Need assistance adding new version of PHP
Posted by: jeffbernstein (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 21, 2021 05:33PM

I have been tasked with updating the version of PHP on our WampServer installation to a version later than 7.2.18, possibly 7.1.33, 7.2.24, or 7.3.11. I didn't know what a WampServer was until yesterday so I am coming at this from the perspective of just needing to get it installed and updated. I downloaded and installed a later version of PHP from the Repository of Wampserver files [1] but the version of PHP won't appear in the list (the green icon in the Notification Area) to be selected. I'm told someone tried updating PHP earlier this year but ran into the same problem.

I'm looking for a step-by-step set of instructions for updating PHP and possibly a troubleshooting guide for when it doesn't work.

1. Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit
2. Wampserver 3.1.9 - 64bit
3. Apache 2.4.39
4. PHP 7.2.18
5. MySQL 5.7.26
5a. MariaDB 10.3.14
6. Color of the Wampserver icon is green
7. Active lines in hosts file:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost::1 localhost
::1 localhost

8. Yes, I have access to localhost (Home page of wampserver)
8a. No error message at the bottom of the page
8b. Chrome on Windows 10, IE on Windows Server
9. Yes, I have access to phpMyAdmin
10. No error message
11. Sophos antivirus, no firewall on server
12. The www directory opens from within the C:\wamp64 folder so I assume Wampserver is installed in C:\wamp64

Thank you for your attention.

-Jeff

[1] [wampserver.aviatechno.net]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need assistance adding new version of PHP
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2021 08:24PM

Hi,

- Verify that all VC ++ packages are installed and with the latest versions.
To do this, use the tool:
Checks VC++ packages installed
Do not use a previously loaded tool. Make a new download to make sure you are using the correct version.[/u)
To download missing packages, do not rely on Microsoft links, they are not reliable, download packages on http://wampserver.aviatechno.net in section Visual C++ Redistribuable Packages
Do not forget that if you have a 64 bit Windows, you must install both 32 and 64 bit versions of each package.
You must install each package "as an administrator", so right-click the exe file and then run as Administrator.

- Apply Update 3.2.5 to your version of Wampserver
Wampserver update 3.2.5

Then you can choose what PHP version you want on https://wampserver.aviatechno.net/

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: jeffbernstein (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 12:25AM

Thank you for your reply. I performed the steps up through and including "- Apply Update 3.2.5 to your version of Wampserver" but when I click the Wampserver icon in the notification are (after launching it from the Wampserver shortcut) it still comes up showing 3.1.9. And when I select a different version of PHP (7.3.5) it wont "stick".

In the php_error.log I'm seeing a bunch of warnings similar to this:

[21-Sep-2021 21:18:35 UTC] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'bz2' (tried: c:/wamp64/bin/php/php7.2.18/ext/bz2 (The specified module could not be found.), c:/wamp64/bin/php/php7.2.18/ext/php_bz2.dll (The specified procedure could not be found.)) in Unknown on line 0

and this:

[21-Sep-2021 14:42:43 America/Phoenix] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 874281544 bytes) in C:\wamp64\scripts\refresh.php on line 549

I tried modifying the memory_limit parameter but I continue to get "memory size" fatal error.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2021 09:12AM

Hi,

Right-Click -> Tools -> Empty logs -> Empty all log files -> Y

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.