html files want to download
Posted by: Steven (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 11:22AM

HTM & HTML files seem to want to download rather than open at the oddest times. I browse the index of my web root and click on an htm or html file and the open, but I go to a directory with an html file that is pointed to as the DirectoryIndex by .htaccess or as an include in a PHP program and it opens a download dialog box in both Firefox and IE.

Is this a mime configuration problem? Has anyone else had this experience?

I have 2 php programs that are basically identical and have includes which are htm files. One works and one doesn't and I can't figure out any reason why.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: html files want to download
Date: February 24, 2006 07:54AM

ping

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 10:52PM

if you have any html webpages that have php code in them, then they need to be changed to php files.

Date: February 25, 2006 12:41AM

That wasn't it, but thanx for the feedback. I just located the problem (I assume and hope). There was a directive in some of my directories to parse html files that was a throwback to an uncompiled plain text parser I once used.

Depending on how the pages were accessed and the header in the page, some were being treated as needing to be parsed. While others were not. To compound the problem, the directives would cache in such a way that even when the directive was removed, the behavior remained the same making me think, for a time... a long time, that wan't the problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.