FTP Security from WAMP
Posted by: Rizzocow (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 03:33AM

I was just wondering if anyone can help me to secure my ftp site. Here's the scenario:
I installed wamp and all is working now. On the default wamp home page, there is a heading called "Your Projects" which has links to my forum as well as my ftp. I am using the default www folder and inside of that folder I placed an ftp folder to use as the home directory for users of my ftp server. I don't want to allow people to access the ftp server from a broswer from that link on the home page. I want them to use a ftp client program toaccess it. Does anyone know how to disable that link to the ftp from the home page or which files I shouls edit to at least require a password log-on box to pop up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FTP Security from WAMP
Posted by: LePerdu (---.gtcust.grouptelecom.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 04:10PM

if you mean securing ftp access :
you will have to disable the anonymous access to your ftp server. That way users will be forced to login to be able to access the files.

if you mean securing http access of the files in the ftp folder :
you will have to use an .htaccess and .htpasswd file to force users to use a user/password to access that folder. There are plenty of tutorials on the web about those files, simply google it.

But, just out of curiosity, why put the ftp folder within your http domain?

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: February 28, 2006 06:10PM

Hi,

There are some very good ways to set the permission, but I myself like to set up virtual host in apache. This way, you can set up subdomain for each user as well your forum and ftp, also your webmail. For example:

forum.yourdomain.com
ftp.yourdomain.com
webmail.yourdomain.com (of course, if you already set up your mail server)
user1.yourdomain.com
user2.yourdomain.com

In addition, you can also have a setup that only your local network can gain access to the wampserver welcome page.

Hope this help,

BN

Access the Apache Welcome Page from LocalHost
Posted by: teufelhunden_usmc_5963 (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 04:01AM

Please relate how this is done. I know in other Apache installations, this is the default. You can only access the apache welcome page from the localhost.

yfastud wrote:
>
> In addition, you can also have a setup that only your local
> network can gain access to the wampserver welcome page.
>
> Hope this help,
>
> BN

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2006 01:42PM

LePerdu
>if you mean securing http access of the files in the ftp folder :
>you will have to use an .htaccess and .htpasswd file to force
> users to use a user/password to access that folder.

.htaccess and .htpasswd only contol webusers not ftp users. You can not use .htaccess to protect a directory from ftp access

Rizzocow
You have to configure your ftp server to allow certain directories for certain users. How to set these rules differs from each ftp server software out there. You should post this question in the support forum for the particular ftp server software you use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.