the basics please--install not working?
Posted by: texastwostep (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 11:08PM

I installed WAMP. I plan to use DW to create a site with Cartweaver add-in and some Javascript menus. PHP to work with MySQL database. When i select launch at istall, I just get a little icon in lower right--I don't get an wizards to configure where my files are, where my server is, etc. I am willing to test locally but I don't even know how to configure a localhost! I cannot find the exact instructions (simple, basic, install this here, PHP here, DW files here) anywhere and I have spent HOURS and HOURS looking. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the basics please--install not working?
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 02:01AM

Everything is already configured. Start apache, and then start MySQL. You can now access localhost at:

[localhost]

You save all your php, html, css, images, and other website files in this folder:
C:\wamp\www

Now start DreamWeaver, on the top menu bar, click on Site, then scroll down and select Manage Sites. A little dialog box will open up. Click on the New button, and a small box will open up below the button, and click on Site.

Here is where you enter your local info so DreamWeaver knows how to access your local WAMP webserer. You will now see an area where you enter Site Definitions. Click on the Advanced tab at the top of the Site Definitions dialog box.

Now, under the Local Info settings, use:

Site Name
This sets a name for your site. This can be anything. I use localhost. Since you are using WAMP locally, you should use localhost too. Also, I recommend you set this to localhost I use this setting to describe how to use another setting further on in this little tutorial.

Local Root Folder
This will be the location of your www folder, so set it to this:
c:\wamp\www

Refresh local files list automatically
Keep this setting checked

Default images folder
You can leave this blank, if you decided to put an images folder in your www folder, then use:
c:\wamp\www\images

Links relative to
Make sure this is set to Document

HTTP address
Set this to:
[localhost]

Case-sensitive links
Make sure you check this box. It will make DreamWeaver use case sensitive links. if you are ever going to upload your website to a linux based webhost, linux is case sensative, so it is good to use case sensitive links.

Enable cache
Keep this setting checked, it makes DreamWeaver faster and work more efficiently.
Now, in the menu to the left, select Testing Server

Sever Model
Scroll down and select PHP MYSQL.

Access
Since you are working locally, scroll down and select Local/Network

Testing server folder
After you select Local/Network for the Access setting, this option will appear. Do not change it.

Refresh testing file list automatically
Make sure this box is checked.

Now, in the menu on the left, select Cloaking

Enable cloaking
Make sure you uncheck this setting

Now, in the menu in the left, select Site Map Layout

Home page
Change to this:
c:\WAMP\www\index.php

You are now done, click on the OK button at the bottom of the Site Definition dialog box. Your site now added into DreamWeaver.

Now, make sure the Files panel is set to be displayed in the main DreamWeaver window. From the top menu bar, click on Window and then scroll down about half way, and make sure there is a check mark next to Files. If not, select it to put the check mark there.

Now, select the Files panel. It is the panel in your main DreamWeaver window with an upside down triangle next to it.

After you select the Files panel, right at the top of the panel you will see two select boxes. Click on the first select box on the left side, and the scroll down and select localhost. Or if you used a different name in the Site Name setting, select the one you used.

Now your files will be displayed in the Files dialog box. This is where you can open up files to edit or create new sites for you site. All the files you add here will put into your www folder by DreamWeaver.

Post Edited (08-07-06 10:45)

CyberSpatium
----------------------
WAMP Forum Admin

Web Development for Newbie's Blog - Check out my new blog. It is for web developers, and especially tailored for the web development newbie. If you are not fluent in “geek speak”, then this incredible resource is just you. And even if you are a web development pro, this is a great resource to check out some of the latest web development tips, news, tutorials, codes and more.

Posted by: mrtgrady (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: August 09, 2006 03:30PM

Hi

I'm using DW8 with the latest WAMP and everytime I try to create a connection to MySQL I get an error:

Error 2002 Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

I've been reading up on this error on as many forums as I can find it on and this kind of error normally happens when running MySQL on a *NIX box. I'm running everything locally on my laptop which runs XP Pro.

I can connect to the wampmysqld service from PHPMyAdmin and SQLiteManager via [localhost] and using Navicat 7.2.2 enterprise.

If I code the connections by hand then they work fine, but the whole point of having DW8 is I don't want to have to write the PHP code for my connections or recordsets.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so how was it fixed?

Thanks in advance

Mark G

Posted by: CyberSpatium (67.170.181.---)
Date: August 10, 2006 03:40AM

The error (2002) Can't connect errors normally means that there is no MySQL server running on the server or you are using a wrong port number when trying to connect to MySQL. since mysql is installed and running you must be trying to connect to the wrong port.

the default MySQL port is: 3306

Posted by: digitaldissection (---.cable.ubr10.live.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 21, 2006 07:26PM

Hi,

I too am having problems configuring DW and MySQL. I've followed the steps above, but when I try and open a PHP script in DW i get ;

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in C:\wamp\www\DEAD RABBIT\wsb4065777401\catalogue\includes\functions\database.php on line 19

Im new to this, and the site Im editing was created by someone else. I cant even access the php files using localhost - I can access the index.html page, which is flash movie, but when i select a button to get me to some php, i get

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /DEAD RABBIT/wsb4065777401/catalogue/< on this server.

Another user recommended I ask you, CyberSpatium. Can you help?

Much obliged.

bang bang beep bang

Posted by: CyberSpatium (71.237.217.---)
Date: October 21, 2006 08:36PM

you are getting the call to undefined function error because you have not enabled support for mysql. beginning in php5, mysql is no longer enabled by default in your php.ini file. but this is easy to fix. you need to edit your php.ini file, and find:

;extension=php_mysql.dll

to enable mysql, remove the semicolon at the beginning of the line above. now save the file, and then restart apache for your new setting to take effect.

Posted by: yfastud (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 22, 2006 12:05AM

To digitaldissection, so you finally found it, huh? As I've already suggested in the other post, you have to enable php_mysql. Did you do it? If not, do it then post back here.

Good luck, buddy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.