Wampserver hangs after updating Apache to 2.4.58.1
Posted by: cheeseus (89.25.86.---)
Date: February 28, 2024 09:25PM

After I updated Apache to the latest version, 2.4.58.1, I've started having a problem where the entire Wampserver hangs – I can't open any of my projects nor PhpMyAdmin.

When I check Task Manager, I see two "Apache HTTP Server" processes. I'm not sure if there were two before. But sometimes one of these suddenly starts using 90+ % of my CPU (AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G).

The only solution is to perform full restart of Wampserver – right click > Full reload. But even this takes one minute. After the restart, everything returns to normal. Until the next time. This happens maybe twice a week.

I just read the other thread "Wampserver overheat my minipc after update". I disabled the xDebug extension just in case. But I don't see how a PHP extension will cause Apache to overload my processor.

If this happens again, I may try to install an older version of Apache.

The additional Apache modules I always enable are deflate_module, expires_module, filter_module, ssl_module. However, I have had these modules enabled for over five years now and I haven't had this problem. So maybe it's not related to the modules.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wampserver hangs after updating Apache to 2.4.58.1
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 29, 2024 08:45AM

Xdebug it's actually causing this Apache overload and there's no update that fix it.

See xDebug bug 2216

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: February 29, 2024 07:20PM

Otomatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Xdebug it's actually causing this Apache overload
> and there's no update that fix it.
>
> See
> xDeb
> ug bug 2216

I see. Well, I've disabled it and I should then have this problem no more.

Thanks!

Date: March 04, 2024 01:29PM

Well, the prolem persists... However, this time it seems to be caused by Windows somehow.

When I boot my computer in the morning, the startup processes used to start immediately after the desktop was shown, which is maybe 30 seconds after pressing the Power button.

After this most recent update to Apache, it often takes over one minute before the startup programs begin to start. I mean, my programs: WAMP, GoldenDict, Thunderbird.

This morning I opened Task Manager immediately and noticed something strange: two Apache HTTP Server processes were already running, one of them using up 99.4% of my CPU, before WAMP had started.

There were also two mysqld.exe processes.

Interestingly, if I typed the URL (or used the browser shortcut) for one of my local projects, it would open normally and work – although WAMP has not started yet.

WAMP (and the other two startup programs) wouldn't start simply because the processor was all busy and there wasn't enough processing power to launch these processes. As soon as I click "End Task" for that Apache process which was using 99% of the CPU to kill it, the three startup pograms launched.

All of this means that somehow Windows has decided to launch the Apache HTTP Server and the mysqld.exe services on its own – because I have not programmed them to auto-launch.

I've checked Services. I have the following entries in there:
– wampapache64 – manual
– wampmariadb64 – manual
– wampmysqld64 – manual

But there are no other Apache or MySQL services.

I'm not sure what I can do. I'm open to suggestions.

Date: March 04, 2024 02:32PM

How did you get Wampserver to start automatically when Windows starts?

> All of this means that somehow Windows has decided to launch the Apache HTTP Server
> and the mysqld.exe services on its own – because I have not programmed them to auto-launch.

If you launch Wampserver when Windows starts up, it's perfectly normal for services to start up, since it's Wampserver that starts the services!

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2024 03:35PM by Otomatic.

Date: March 05, 2024 06:29PM

> How did you get Wampserver to start automatically when Windows starts?

The normal way: I added it to startup.

> If you launch Wampserver when Windows starts up, it's perfectly normal for services to start up, since it's Wampserver that starts the services!

I believe you misunderstood me. These services start automatically before WAMP has started. THey start independenly. Only after I killed the Apache HTTP Server service, which was using up 99% of my processor, was WAMP able to launch.

Windows starts the three services (wampapache64, wampmariadb64, wampmysqld64) without starting WAMP as a whole (or maybe Aestan Tray). Because there is no WAMP icon in the tray. Only after that are the several CMD windows displayed and the WAMP notifications ("Wampserver is starting... be patient!"winking smiley.

There is some kind of a double launch... I hope I explained it clearly.

A similar thing happens on my laptop. However, on my laptop, WAMP is not added to startup. Nevertheless, the three serices are auto-started (but the Aestan Tray process is not, meaning there is no WAMP icon in the tray).

I have to go to MS Services to stop them. Then, when I reboot the computer, these services are not running (and I can't open any localhost websites, of course).

But if I start WAMP on the laptop, then shut down the computer without exiting WAMP, when I boot it the next day, the services will start automatically (again without Aestan Tray).

Date: March 05, 2024 08:55PM

Hi,

> The normal way: I added it to startup.
This is not the right method, because you don't know when Wampserver is going to be started, or whether everything is ready for the services to start up correctly with everything they need.

You need to disable this type of startup and check that the "startup" does not also include the startup of services, and disable them if necessary.

The right way to start Wampserver at Windows startup is :
- Right-click -> About -> Options then check Auto Start Application on/Off then Save Options

Date: March 07, 2024 12:36PM

Otomatic Wrote:
> The right way to start Wampserver at Windows
> startup is :
> - Right-click -> About -> Options then check Auto
> Start Application on/Off then Save Options

Thanks! I didn't know this menu even existed. I have now added WAMP to Windows startup this way. Tested it once – it starts OK.

I have also reverted to Apache 2.4.58 and deleted 2.4.58.1 because I kept having the same proble with Apache occasionally using 99% of my CPU.

Date: March 07, 2024 12:51PM

Something is still not right...

I still have two Apache HTTP Server services running. One of them is currenly using up 30–31% of my CPU. And when I simply click on a table name in PhpMyAdmin, it shoots up to 35%. A few minutes ago, when I tried to update the name of one column in my database via PhpMyAdmin, it hanged completely – I checked: this process was again using 99% of my CPU. As soon as I clicked "End task", the query got executed.

What can I do? Will it help if I perform a complete re-install of WAMP (which will take me a lot of time)?

Screenshot: [ibb.co]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2024 12:55PM by cheeseus.

Date: March 07, 2024 02:32PM

Hi,

Are you sure you've deactivated xDebug for all versions of PHP running on your Wampserver, not only for the version used as an Apache module, but also for any versions used in FCGI mode?

A complete reinstall of Wampserver won't make any difference. The problem is due to an interaction between xDebug of PHP 8.3.x and Apache, under Windows only.

You also need to think about any development tools that use PHP, such as Composer.

Date: March 07, 2024 03:39PM

Otomatic Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are you sure you've deactivated xDebug for all
> versions of PHP running on your Wampserver, not
> only for the version used as an Apache module, but
> also for any versions used in FCGI mode?

I had deactived xDebug for PHP 8.3.2 but then I updated to 8.3.3 and I had forgotten to deactivate it, sorry. I've now deactivated xDebug for 8.3.3 and for 8.1.26. I've removed all other versions.

Apache is now using 0% of my CPU.

> A complete reinstall of Wampserver won't make any
> difference. The problem is due to an interaction
> between xDebug of PHP 8.3.x and Apache, under
> Windows only.

I see.

> You also need to think about any development tools
> that use PHP, such as Composer.

I've tried to learn how to use frameworks (is this a framework?) before but they were too difficult for me and I don't really have the time to learn them. I code in PHP/MySQL as a hobby, to make my own systems, so the efficiency a framework will give me is not that important for me. Thanks for the recommendation, anyway!

Date: March 07, 2024 03:45PM

Hi,

> but then I updated to 8.3.3 and I had forgotten to deactivate it

Until this xDebug bug is fixed, future PHP 8.3.x versions will be served with xDebug disabled. Thank you for your understanding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.