Migration from XAMPP
Posted by: cobra-arbok (---.pool-bba.aruba.it)
Date: August 24, 2023 04:53PM

I have several installations of XAMPP with different PHP configurations.
In these there are several portals.
How can I migrate these portals to WAMP Server by creating the relative Virtualhosts with the corresponding PHP version?

How many Virtual Hosts can WAMP Server manage on a Win10Pro PC, 8 Core CPU, 2TB SDD, 32GB Memory?

Obviously these portals don't all start together.
They are mostly reference portals for development.
The finished portals are then moved to a production server.

The good thing about XAMPP (Portable) is that I didn't have to launch them. If I needed portals, I only launched the XAMPP that contained them.
My main problem with XAMPP is that I couldn't launch more than one. If I needed a site with PHP 5 and one with PHP 8, I had to start and stop them multiple times.

With WAMP Server I can manage the PHP version in the Virtualhost.
But I don't want that if I insert all the portals in WAMP Server, then there will be problems of insufficient resources for portals that maybe I will use a couple of times a year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Migration from XAMPP
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2023 09:08PM

I think that if you'd read the two links I gave you in a previous message, you wouldn't be asking all these questions.

In a way, Wampserver is a local host, but unlike almost all hosts, it allows, if you wish, a different PHP version for each hosted site.

What's more, with VirtualHost, you don't have to move any sites existing under XAMPP - except for databases that need to be exported/imported as SQL files - a site that exists under XAMPP is necessarily in a folder on your disk, and it's this folder that you'll declare as DocumentRoot when creating the VirtualHost.

> How many Virtual Hosts can WAMP Server manage on a Win10Pro PC, 8 Core CPU, 2TB SDD, 32GB Memory?
You can have as many VirtualHosts as you like, but the limit will be the number you can launch at the same time.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Re: Migration from XAMPP
Posted by: cobra-arbok (---.pool-bba.aruba.it)
Date: August 25, 2023 08:35AM

Thanks for your answer.
Yes, I had read them, but my question was if there was any tool to migrate everything in one go.
What you suggest is to export all DBs and import them here.
Being dozens, I would have preferred an automatism, but that's okay.
I'll start with those sites that I use most often.
Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.