Domain publishing?
Posted by: Ben (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 12:40AM

First off I'd like to start by saying that my internet connection cuts out frequently and since I publish to my IP address (and it changes every time my connection cuts out) I have to go all through my site and edit it so all the links work with the new IP address. Now for the questions, where can I get a free domain name with out web hosting since I will be hosting through WAMP5? Also once I have acquired the domain name how do I set WAMP5 to publish to it instead of my IP address?

--Thank so much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Domain publishing?
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 08:53AM

you need to singup for a dynamic IP DNS service. search yahoo, there are tons of free ones. my favorite is everydns.net, but if you know nothing about dynmic dns and dynamic IP, then it is not a good place for newbies to start.

Posted by: yfastud (72.236.169.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 06:30PM

Hi Ben,
You can get free domain with dot.tk, and I suggest using DNS through zoneedit.com which is much easier for newbie just like you and me.
Hope this help,

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 12:06PM

beware, I have used zoneedit.com before, and their DNS servers were very slow, causing my site to load much slower than normal.

Posted by: pete (---.gtcust.grouptelecom.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 05:14PM

i've been using www.no-ip.com for about 4 years now. They work great. You can set it to check / update multiple names at the interval you wish. The updates are pretty much instantanious and it never slowed me down. Doubt i've ever had it not respond either.

Its free and I think its limited to 5 names for the free version. There are other similar services there, some of them aren't free. But for what you need, they should provide more then enough functionality.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.