FTP and Email Servers
Posted by: TwistedChaos (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 04:14PM

Has anyone thought of creating an email and ftp portion to this project?

i highly recommend itgrinning smiley

i use all servers right now and i would love the ability to do so from wamp....

...maybe i go ahead and create such a thing

Post Edited (04-11-06 16:14)

A Massive Heart Attack = Computer Crash sad smiley

I am a member of CAF -> Computer Addicts Forever smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FTP and Email Servers
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 09:08PM

WAMP is designed for local development, not to be a fully functioning server. It is way to insure to run as a webserver, and since it was designed to be used locally, ftp is not needed. see my previous posts on running an email server.

Post Edited (04-11-06 21:39)

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP Forum Admin

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Posted by: TwistedChaos (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2006 04:08PM

I know that it is designed as local testing but dont you think local testing of email and ftp should also be an option...

to fmailiarize people with the process and all

A Massive Heart Attack = Computer Crash sad smiley

I am a member of CAF -> Computer Addicts Forever smiling smiley

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2006 07:17PM

Having a SMTP server running local is a huge security issue. It won’t take long before a spam bot discovers your open unsecure server and starts using your email server as a relay to send their spam. I am not going to say this might happen, what I am saying is it will happen. Spammers need these unsecure servers to send their spam so they are always on the prowl searching for servers to relay their emails from. And don’t think you can just search google on how to secure your SMTP server. Unless your are a highly experienced system level administrator, and know how to configure and secure a SMTP server, you will be caught by a spam bot. The whole spammer business model is reliant on these factors.

When a spammer starts using your server to send their emails, all the emails will have all your info in it, so it will appear you sent the spam, not the spammer. Your ISP will shut your internet connection down in no time.

Post Edited (04-14-06 22:52)

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP Forum Admin

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Posted by: RealNub (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2006 03:44AM

If you want something like that get Xammp, kinda like wamp, but alot more.. its meant for servers,
The distribution for Windows 98, NT, 2000 and XP. This version contains: Apache, MySQL, PHP + PEAR, Perl, mod_php, mod_perl, mod_ssl, OpenSSL, phpMyAdmin, Webalizer, Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32 and NetWare Systems v3.32, JpGraph, FileZilla FTP Server, mcrypt, eAccelerator, SQLite, and WEB-DAV + mod_auth_mysql.

[www.apachefriends.org] <--windows
[www.apachefriends.org] <--linux

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.