Changing MySQL Version doesn't change Service exe
Posted by: Boris1997 (---.sparkbb.co.nz)
Date: December 27, 2019 11:41AM

Hi,

I have a problem, that when select MySQL v8.0.18 from the WAMP MySQL Version Menu it goes through the process of stopping the service and restarting, however when i look at the executable path for the wampmysqld64 service it still points to my previous MySQL v5.7.23 version.

The only way i can get this to work, is if i select v8.0.18, allow it to go through its process where it thinks it has changed, then unselecting the 'Allow MySQL' option from the Wamp Settings menu (which deletes the wampmysqld64 service). Then once i've restarted all services (excluding Wamp) i select 'Allow MySQL' and it will create the service pointing to the correct MySQL Path.

However, once i've done this i still can't use the version selection to go back to v5.7.23 (and basically have to repeat the process above).

I can't find any errors in the logs. MySQL Server works fine (i.e. can log in and do normal SQL activities)

Localhost does state the MySQL Version is 8.0.18 even though the service running is from the 5.7.23 bin folder, and attempting to connect to it with a client confirms the version is indeed still v5.7.23

All Services start (i.e. green Wamp icon)

WampServer 3.2.0 (64bit)

C:\wamp64

Apache: 2.4.41 (64Bit)
PHP: 7.4.1
PHP CLI: 7.4.1

MySQL: v5.7.23 and 8.0.18

C:\wamp64\bin\mysql\mysql5.7.23
C:\wamp64\bin\mysql\mysql8.0.18

Windows Server 2016 Standard (64 Bit)

Any assistance here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2019 12:06PM by Boris1997.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changing MySQL Version doesn't change Service exe
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2019 02:09PM

Hi,

Never seen a problem like this before.

- Exit Wampserver

- Open a command windows as administrator, then type :
sc delete wampmysqld64

- Launch Wampserver. Icon will be not green.

Left-Click wampmanager tray icon -> MySQL -> Service administration -> Install service

Left-Click wampmanager tray icon -> MySQL -> Service administration -> Start/Resume service

------- Edit -----

I forgot, it's also possible to do:

Right-Click -> Tools -> Reinstall all services

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2019 04:00PM by Otomatic.

Date: December 28, 2019 01:04PM

Otomatic Wrote:
> - Open a command windows as administrator, then
> type :
>
sc delete wampmysqld64
>
> - Launch Wampserver. Icon will be not green.
>
> Left-Click wampmanager tray icon -> MySQL ->
> Service administration -> Install service
>
> Left-Click wampmanager tray icon -> MySQL ->
> Service administration -> Start/Resume service
>

Using this method will create the service pointing to the correct MySQL Bin folder (for whatever Version of MySQL has been selected in the Version Menu). i.e. similar to unchecking the 'Allow MySQL' option, then re-checking that option.

>
> I forgot, it's also possible to do:
>
> Right-Click -> Tools -> Reinstall all services

This method does not create the MySQL Service pointing to the correct MySQL Bin folder. It re-creates (Well i can't actually tell if it does re-create/re-install it as it happens to quickly to notice if the service gets deleted and then re-created) the service pointing to the same MySQL Bin folder that previously existed.

I should ask, under normal working circumstances, changing to a different MySQL Server version should normally just require clicking the different version in the Versions submenu (similar to selecting a different PHP version?)

Cheers

Date: December 28, 2019 02:48PM

Hi,

Boris1997
I should ask, under normal working circumstances, changing to a different MySQL Server version should normally just require clicking the different version in the Versions submenu (similar to selecting a different PHP version?)
That's the way it's been since Wampserver was founded. It doesn't work well for you, I can't help it.

- in the file wamp64\wampmanager.conf, what's on the line:
mysqlVersion = "x.y.z"

- have you installed Wampserver "as administrator"?

- are you up to date with Windows updates?

- are you up to date in VC++ packages?

Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: December 30, 2019 02:33PM

Otomatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> - have you installed Wampserver "as
> administrator"?
>
> - are you up to date with Windows updates?
>
> - are you up to date in VC++ packages?

I was 'reasonably' sure i had installed as Administrator and updated appropriately. However without being 100% certain i have created a clean installation on a new server and swapping between MySQL 5 and 8 works without any issues.

Fortunately this was an option i was able to take.

Appreciate your efforts to help.

Cheers

Date: December 30, 2019 03:40PM

Hi,

> Fortunately this was an option i was able to take.
Since no one is safe from an error, even an old one, it gave me the opportunity to check the MySQL version change procedure and, at the same time, the MariaDB version change procedure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.