Can WAMP Apacge follow Windows symlinks?
Posted by: timecott01 (---.plus.com)
Date: November 05, 2023 08:55PM

Can WAMPServer/Apache be configured to follow a symlink in the documentroot in a Windows file system?
Do I need to add privileges to the WAMPServer system user running Apache?

I have set up a symlink in the Windows file system using MKLINK. I can use it from my own windows user on the Server and see files on the file server, but WAMP/Apache seems to ignore the symlink. I suspect I need to do more configuration settings.
Do I need to define the directory which contains the symlink in a <directory></Directory> configuration - in .htaccess??

Details:
Windows Server 2008R2 x64
WAMPServer 3.2.0
Apache 2.4.41
GREEN Wamp icon.
Documentroot on the local drive E:
The Symlink points to my file server on the same local network: //server/folder
I need to navigate the file server from the named top folder downwards - and back upwards.
In effect all the files I wish to see are on the file server under the named folder.
Can this be done?
If yes, please advise how...I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work.....
I dont think an Apache Alias is the way to go???
Thanks In Advance.
Tim Ecott.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can WAMP Apacge follow Windows symlinks?
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2023 08:42AM

Do not use localization on a network drive.

Symbolic links work very well with Wampserver, which uses them extensively, but not on a network drive.

In addition, Windows Server 2008 R2 is no longer supported as of January 14, 2020.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: timecott01 (---.plus.com)
Date: November 06, 2023 10:55PM

Thank you for your response. I understand that Windows Server 2008R2 x64 is unsupported.
Re. your comment #2 - If symbolic links work well with Wampserver, please advise which config files I should look in, or which folders contain the symlinks. I cannot find any evidence of their usage - or examples.

Access to a network server (if I ever get it to work) is only possible to web users who authenticate. I do not want to have this facility 'open to the internet' as I appreciate that this is very risky. I regularly look at access logs.

It seems that symlinks will work 'out of the box' for Linux systems. However, with Windows it seems to be problematic for Apache??

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2023 08:51AM

Go to the bin folder of Apache. You can do this very easily by :
Right-Click -> Tools -> Command windows -> Command windows Apache bin
then type in : dir /al

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.