I'm Missing something about phpbb!
Posted by: rizzocow (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 06:38AM

First let me point out that I am fairly new to mysql and php.
Ok, here's what I've done so far.

I installed wamp without a problem. From my understanding, the default user for phpmyadmin and sql is "root" with NO password. I copied the phpbb directory into the www directory. I was able to get to phpmyadmin as well as sqlite. When I tried to run the installation for phpbb I got the message about the @localhost not being able to connect. I cleared the cache, tried again and was able to install it when I used the root user and password. However, as we know, this is not very secure so I changed the root password by performing the following from the console:

mysql>
mysql>update mysql.user SET password=password("newpassword"winking smiley hit enter
mysql>where user="root"; hit enter
Query OK

mysql>Flush Privileges; hit enter
Query OK
mysql>quit hit enter
mysql>bye

I also edited the phpMyAdmin config.inc file to reflect the changed password for the root account. Now here's the part where I want to stick my head through the monitor! When I try to access the phpbb, I get the message " phpbb critical error cannot connect to database" I checked and double checked all that i've read here as well as everywhere else that google will allow me to check. WTF is going on??? No one here seems to have a valid answer either.! If someone can tell me what, precisely, it is that I can do to make this work, or at the very least tell me WHY it's doing what it is...then I'll be MORE than happy to fix the damn thing! I'm not lazy, I love to read and research but c'mon! With everyone who's using this app (wamp), no one has an answer to the same problem that I've seen posted here at least 50 times! ( and yes...I read every single one of them)!
At least I was smart enough to make a backup as soon as I was able to access the phpbb the very first time. But in order to connect again I had to ge back and reset the root paswword to the default and that's the only account I can use (for now)! So here's what I'd like to accomplish:

1. Authenticate to mysql and phpmyadmin (as well as phpbb) as a user other than root and set a password for it. And I would like to do this without having the whole damn thing blowup!
2. See item number 1!

Just trying to make it work folks...forgive my frustration please! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm Missing something about phpbb!
Posted by: Pascal Laniel (---.gtcust.grouptelecom.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 07:40PM

in the root folder of phpbb, these should be a file named config.php.

Edit the password line like this :
$dbpasswd = 'yourpasswordhere';

And by the way, this is not a phpbb forum

Posted by: rizzocow (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 10:54PM

If you took the time to actually read my post you would've read that I already tried editing the config.php file and that's when all of the trouble started. As far as this not being a phpbb forum...apparently, it isn't much of a WAMP forum either!!!
This is exactly what I was talking about in the previous post. Jeez!

Pascal Laniel wrote:

> in the root folder of phpbb, these should be a file named
> config.php.
>
> Edit the password line like this :
> $dbpasswd = 'yourpasswordhere';
>
> And by the way, this is not a phpbb forum

Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 11:01PM

he is talking about editing the config.php file for phpbb, not phpmyadmin

Posted by: Pascal Laniel (---.gtcust.grouptelecom.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 11:46PM

if you had taken the time to read my post, as CyberSpatium said, I was talking about the config.php file for phpbb. So much for trying to help somebody.

Posted by: rizzocow (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 04:15AM

Pascal Laniel wrote:

> if you had taken the time to read my post, as CyberSpatium
> said, I was talking about the config.php file for phpbb. So
> much for trying to help somebody.

I apologize profusely (did I spell that right?) a thousand times, to both you Pascal Laniel and CyberSpatium. You are absolutely right about me not reading YOUR post thoroughly enough (I feel like an a$$)! My frustration seems to have gotten the better of me and for that I'm truly sorry. I will be sure to try what you suggested by editing the CORRECT file in phpbb. I'll let you know if it worked.

Thanks again for responding to someone who is thick headed!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.