Possible errors with PHP
Posted by: Pisco (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 25, 2020 12:42PM

Hi there,

I am using a local virtual host and normally I experiment with this site to check things. I have installed Wordpress and suddenly I was unable to update or download any plugin or theme.

I know you will tell me that this problem is not related to Wamp but Wordpress, and you are right. Unfortunately I posted this issue on their forum website a week ago and nobody answered yet. I tried myself to sort out the problem by searching online but nothing seems to match the issue I am experiencing

In other forums they blame the file and directory permission and ownership issues. I am not using any FTP and I don't know how to access to my hosting management file manager,
As I said, I never encounter this problem before, and all this started when i tried to change the name of the local virtual host.

The other answer I got from other websites points to PHP settings, like upload_max_filesize setting, and max_ execution_time:
i tried to change both but I only achieved to change the message error. So I decided to reset the values as they were.

I also deactivated all plugins but the problem still remains. One last thing I tried to do was to start all over again by deleting the site, and creating a new virtual host. This normally fix everything but not this time.

The error message I get are those:

Theme

Installation failed: Could not copy file. twentytwenty/assets/images/2020-landscape-1.png

Plugin

Installation failed: Could not copy file. akismet/changelog.txt

I hope you could help me on this even though it seems is a Wordpress issue. t would appreciate a lot, If at least, I could get a link where I could search for advice.

Thanks a lot for you time

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Possible errors with PHP
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2020 02:24PM

Hi,

Did you install WordPress in a VirtualHost and did this VirtualHost exist BEFORE you installed WordPress?
See:
The need for Virtual Host
and
Why to create a VirtualHost BEFORE installing a CMS

Did you check for errors in the Apache and PHP log files?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: July 25, 2020 05:45PM

Hi,

Yeah, the virtual host existed before but when I created for the 2nd time, I thought it would be like creating it for the first time, since I started everything from scratch. I deleted the virtual host form the root file, i.e. vhosts.conf. -and then I deleted the data base in PhpMyAdmin.

I checked the errors in both Apache and PHP but for a person like me who doesn't understand code, that wasn't very helpful.

I was reading the link you sent me and I realised that when Creating the Virtual Host definition(s) and following the root path wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.41\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf - I updated Apache version and for some reason it should be apache 2.4.43
Now I have 2 Apache folders. Probably I should have overridden the former version in the installing process So I reverted to the old one and everything is fine. I can again update or download themes and plugins.

The question is how can I update apache again without run into this problem? the file Whost.conf is in the old version of apache and it should be in the new one.

Thanks a lot

Date: July 25, 2020 08:03PM

Hi,

If all goes well, you can remove the Apache version(s) not used by :
Right-Click -> Tools -> Delete unused versions

Then, you install the addon of the desired Apache version and when you ask to switch Apache version, you will be asked to copy the httpd-vhosts.conf file, in which case you will answer Yes.

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: July 26, 2020 11:23AM

Hi,
It worked! Every thing is running well. I remember now I didn't press Y key in the installation process so it didn't copy the file. I should have done it manually though, but the way you show me is quicker.

Thanks a lot.

Date: August 12, 2020 08:44PM

HI,

I still getting an error message to update or down load a plugin or theme in Wordpress. At the beginning of this thread that I posted a few weeks ago, I had the same problem and it was because I didn't press the key 'Y' to copy'the httpd-vhosts.conf file,' in the installation process.
This time I did it for the new version of Apache (2.4.46) but I got into trouble when I tired to update plugins and themes. I then checked if I could download any theme or plugin and I got the same error messages I got before.
If I change to the old version (2.4.43a) everything works fine.
I don't understand what's happening and how I could sort out this issue with the new version.
Any advise will be very helpful.
Thanks a lot.

Date: August 15, 2020 06:20PM

Hi,

Does anybody know why after updating Apache and pressing the Y key to copy the files, I can't update or download plugins or themes in Wordpress?

Any advice will be very helpful,

Thanks in advance.

Date: August 15, 2020 06:30PM

Hi,

Do the files:

wamp(64)\bin\apache2.4.46\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf
and
wamp(64)\bin_apache2.4.43a\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf

are strictly identical?

Date: August 16, 2020 12:18AM

Hi,

Yes, they both are the same. The only difference is that the last bit of information that shows the root path for my second local virtual host in apache2.4.46 it takes 2 lines in a row and the apache2.4.43a (the version that works) has an extra line

apache2.4.46:

"c:/users/Asus/documents/webprojects/pets/wordpress/">
Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews

apache2.4.43a:

"c:/users/Asus/documents/webprojects/pets/wordpress/">
Options +Indexes +Includes +FollowSymLinks
+MultiViews

Date: August 16, 2020 11:45AM

Hi,

Do the same for 2.4.46, put +Multiviews on the line.

This would mean removing the +Multiviews option

See: [httpd.apache.org]

Date: August 16, 2020 07:34PM

Hi,

It doesn't work. I tried several times but something seems not quite right. It didn't allow me to put in line +Multiviews with the rest. I tried to remove +Multiviews completely but it didn't work either. I also deleted the file httpd-vhosts.conf from 2.4.46 folder, and pasted the 2.4.43a httpd-vhosts.conf instead. The only thing it changed is the error message
Now when I tried to download a theme it says this:

Twenty Fifteen
Installation failed: Could not copy file. twentyfifteen/genericons/COPYING.txt

I am not quite sure if that is what is causing the problem because if I change the file, it should be working but this is not the case.

Date: August 17, 2020 09:32AM

Hi,

See if you load the same Apache modules in both cases. You may have enabled loading an Apache module with 2.4.43 and not enabled it with 2.4.46.

You can see it with Right-Click -> Tools -> Show loaded Apache modules

> installation failed: Could not copy file. twentytwenty/assets/images/2020-landscape-1.png
This is the error displayed by the theme or plugin. It would be nice to check the PHP log for a more explicit error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2020 05:52PM by Otomatic.

Date: August 17, 2020 06:45PM

Hi,

I attached the information about Apache modules as I don't understand it. I don't know if I enabled loading an Apache module with 2.4.43 and not enabled it with 2.4.46. If that was the case, how can I fix it?

Apache loaded modules
Core:
core_module
win32_module
mpm_winnt_module
http_module
so_module

Shared modules:
access_compat_module
actions_module
alias_module
allowmethods_module
asis_module
auth_basic_module
auth_digest_module
authn_core_module
authn_file_module
authz_core_module
authz_groupfile_module
authz_host_module
authz_user_module
autoindex_module
cache_module
cache_disk_module
cgi_module
dir_module
env_module
file_cache_module
include_module
isapi_module
log_config_module
mime_module
negotiation_module
rewrite_module
setenvif_module
userdir_module
vhost_alias_module
php7_module

Here is the latest PHP log error I got:

[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 120 seconds exceeded in C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-includes\Requests\Transport\cURL.php on line 462
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP Stack trace:
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 1. {main}() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-admin\admin-ajax.php:0
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 2. do_action() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-admin\admin-ajax.php:176
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 3. WP_Hook->do_action() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-includes\plugin.php:478
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 4. WP_Hook->apply_filters() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-includes\class-wp-hook.php:311
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 5. wp_ajax_install_plugin() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-includes\class-wp-hook.php:287
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 6. Plugin_Upgrader->install() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-admin\includes\ajax-actions.php:4345
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 7. Plugin_Upgrader->run() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-admin\includes\class-plugin-upgrader.php:137
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 8. Plugin_Upgrader->download_package() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-admin\includes\class-wp-upgrader.php:743
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 9. download_url() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-admin\includes\class-wp-upgrader.php:283
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 10. wp_safe_remote_get() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-admin\includes\file.php:1054
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 11. WP_Http->get() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-includes\http.php:68
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 12. WP_Http->request() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-includes\class-http.php:626
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 13. Requests::request() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-includes\class-http.php:394
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 14. Requests_Transport_cURL->request() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-includes\class-requests.php:381
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 15. curl_exec() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-includes\Requests\Transport\cURL.php:162
[15-Aug-2020 21:34:35 UTC] PHP 16. Requests_Transport_cURL->stream_body() C:\Users\Asus\Documents\WEBPROJECTS\PETS\Wordpress\wp-includes\Requests\Transport\cURL.php:162

Date: August 17, 2020 07:32PM

Hi,

> If that was the case, how can I fix it?
It's not hard to remember the list of modules loaded while running Apache 2.4.43, then do the same thing with Apache 2.4.46 and compare the two lists. This is the fundamental of any comparison.

> Maximum execution time of 120 seconds exceeded
Here again, it is fundamental, ALWAYS go and see the log files in case of a problem.
So, if you don't see what to try, it's to despair!

This kind of PHP parameter is directly modifiable by the Wampmanager menus.

Date: August 18, 2020 06:05PM

Hi,

I don't know what the log files modules are and where are they? I don't know what to try on in this case. And what exactly do you think I should look for?

Regarding to Maximum execution time of 120 seconds exceeded, I changed to 240 and nothing happens. I tried to download another theme but the problem still there, and when I checked the log error,it didn't show anything.

Date: August 19, 2020 09:48AM

Hi,

Stay with Apache 2.4.43a, there is no obligation to upgrade to Apache 2.4.46.

Date: August 19, 2020 06:12PM

Hi,

It's what I've been doing so far, but I don't know if that will be fixed by new versions in the future. Over time, if Apache 2.4.43a gets older and I try to updated it to another one, I may get this problem again. Perhaps my lack of knowledge of IT it may take you to much time to explain me how to fix it, but at least, I would like to know what do you reckon about this issue, what do you believe it cause this problem?

Date: August 19, 2020 07:31PM

Hi,

I don't know where the problem is, but 99% of it is a WordPress problem or rather a plugin and/or theme problem.

Date: August 20, 2020 11:11AM

Hi,

Ok, I just want to let you know that the two local sites, the one installed in wamp64 folder, works well. The other local virtual site it didn't, but it was empty. No themes apart from the default ones and no plugins either. Both have the latest version of Wordpress.

At the moment is not a big issue because the Apache 2.4.43a version is not too old but, I will have to have faith and hope that this bug disappear by itself.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.