Why is MyISAM the default MySQL Storage Engine instead of InnoDB?
Posted by: sivefe2775 (197.238.196.---)
Date: March 13, 2022 06:23PM

InnoDB is supposed to be the default since MySQL 5.7.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why is MyISAM the default MySQL Storage Engine instead of InnoDB?
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2022 06:30PM

Yes, but there is a reason!

We found that most new users of WAMPServer (Beginners, people who know next to nothing about MySQL or any other part of WAMPServer) had a lot of problems with INNODB as of course they do not take sensible backups or protect themselves in other ways from hiccups.

Therefore when they make there first mistake, recovering a INNODB database was more complex whereas often they may have taken a copy one way or another of a MYISAM folder.

I think you will find that almost all the decisions about WAMPServer were taken for VERY GOOD reasons and rather than repeatedly taking a pop at what does not suite your particular situation, maybe you should just ask a simple WHY?

Or just say Thank you Otomatic for IMPROVING and maintaining this amazing and FREE tool.

Otomatic, You can take this as my Thank you

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 06:34PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: March 13, 2022 06:41PM

I competently appreciate all the hard work Otomatic is doing in maintaining this project.

I simply would like to know why certain decisions were made, I only asked because XAMPP doesn't do this so I wanted to understand why MyISAM was chosen over InnoDB.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, I want nothing but success for this project, It's currently the best tool for LAMP stack on Windows and I only want it to become better.

Date: March 13, 2022 11:47PM

I also wanted to notify you that choosing MyISAM as the default engine causes some problems for projects using InnoDB, From what I've read It's because WAMP still uses the MyISAM configuration file even after changing the default engine to InnoDB.

[github.com]

An option to choose the default configuration file for MyISAM or InnoDB during installation would be great.

Or maybe create 2 my.ini files, one that has the MyISAM defaults and another that has the InnoDB defaults.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2022 10:09AM

Hi,

Update 3.2.9 :
There will be an option MySQL settings to modify default-storage-engine in my.ini file.

Between you and me, this is a change that could have been made by anyone; everything is already in place to easily add one or more options to MySQL settings.

config.inc.php file
- Add the option
'default-storage-engine',
in $mysqlParams array

- Add possibilities for this option :
  'default-storage-engine' => array(
    'change' => true,
    'title' => 'Text',
    'quoted' => false,
    'values' => array('MYISAM','InnoDB'),
  ),
in $mysqlParamsNotOnOff

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: March 14, 2022 11:25AM

A quick note for the casual reader that may have got this far:

May I remind ALL USER OF MYSQL/mariaDB that if you want an INNODB table and you specify INNODB on the table CREATE you will get an INNODB table.

The existance of and reliance on a default for the table type is a COMPLETE and UTTER IRRELEVANCE if you actually have the faintest idea what you are doing.

And there I rest my case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: March 14, 2022 12:11PM

Hi,

> The existance of and reliance on a default for the table type is a COMPLETE and UTTER IRRELEVANCE

In the same way that you should never rely on the theoretical default values of PHP, Apache or MySQL parameters and functions, the default values can change as versions evolve.
Whether it is for the creation of databases or MySQL tables or the use of PHP functions, it is almost imperative to specify the values to be used even if the default value is appropriate.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: March 14, 2022 01:23PM

Hi

@RiggsFolly
> Otomatic, You can take this as my Thank you
It really touches me !
But in these thanks, we must not forget Maximus23 for the recovery and the evolutions of Aestan Tray Menu without which there would be no more Wampserver and what was, at the beginning, a simple evolution of ApacheMonitor.

Date: March 14, 2022 02:16PM

Good point, well made.

Thank you also Maximus23

Posted by: maximus23 (---.dynamic.voo.be)
Date: March 14, 2022 03:31PM

Hi,

Thank you very much smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.