Apache won't start
Posted by: bjornulf (---.80-202-9.nextgentel.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 07:54PM

I have two computers that I have installed WAMP1.6.1. Both have XP sp2. On my desktop computer everything works fine. But on my laptop I am not able to make it work.
I have tried all the tips I have found in this forum.

I have disabled Skype, changed listening port for Apache to 8080 and disabled firewall. The WAMP icon is displaying a yellow sector indicating that not all processes are running. On mouseover it displays “1 of 2 services running”. The menu symbols are indicating that Apache is not running. The start and stop symbols are grey and not coloured like in the MySQL menu.

Please help me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Apache won't start
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 04:38AM

Have you changed anything in your httpd.conf file, other then port setting? Do you have IIS installed on the laptop? IIS uses the same port as apache, and if it is running, apache will not start. a few people here have had some complaints of Norton firewall causing apache to not work. You say you have SP2, so also make sure windows firewall allows apache too.

Posted by: bjornulf (---.80-202-9.nextgentel.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 06:22PM

Nothing else has been changed in httpd.config. I don't know what IIS is. All firewalls have been disabled. The only thing special about the computer is that is an IBM Thinkpad with Thinkvantage software running.

I have tested another bundle containing WAMP architecture, eZpublish and it worked fine with apache. But I need a more general purpose bundle like the WAMPserver.

Posted by: dmil101 (---.snloca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2006 12:09AM

Go to Start/Run/cmd. When the window opens, type netstat -a -n. If any other application is listening on the ports Apache wants to start on, WAMP will not install the Apache service at all. You then need to determine what program is making the connection and disable it while you install WAMP. Try disabling all other IM or monitoring pograms and run netstat again until the offending connection drops.

The world stand open before you, like some kind of open standing thing.

Posted by: muybn (158.91.217.---)
Date: March 24, 2006 10:10AM

I have a ThinkPad also and Apache won't run on it, even after I turned off the firewall. I was able to install it on two desktops. Come to think of it, one of the reasons I'm trying to switch over to PHP is because I couldn't run IIS to serve up ASP projects. I'll check with IBM/Lenovo to see if they have any known issues. Reading about your problem on a ThinkPad and IIS not working, all seem like more than a coincidence--especially after reading that IIS and Apache run on the same port.

Later:
I checked with IBM and they have no known issues.

Post Edited (03-29-06 05:32)

Posted by: muybn (158.91.217.---)
Date: March 29, 2006 05:41AM

dmil101 wrote:

> Go to Start/Run/cmd. When the window opens, type netstat -a
> -n. If any other application is listening on the ports Apache
> wants to start on, WAMP will not install the Apache service at
> all. You then need to determine what program is making the
> connection and disable it while you install WAMP. Try
> disabling all other IM or monitoring pograms and run netstat
> again until the offending connection drops.
>

I have seven ports listing the State "LISTENING," one of which appears to be port 80 (local address 0.0.0.0:80). Please explain to me how to change listening ports.

Posted by: Jazzper (---.82-200-80.adsl.skynet.be)
Date: March 29, 2006 11:26PM

I had same problem and figured out that Skype uses port 80. After closing Skype, Apache started normally

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.