Hardening WAMPserver for Hosting Public Websites
Posted by: Claudius (---.bardstown.com)
Date: April 01, 2022 01:51PM

There are several web pages that supply instructions for configuring WAMPserver for safely hosting public websites. I have a website that I'm hosting using WAMP, "[redrubberball.hopto.org"]; get yourself an account if you want.

If your intent is to host a website facing the public internet a very useful website is, "whynopadlock.com." what you do is you supply whynopadlock with your website's address, whynopadlock runs a series of tests against your web address then produces a list of vulnerabilities that you can then research and patch then run against whynopadlock, rinse, lather and repeat until your instance of WAMPserver is secure against most common attacks. Scrip Kiddies (Skids) won't be taking your website down.

Something else I needed was a mechanism to send and receive email external to the website that I'm hosting. I had no idea but WAMP can be configured to use a simple command line utility called, "sendmail" that works slick. The address for setting up this sendmail thing is, "[stackoverflow.com]; Check it out, I beat my head against the email wall for a couple weeks till this kind soul directed me to this website. If you need to send and receive email this is how to do it.

The last comment I have in regards to hosting a public website using WAMP is that WAMP is by far the easiest and most uncomplicated open source package to use. Long, long story short, my website is dark; godaddy wants $100.00 USD to register a domain for you, "noip.com" hosts my domain for free with the option to go public at my discretion. I got free public and private key encryption certificates via, "Certbot" for free. I got the website I'm using, open source, "Elgg.com" social media package, free. So, long, long story short I'm at the point in running this website and other than electrical power to run the server I'm using my cost has been, $0.00 USD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2022 02:05PM by Claudius.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hardening WAMPserver for Hosting Public Websites
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2022 04:11PM

Hi,

This compliment is all the more appreciated as thanks are extremely rare on the forum and yet, just like Wampserver, it costs nothing.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Re: Hardening WAMPserver for Hosting Public Websites
Posted by: Claudius (---.bardstown.com)
Date: April 02, 2022 02:23PM

My pleasure sir. You work long and hard doing all the things that you do and I appreciate the effort you put in to teaching people to do the things they need to do. You're a valuable resource.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.