Setting up Wordpress site on WAMPSERVER
Posted by: SJO (101.191.46.---)
Date: June 08, 2016 06:25AM

Hi,

I wanted to setup a wordpress site (which is already running on production) on my local PC.
I installed and setup wampserver 2.5 , installed wordpress under the root directory as "C:/Program
Files/wamp/wamp/www/wordpress" . When I open the URL localhost:88/wordpress , it opens the helloworld wordpress welcome page . Then I went onto install my wordpress site by copying the site folder under the same directory as "C:/Program Files/wamp/wamp/www/talent-awards", but this time when I open the URL localhost:88/talent-awards in the browser , it says page not found . I am new to wordpress and WAMP , so not sure what I have missed out .

Help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Setting up Wordpress site on WAMPSERVER
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2016 06:25PM

Hi,

> I installed and setup wampserver 2.5
Why version 2.5 ? It is two years old.
Il will be better to use Wampserver 3.0.4 : WAMPserver 3 - All you need to know

> root directory as "C:/Program Files/wamp/wamp/www/wordpress"
Don't install Wampserver with a path comporting space in it as a space is the delimiter for Apache and PHP CLI parameters.
Install wampserver at a root of a disk or partition : c:\wamp\ or d:\wamp\.

> localhost:88/wordpress
Why port 88 ? The port defined for http protocol is 80

> localhost:88/wordpress
You must launch the local site by 'http://wordpress/' without adding a supplementary level localhost ; so you need to install Wordpress as VirtualHost to avoid problems : The need for Virtual Host

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: SimonT (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2016 08:35AM

This may not address the 404 errors, but it will address any problems in WP if you actually copied an installed Wordpress site to another location without doing several manual steps to change the database and wp-config.php file.

-------

Are you saying that your moved a WP installation by copying it to a new directory under WAMP?

If so, that's not how you move a WP site. You will get all sort of errors doing that.

The easiest way to do it is to use the Duplicator plugin - go to workpress.org and search for it.

In a nutshell:

- install the plugin on the existing WP site (wherever it is) that you want to move to a directory under WAMP

- use it to create what it calls a "Package" The package contains a zip file with the entire site and the database and a file named installer.php

- you download the package files and put them in the directory where you want to move the WP installation. There should be nothing in the directory to which you are moving WP except for the zip and installer.php file that Duplicator created.

I'm assuming that you have the space after 88 because the forum software complained about something with the URL you tried to show.

- you then go to the installer.php file via a browser and follow the steps and fill in the appropriate information. You would go to localhost:88/talent-awards/installer.php -- or whatever directory where you want to move the WP installation.

Posted by: SimonT (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2016 08:37AM

By the way - you should probably go to the the wordpress.org forum for help with installing or moving Wordpress to another directory or another server - like moving an online installation to a local server.

You can use the Duplicator plugin as a backup procedure - always make backups when you are going to make changes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2016 12:37AM by SimonT.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.