Wamp or Xampp - LocalHost new to me
Posted by: Maricha (---.dynamic.telenor.dk)
Date: January 14, 2020 11:37PM

Hi.
I'm new to the thought of making a local development environment.

The web-server info:
System Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64
PHP 5.6.6
Apache 2.2.22 (Debian)
Mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev
CMS Prestashop 1.6

The workstation:
Home: Win7 64bit /16gb Ram
Work: Win10 64bit /?

I am a novice-Intermediate developer and a total newbie Prestashop'er, why I want an environment that doesn't screw up the online site.
It is preferable if I can install the LocalHost (Wamp, Xampp or...) on a portable drive, so I can use it both on work and work at home.

What do you suggest for me as a startup?

Thank you kindly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp or Xampp - LocalHost new to me
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2020 09:36AM

Hi,

WAMP is for: Windows Apache Mysql PHP

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2020 11:21AM

Hi,

What are you considering placing on the portable drive? Just site code (i.e. a VirtualHosted folder) or all of WAMPServer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: January 16, 2020 01:14PM

Otomatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> WAMP is for: Windows Apache Mysql PHP

Hi again.
I guess in my lack of knowledge I'm confused if the Windows-part is an info of the live web-Server-environment or the local-pc environment to be installed?!? I do need Apache, Mysql, PHP, but the live server is Linux and My PC is windows.

Your kernel knowledge is my saviour to do it right the first time smiling smiley

Thanks for replying such a question, which for you is obvious.... But for me a learning curve....

Date: January 16, 2020 01:26PM

RiggsFolly Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are you considering placing on the portable
> drive? Just site code (i.e. a VirtualHosted
> folder) or all of WAMPServer?

What do you suggest? It's only for me, but I want to continue a task/project if I am at either of 2 different places.
The easiest would probably be on a laptop, but I don't have any I can use atm.

When I know how and what to install of the ?amp's, I can install it on both workstations - and maybe have the site code as you said VirtualHosted.
But is it possible to have the whole WampServer on a portable when the 2 places has different windows versions?

As a LocalHost newbie I will need a full dummy-guide and the easiest way to get things started.

Thanks for replying. I'm looking forward to try your suggestion. smiling smiley

--------------------------------- o ---------------------------------

Just because a fish can't climb a tree, it doesn't mean it's not smart!

Date: January 16, 2020 04:49PM

Hi,

Honestly, you can put it all on a stick, but you really need to know what you are doing. Its unnecessarily complex, and not for beginners.

The absolutely best way to do this would be to have your site code stored in something like GIT on a central repo, the works repo if possible, because of course you are using some sort of source management tool arn't you?

Then you install WAMPServer on your home PC and you aready have your live Env working.

All you then do is clone the site on your personal PC in a folder setup as a VH and you can push and pull code from anywhere.

The slightly larger issue is that PHP 5.6.6 is ancient and we do not have that version on our ADDONS list in fact nothing in the 5.6 string before 5.6.16

The next issue is we dont seem to have any Apache 2.2 versions anywhere on the ADONS store anymore either.

So it is looking less and less liely that using WAMPServer you could get to a compatible set of software.

You can of course try and install all the AMP stack manually and configure it yourself

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: January 16, 2020 05:42PM

RiggsFolly Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Honestly, you can put it all on a stick, but you
> really need to know what you are doing. Its
> unnecessarily complex, and not for beginners.

Then it's probably not for me, yet....

>
> The absolutely best way to do this would be to
> have your site code stored in something like
> GIT on a central repo,

oh you lost me there, please use a more words
- my friend Google comes up with Git Repository....?

>the works repo if possible,
> because of course you are using some sort of
> source management tool aren't you?

The Site I'm helping with, is a Prestashop-shop, which I'm not familiar with, yet... I want to do some "behind the scene" changes - like changing the appearance or even making a new theme.
I want the dev-environment to help trying out these things before changing the live-site - and not causing it downfalls.
I don't know exactly what you mean with source management tool, - yet.... smiling smiley
I have no other tools atm, but FileZilla for ftp, normal editor like Notepad++ and Prestashop and ofc phpMyAdmin.

> Then you install WAMPServer on your home PC and
> you aready have your live Env working.
>
> All you then do is clone the site on your personal
> PC in a folder setup as a VH and you can push and
> pull code from anywhere.

Awesome - I would love to know more about that.... (for future calls)

> The slightly larger issue is that PHP 5.6.6 is
> ancient and we do not have that version on our
> ADDONS list in fact nothing in the 5.6 string
> before 5.6.16
>
> The next issue is we dont seem to have any Apache
> 2.2 versions anywhere on the ADONS store anymore
> either.

So the Prestashop 1.6 will not run on the Wamp - without serious tweakings?

>
> So it is looking less and less liely that using
> WAMPServer you could get to a compatible set of
> software.
>
>
> You can of course try and install all the AMP
> stack manually and configure it yourself

Probably a too big of a mouthful right now

Thank you sincerely for your time - it is very appreciated!

--------------------------------- o ---------------------------------

Just because a fish can't climb a tree, it doesn't mean it's not smart!

Date: January 16, 2020 06:07PM

- oh you lost me there, please use a more words
Source management tool = GIT (not for this site to provide tutorials on this)

- Awesome - I would love to know more about that.... (for future calls)
See above

I feel your pain, its a hard slope to climb, from nooby to capable, there is so much to learn. However these are not topic that we cover on this forum. We just cover getting WAMPServer working if you had a problem doing so.

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2020 07:33PM

Hi,

I don't want to interfere with RiggsFolly's explanations - which I thank again - but what you would like to do is doable, but not within the reach of the newbie!

Your local sites, as VirtualHost, may very well be on an external drive or even a network drive. If it's an external disk, it must always have the same drive letter, and if it's a network disk, always the same IP, no matter what machines it's connected to.

It is also important to think that sites are not only html and php files, they are also databases and the only reliable and perennial way to transport a database from one machine to another is to export/import it as a SQL file.

That's why, since you're just starting out, it would be much better if you only deal with one machine.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.