Wamp 3.0.4 + PHP 7.x + XDebug 2.4.0 doesn't load
Posted by: rolandd (---.static.chello.nl)
Date: June 03, 2016 10:38AM

Hello everybody,

I have some really odd issue. As soon as I enable XDebug in the php.ini for WAMP and I restart Apache I can no longer load any webpage because I get the error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';', expecting ',' or ')' in xdebug conditional breakpoint on line 1

As soon as I set

xdebug.remote_enable = 0

then reload Apache, everything comes back.

I have had this issue ever since installing WAMP 3 and PHP 7.0.0 and any subsequent PHP 7 versions. Updated to WAMP 3.0.4 but the error persists.

On this installation I also have PHP 5.6.16 and the same XDebug settings work fine there. I am suspecting it has something to do with the DLLs but this is out of my league.

The XDebug binary I am using is php_xdebug-2.4.0-7.0-vc14-x86_64.dll. I have also installed the wampserver3_x64_update_xdebug_2.4.0.exe to get a fresh copy but still no go. The same error persists.

If anybody can shed some light on this it is appreciated.

Kind regards,

RolandD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp 3.0.4 + PHP 7.x + XDebug 2.4.0 doesn't load
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2016 11:06AM

Hi,

See the Xdebug documentation about REMOTE DEBUG : [xdebug.org]

You need other things than just putting xdebug.remote_enable to On to use "Debug Remote".

Merely load XDebug by Zend extension that it is enabled by default.
If you do not want to xdebug, we must comment on the load line.

However, this forum is not intended to explain how to use XDebug, nor to explain the use of the WEB or CMS applications.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2016 04:21PM

PHP7 is a MAJOR change.

Would you like to show us some of the code that is causing these errors please.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: rolandd (---.static.chello.nl)
Date: June 05, 2016 12:22PM

@Otomatic
> However, this forum is not intended to explain how to use XDebug, nor to explain the use of the WEB or CMS applications.

I am not asking for support on how to use XDebug or the WEB or CMS applications. I am merely informing you that WAMP doesn't work for me with PHP 7 and XDebug enabled while it works fine with PHP 5.6.

> You need other things than just putting xdebug.remote_enable to On to use "Debug Remote".

I know that as well as I have it running without a problem with PHP 5.6, it's just that the xdebug.remote_enable is the one that causes the error.

> Merely load XDebug by Zend extension that it is enabled by default.

That isn't working for me.

@RiggsFolly

Thanks for the follow up. I seem to have tracked down the issue as being part of the codebase due to the comments here, I wasn't aware of that when I posted the issue. The error I received was at best cryptic winking smiley

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2016 01:46PM

Roland,

Before embarking on a project to move you code to PHP7 you should read this carefully

Its the PHP manual Apendix and contains various sections on Migrating from previous versions.

In your case it would appear that Migrating from PHP 5.6.x to PHP 7.0.x would be a very useful read.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: SimonT (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2016 08:09AM

In response to your "what I am telling you..."

What you told us is that you are getting an error message from some code that probably was not installed with WAMP.

If it is an error generated by PHP as a result of programming errors, it still hasn't anything to do with WAMP.

I agree with RiggsFolly - jumping to PHP 7 from PHP 5 is a huge leap and needs to be approached carefully.

Unless you actually need the newer version, don't install it, wait until you need it.

Also - backup, backup, backup and backup even more when you make big changes.

When making a huge jump like going to PHP 7, you need to be even more careful and have backups so that you can get back where you started.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.