQL - MariaDB - moving databases.

If you don't use MariaDB, you can disable it by right-clicking -> Wamp settings -> Allow mariaDB and unchecking the box.

For example, at home, Wampserver is in E:\wamp64\, my local sites (VirtualHost) are in G:\www\ and my databases are in G:\wwwbases\.

Date: April 25, 2024 11:59AM

Many thanks for the advice.

Ironically, one of your instructions is: "If you don't use MariaDB, you can disable it by right-clicking -> Wamp settings -> Allow mariaDB and unchecking the box."

The whole issue is that I can't right click (or left click). But presumably I can just ignore that instruction and leave mariadb enabled even though I'm not using it.

Kind regards

Date: April 25, 2024 02:11PM

I had totally overlooked the fact that right and left clicks were inoperative winking smiley

In wampmanager.conf, section [options]
SupportMariaDB = "off

But you'll probably have to restart Wampserver twice.

A trick for quitting Wampserver cleanly when clicks don't work:

Duplicate the shortcut that launches Wampserver64, rename it Wampserver64 - Quit and edit the Target field to put :
E:\wamp64\wampmanager.exe -quit -id={wampserver64}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2024 02:29PM by Otomatic.

Date: April 25, 2024 04:44PM

I have carried out the uninstall and reinstall etc as suggested.

Sadly, it hasn't solved my problem. The right- and lift-clicks are still not functioning.

I have also lost access to one of the three sites I have on the server. The failing site brings up the following error message in the browser:

[BROWSER PAGE STARTS]
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at wampserver@wampserver.invalid to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.4.59 (Win64) PHP/8.2.18 mod_fcgid/2.3.10-dev Server at 192.168.1.160 Port 80
[BROSWER PAGE ENDS]

When I exported the database, all three databases were exported into a single file and I imported from that file.

Date: April 25, 2024 09:19PM

A priori you have to recreate SQL users and passwords you had before.
You may use PhmMyAdMin to do that.

Date: April 26, 2024 11:45AM

I HAVE EDITED THE POST THAT WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN. IF THE MODERATOR HAS SEEN THE EARLIER VERSION, PLEASE RE-READ.
=====================

I have been experimenting and it appears that the issue is that the .htaccess file is different for the website that wouldn't load. I have now brought the .htaccess file into line with the other two and the site is now loading. I will obviously need to investigate why the .htaccess is different and was working before the reinstall of wamp, but that is probably not for this forum topic and may not be suitable for the forum at all.

I still have the problem that the tray icon is not clickable, but at least I have restored usability to where I was prior to the reinstall. [Heaves a huge sigh of relief. 😅]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2024 12:02PM by simoncarne.

Posted by: webmasterinnj (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2024 12:47PM

if you need help creating a good htaccess file you can use this tool [websitesetup.org]

[www.djswebserver.dynuddns.net]

Date: April 26, 2024 01:15PM

Thanks, @webmasterinnj. I'll take a look.

Posted by: papijo (---.w2-10.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: April 27, 2024 12:20PM

Hello!
I have (almost) the same problem as the OP.

1 – Windows 11 64 bit
3 - Apache 2.4.58
4 - PHP 8.2.13
5 - MySQL 8.2.0
6 - WampServer icon Green
8 – I have access to localhost (Homepage WampServer)
9 – I have access to phpMyAdmin
12 - C:\wamp64\
Aestan Tray Menu version 3.2.5.4 64 Bits
Launching WampManager at Windows start NOT ENABLED (I execute it by hand)
----------------------------------

Problem description.
---
I start Windows, then I start WampManager. All works OK. I can use my localhost sites, the WampServer Icon is Green, I can display its menus by right click and left click... So far so good.

This used to work fine and I could always click the green WampManager icon in the windows tray... until recently ... Now, after a certain time at my computer, the green WampManager icon is still there but it has become inactive, it does not respond to either left or right-clicks! The only way to get it to work again is to re-start Windows.
I have tried the trick suggested by Otamatic here:
A trick for quitting Wampserver cleanly when clicks don't work:
Duplicate the shortcut that launches Wampserver64, rename it Wampserver64 - Quit and edit the Target field to put :
E:\wamp64\wampmanager.exe -quit -id={wampserver64}
But it does not work, nothing happens...

This problem is only slightly annoying, as I don't need to use the functions in the WampServer green icon all the time, only when adding sites or virtual sites to my local server. But it would be nice if this intriguing enigma could be solved...
Again, Otomatic, thanks for making this very useful WampServer available!

Date: April 27, 2024 03:23PM

Hi,

> Aestan Tray Menu version 3.2.5.4 64 Bits
Last version is 3.2.6.1 - Update -> Tray Menu Manager 3.2.6.1 64 bit

> E:\wamp64\wampmanager.exe -quit -id={wampserver64}
In your case it must be C:\wamp64\wampmanager.exe -quit -id={wampserver64}

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution to the problem of menus not appearing on right or left click.
I even uninstalled my Wampserver which was installed in E:\wamp64\ to reinstall it in C:\wamp64\ to check that it wasn't coming from the installation on C:. But it works fine.

One way of finding out might be to use a third-party anti-virus program.

Date: April 27, 2024 04:20PM

you might need to add an exception in your windows defender settings for your wampserver main directory.
Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings, and then under Exclusions, select Add or remove exclusions. Select Add an exclusion, and then select from files, folders, file types, or process.
in this case you would select folder then select your master wampserver folder.
see if that works

Date: April 29, 2024 12:56PM

I get that we are running out of options to get the tray icon to work. Something we haven't discussed is going back to an earlier version of the Tray software. Everything had been fine until a week or so ago when i upgrtaded.

Is it feasible for me to install an earlier version or is that not possible with Wampserver 3.3.5 64bit?

Date: April 29, 2024 01:00PM

i think you should be able to use the previous wampserver tray menu with version 3.3.5
but know in the future,as new versions get released its going to come to a point where you need to use the updated tray menu manager,also,do you have all your visual runtimes up to date? might want to try updating those before switching to an older tray menu version.
[github.com]
stop your wampserver and close out the tray menu and download v0.81.0 of the vcredist and when thats done try using the newest tray menu manager and see if it works properly.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.