new installation
Posted by: stilman (---.client.global.net.uk)
Date: December 04, 2021 12:05AM

I installed the latest version in a new directory, after I came up against the warning message about not installing as an update over the old. I thought by putting it in a new directory would allow me to use both versions or at least one at a time. This did not work.

Whenever I go to localhost I get the new version, even if I start the old version.

There is something that needs to be reset. Could you help me with this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new installation
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2021 09:11AM

Hi,

Read WAMPserver 3 - All you need to know

It seems that you have confused update and full install.

It is not possible to install two versions of Wampserver of the same type. It is possible to install a 32bit version and a 64bit version, but it will only be possible to launch one at a time.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: December 08, 2021 09:53AM

Thank you for your reply. I had read the "all you need to know". But it was not clear that you could not have two instances of WAMPSERVER installed (i.e. new and old). You might want to make this clear on that page.

My intention was to see how the new version worked, then transfer from the old to the new bit by bit, to ensure I had not broken anything in my various websites held locally. That strategy was not possible. I test things out on this local server for implementation elsewhere, so I have not backed up for transfer to other machines.

Now that I have reinstalled the old version of wampserver as a new instance, can I just copy the old mysql files into the reinstallation? I assume this is possible, so which directories would I use for a smooth transfer?

Date: December 08, 2021 10:41AM

Hi,

> can I just copy the old mysql files into the reinstallation?
No.
The transfer of databases between different versions of MySQL or MariaDB should be performed by EXPORT / IMPORT of SQL files using phpMyAdmin or a similiar tools of your choice. Do not copy the data folder between different versions of MYSQL or MariaDB.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: December 09, 2021 12:29AM

If they are the same version, is it possible, and if so, is it just the data directory that is needed?

Date: December 09, 2021 09:18AM

Hi,

> is it just the data directory that is needed?
Yes.
Provided also that the my.ini directives and parameters are identical. But... without any guarantee of functioning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.