Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
WampServer version is not updating
Posted by: jjuarez (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 08, 2023 06:11AM

Hi Otomatic,
I'm in need of some help if you're so kind. I'm trying to upgrade Apache and PHP but I first need to update WampServer to version 3.3.1 (which I was able to do on a dev server but now am on production and presented with an issues that is new). Note: Both servers are set up identically.

1. I downloaded the "Wampserver update 3.3.3 64 bit MD5" update from [wampserver.aviatechno.net]
2. Ran the .exe program as "administrator"
3. followed the instructions on the wizard and it appeared that the download was successful
4. I restarted the WampServer, as administrator, but it shows the prior version (3.2.6).
5. I tried "refresh", "restart from scratch" (multiple times) but also got the same result

I was looking at the post below, and it seems like my wampmanager.ini and wampmanager.conf files are not updating, similar to the poster here:
[forum.wampserver.com]

Would you have any recommendations or steps that I can try to update my version of wampserver when this issue occurs? I may have follow-up questions as I may need to be guided through the process.

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you!

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WampServer version is not updating
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2023 09:17AM

Hi,

What is the version of the file wampmanager.exe?
Right-click on file, Properties, Details tab

In the wampmanager.conf file there should be:

installVersion ="x.y.z"
installDate ="YYYY-MM-DD"
update3.3.3= "YYYY-MM-DD"

It's totally impossible for me to check that the latest update can be installed on any version of Wampserver. In theory, it should work!

If necessary, I'll give you a link to older update versions, e.g. 3.2.7, 3.2.8, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: December 08, 2023 09:37AM

Hi,

Is my memory failing me?

Older versions of updates since 3.2.7 can be accessed from https://wampserver.aviatechno.net/

Just to the right of the title [Updates] Click on the All available versions button

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: December 08, 2023 11:10AM

Hi,

As a matter of conscience, I completely uninstalled Wampserver 3.3.3 64bit and rebooted the machine, then installed Wampserver 3.2.6 64bit, checked that it was working properly.
Then, after closing Wampserver, I installed the Wampserver 3.3.3 update and had no problems.

Date: December 13, 2023 09:31PM

Hi Otomatic,
Thank you for the prompt replies. Apologies for the delay but I have some updates to share. I'll go through each in the order that you replied:

I need to first note that, since I was on a production server, I needed to roll back the changes to an earlier snapshot. Therefore, I don't have the information specific to the post-3.3.3. WAMP Server at this time. However, I will try again and let you know. However, the snapshot that I attempted to update contained the prior version of WAMP and, maybe it's of interest (or relevant) to this discussion. Perhaps it might have impacted the update (particularly the update3.3.3 line item below) I'll share details below -

* What is the version of the file wampmanager.exe?

* wampmanager.conf file there should be:
What is the version of the file: 3.2.4.2
installVersion ="3.2.6"
installDate ="2022-08-15"
update{version} - not there; this line item is missing in production. NOTE: However, on another box that is running WAMP Server (similar set up). I show the following (as a comparison):

What is the version of the file: 3.2.5.0
installVersion ="3.2.6"
installDate ="2022-08-09"
update3.3.1= "2023-11-01"

I'm not sure if maybe the missing "update{version}" line could cause issues? I'm not sure why it's missing in prod. However, that's the wampmanager.conf setup at the time of the update to 3.3.3

2. Older versions of updates since 3.2.7 can be accessed from [wampserver.aviatechno.net]
- yes, you are right - this is how I downloaded the update from the website I believe. NOTE: I'm going to be working on the dev server today and will try downloading the 3.3.3 version (since it supports PHP 8.2).

3. "As a matter of conscience..." Thank you for providing doing the troubleshooting. Is this what you would recommend if I cannot get the update to work on the next go-round? Should I also "uninstall WAMP" and then reinstall? Are there specific steps to uninstall?

Thank you again Otomatic. I'll keep you posted. BTW - I'm in California. Not sure where you're based out of (so apologies again for the lag in response times).

Jeff

Date: December 14, 2023 09:05AM

Hi,

> Not sure where you're based out of
At the top of the Left-Click on Wampmanager, it says:
Made in France by Dominique Ottello
Well, Otomatic is Dominique Ottello and I'm in Paris.

There are several "things" to check on your production server:
- Are you the "owner" of the folder c:\wamp64 (or similar)?
- It's best to quit Wampserver before launching the update.
- Are you up to date with VC++ redistributables (see end of this message)?

You can also :
- temporarily set the UAC to zero.
- exclude the c:\wamp64 folder from anti-virus programs, even if it's just Windows Defender.

> Are there specific steps to uninstall?
Oh! Yes!
Uninstalling Wampserver will, after a validated warning, completely delete the c:\wamp64 folder, i.e. your local sites if they are in the c:\wamp64 tree AND your databases if they are in the MySQL or MariaDB data folder, which is the default case.
It is therefore essential to back up local sites and databases before uninstalling.
Don't forget that with VirtualHost, local sites can be anywhere, for example in G:\www\, in which case you only need to back up the httpd-vhosts.conf file.
Don't forget that databases can also be located outside the data folder, for example in g:\wwwbases\, in which case all you need to do is modify the datadir= line in the my.ini file.

See item 9 of Wampserver 3 - Some explanations

-------------------------------------------------------------------
- Verify that all VC ++ packages are installed and with the latest versions.
To do this, use the tool:
Checks VC++ packages installed
Do not use a previously loaded tool. Make a new download to make sure you are using the correct version.
Download packages on http://wampserver.aviatechno.net in section Visual C++ Redistribuable Packages
Do not forget that if you have a 64 bit Windows, you must install both 32 and 64 bit versions of each package.
You must install each package "as an administrator", so right-click the exe file and then run as Administrator.
To simplify things, see http://wampserver.aviatechno.net, at the bottom of the page, under :
Best way to install Visual C++ Redistributable Packages

Posted by: jjuarez (155.135.55.---)
Date: January 05, 2024 09:38PM

Hi Otomatic and greetings from the U.S.!

Ok, I've been out of the office for a few days so I'm just getting back and started on this task. I will be implementing and will update if I'm successful. As far as I recall, I did have the VC packages up to date ( I did that as a prerequisite before starting the update). However, I'm going to retry and see if I missed a step. Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Jeff

Date: January 18, 2024 01:57AM

Hi Otomatic,
I was able to retry the update to the version I want for wampserver today from 3.2.6 to 3.3.1. I followed your recommendations above including:
1. Backing up my MySQL databases outside of the MySQL directory (in a separate location)
2. Backing up my wamp directory
3. Quitting WAMP Server before updating to the 3.3.1 version
4. Using the VC++ Checker Tool to find outdated/ missing packages
5. Installing / updating VC ++ redistributables
6. Downloading the Wampserver update version (Wampserver update 3.3.1 32 & 64 bit - MD5 D1C34C724C754F2BF45144A5EC706222) - note: I installed the version with the Aestan Tray Menu (Not sure if that is important or not)
7. Restarted WAMP Server
8. Note: I paused with doing a full uninstall

What I found:
1. It appears that when I launch my localhost, the page reflects the change - it says "version 3.3.1 64-bit" in the top right of the web page.
2. However, when I click to open the WAMPServer TrayMenu, it still says WAmpserver 3.2.6 64-bit Made in France by Otomatic"

I'm not sure why that did not get updated. From what I can tell, that text is managed by the "wampmanager.ini" file in the /wamp64 directory.

Is this something I should be concerned about (since I've already updated to 3.3.1?.

Here's a snippet(s) of what I'm seeing in the wampmanager.ini file:
[Config]
ImageList=images_off.bmp
ServiceCheckInterval=1
ServiceGlyphRunning=13
ServiceGlyphPaused=14
ServiceGlyphStopped=15
TrayIconAllRunning=16
TrayIconSomeRunning=17
TrayIconNoneRunning=18
ID={wampserver64}
AboutHeader=WAMPSERVER 3.2.6 64bit
AboutVersion=Version 3.2.6

[AboutText]
WampServer Version 3.2.6 64bit

[Menu.Left.Settings]

BarCaptionCaption=WAMPSERVER 3.2.6

[Menu.Right]
Type: separator; Caption: "Wampserver 3.2.6 - 64bit"

[Menu.Left]
Type: separator; Caption: "Wampserver 3.2.6 - 64bit"
Type: separator; Caption: "Made in France by Otomatic"

Here's a snippet(s) of what I'm seeing in the wampmanager.conf file:
[main]
language = "english"
wampserverVersion ="3.3.1"
installDir ="c:/wamp64"
installVersion ="3.2.6"
wampserverMode = "64bit"
installDate ="2022-08-15"
wampStartDate = "2024-01-18 00:37:42"
update3.3.1= "2024-01-17"

Let me know if I should just do the uninstall and try again or if there's anything else to try with this current update? Thank you in advance.

Jeff

Date: January 18, 2024 08:55AM

Hi,

Right-Click -> Restart from zero

Date: January 18, 2024 09:49AM

Hi Otomatic,
Thanks for the reply back. I just attempted to "right click > Restart from zero". After two attempts, I'm still showing Wampserver 3.2.6 - 64bit Made in France by Otomatic" on the a) left click tray menu, and b) "aestan right bar (right-click) menu. Note: In the right bar menu, if I go to "About..." > "What's new", the change log is showing the change log and it's referencing 3.3.1.

Changelog
--- Wampserver 3.3.1
- Improve Windows Parameter Region, Administration, Beta utf-8
- Improve Restart from zero
- Improve Apache management openssl 1.1.1/3.0.7
- Delete [phpCli] section into wampmanager.conf
To use or unactive MariaDB or MySQL, read the file mariadb_mysql.txt
This update is cumulative Updates 3.0.1 to 3.3.1 It may be reinstalled in case of modified files by error

--- Wampserver 3.3.0
- PHP 8.2.0 Support
- Support for Windows Parameter Region, Administration, Beta utf-8
- Change Wampserver browser by menu
- Removal of PHP CLI version change
- Fixed some small defects

[additional change logs excluded here]

Just to reiterate: when I lauch my localhost WAMPServer Homepage, the version on the top-right is showing "version 3.3.1 -64bit" which is what I want. It only seems to be the Wampserver tray that is showing outdated version. I'm wondering if this is okay and whether I can continue with updating PHP and Apache using the add-ons now.

Thank you for your replies. I will log back in the morning (Los Angeles time). Have a great day!

Jeff

Date: January 18, 2024 10:58AM

Hi,

Try Wampserver Update 3.3.3 another time.

Note: The Wampserver version is indicated in the wampmanager.conf file by the line :
wampserverVersion ="3.3.3"

And it's from this information that strings are created in wampmanager.ini, i.e. in the right- and left-click headers.

This becomes:
$c_wampVersion = $wampConf['wampserverVersion'];
in config.inc.php file.

then transformed in wampmanager.ini - i.e. in the right- and left-click headers — by the template file wampmanager.tpl :
[Menu.Left]
;WAMPMENULEFTSTART
Type: separator; Caption: "Wampserver - {$c_wampVersion} - {$c_wampMode}"
[Menu.Right]
;WAMPMENURIGHTSTART
Type: separator; Caption: "Wampserver - {$c_wampVersion} - {$c_wampMode}"

This is what ends up in the wampmanager.ini file.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2024 04:33PM by Otomatic.

Date: January 18, 2024 07:32PM

Hi Otomatic,
I just updated to 3.3.3 (downloading the execuatble download link you provided). After downloading and opening up version 3.3.3, I now experiencing a new odd behavior. After updating to 3.3.3., I open (as administrator) the WAMPServer. The WAMPServer icon is green. I opened the tray and it displays for about 5 seconds. Then a window pops up with the following message.

Erreur
Syntax Error:
Verify Index: TextKey0
Number of incorrect items.
Click Ok to Close the application and fix the error.

I clicked 'ok' and it closes out the program. I reopened WAMPServer and the same thing happens again (i.e. behavior is inconsistant).

Note:
* The tray still shows version "3.2.6 -64bit Made in France by Otomatic"
* localhost WampServer shows that the update worked and shows 3.3.3.

Date: January 18, 2024 07:59PM

Hi,

This means that certain files are not replaced/copied/modified during updates!

Are you the owner with full control over the Wampserver installation folder?
And, of course, the folders and files in it.

Are you running the update executable "as administrator"?
Right-click on the executable name, then Run as administrator.

What is the version of wampmanager.exe?
Properties, Details, File version.

Date: January 18, 2024 09:53PM

Hi Otomatic,
Ok, I just took a look on this server.
>>>Are you the owner with full control over the Wampserver installation folder?
And, of course, the folders and files in it.

Thanks for pointing this out. After checking, I in fact, DID NOT have full permissions to all of the directories prior to updating to wampserver 3.3.3. However, I corrected that oversight and gave myself full permissions to the wamp64 directory and all subdirectories. I then:
1. I once again ran the wampserver3_x64_update3.3.3.exe (as admin)
2. I opened up the wampserver from my desktop. I'm still seeing this popup above after opening up the Wampserver Tray.

Erreur
Syntax Error:
Number of incorrect items.
Click Ok to Close the application and fix the error

3. version did not update in the tray (no change)
4. wampmanager.conf shos wampserverVersion = "3.3.3." and installVersion="3.2.6" (same as before).

>>>Are you running the update executable "as administrator"?
Right-click on the executable name, then Run as administrator.
1. Yes (as mentioned above). I ran the executable as the admin.

>>>What is the version of wampmanager.exe?
Properties, Details, File version.

Date: January 19, 2024 09:30AM

Hi,

It now appears that the files have been correctly copied or modified.

But even with this good news, the :

Syntax Error:

will persist.

This is due to the very operating principle of Aestan Tray Menu, i.e. Wampmanager.exe.

On launch, Wampserver reads and executes instructions from the wampmanager.ini file, which determines the order of execution of the various PHP scripts, including refresh.php, which completely recreates the wampmanager.ini file and, only at the end of the operation, reads it to update all menus.

However, as there is an error from the outset, this procedure cannot be completed.

You therefore need to start again with a wampmanager.ini file that is free of errors.

To recreate a wampmanager.ini file without errors, simply install - as administrator - a tool called "Wampmanager ini repair", which can be found in the "Tools" section of https://wampserver.aviatechno.net/

Repair tool for wampmanager.ini file if it is corrupted or missing. You can download at any time, but install this tool only if you need it, because it takes into account the current configuration of Wampserver.

How to repair wampmanager.ini file
- Run As an administrator the bat file
wampini_repair.bat
that's all.
If you have made changes to Wampserver since installing "repair_wampini" it is necessary to reinstall before running wampini_repair.bat for these changes to take effect.
It is possible that after repairing and launching Wampserver, the icon may not be green. In this case, restart the services with :
Left-click -> Restart services.

Date: January 19, 2024 07:14PM

Hi Otomatic,
Thank you for providing the information on the tool. I downloaded the "wampserver3_repair_wampini.exe". In installed the .bat file into my /wamp64 directory and ran the bat file as an "admin" (following the instructions provided). After the .bat file ran, I launched WAMP server as admin. The first thing that happens is that a window pops up with message:

"Erreur d'application

Exception Exception dans le module wampmanager.exe en 000000000480A2B.

Cold not execute run action: The system cannot find the file specified
Action: Run
Filename: c/wamp64/bin/php/php7.4.33/php.exe
Parameters: refresh.php

Message copied to clipboard"

I checked and confirmed that this directory is not in my wamp folder. I don't believe I've deleted any php folder so am not sure why this is an issue.

Wampserver does not launch now.

Date: January 20, 2024 08:54AM

Hi,

To keep things simple, install PHP 7.4.33 and, while you're at it, if it's not already installed, install PHP 8.1.26 as well.
PHP 7.4.33
PHP 8.1.26

Then, as administrator, restart the bat file
wampini_repair.bat

This last problem shows that there are still files that have not been updated or copied.

- Do you use a non-Windows anti-virus and/or anti-spyware?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2024 09:46AM by Otomatic.

Date: January 22, 2024 08:47PM

Hi Otomatic,
>>>To keep things simple, install PHP 7.4.33 and, while you're at it, if it's not already installed, install PHP 8.1.26 as well.
PHP 7.4.33
PHP 8.1.26

-->I've installed the PHP 7.4.33 package (8.1.26 was already installed). After install, I lauched the WAMP Server

>>>Then, as administrator, restart the bat file
wampini_repair.bat

--> I went ahead and restarted the bat file as admin

>>> This last problem shows that there are still files that have not been updated or copied.
Do you use a non-Windows anti-virus and/or anti-spyware?

--> I don't believe that I'm using a non-Windows anti-virus or anti-spyware. I checked in "Windows Security > Virus & threat protection " screen and everything appears to be turned off However, I'm checking with the system admin who set up the server. Will let you know.

Update:
After the changes mentioned above, I tried launching WAMPServer. The icon in the tray show "green" but when I hover (or if I try to left/right click), the left and right menus do not come up.
Note: I checked VC++ redistributables before completing the PHP add-on update and I believe I have those installed which are:
* Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x64) - I have the x64 (14.38.33130) and x86 (14.38.33130.0 ) versions installed
* Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) - I didn't show this name in my "Add/ Remove programs". However, I think this is the same as the x86 version above because when I downloaded the package and right-click properties > details, it's showing the same file version as (14.38.33130.0). I did not install for this reason.

Seems like we're getting close to resolving. Might just be a minor issue now but could still use your guidance. Thank you!

Date: January 22, 2024 09:07PM

Here's the C++ redistributable packages I currently have installed (for reference):

* MS Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219
* MS Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219

* MS Visual C++ 2012 x64 Redistributable - 11.0.61030.0
* MS Visual C++ 2012 x86 Redistributable - 11.0.61030.0

* MS Visual C++ 2013 x64 Redistributable - 12.0.40664.0
* MS Visual C++ 2013 x86 Redistributable - 12.0.40664.0

* MS Visual C++ 2015-2022 x64 Redistributable - 14.38.33130
* MS Visual C++ 2015-2022 x86 Redistributable - 14.38.33130

Date: January 23, 2024 08:38AM

Hi,

Go to https://wampserver.aviatechno.net/

Apply what is written, at the bottom of the page, under the title :
Best way to install Visual C++ Redistributable Packages

It may take "a while".

At the end, it's a good idea to restart the machine.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.