E-Mail Problem
Posted by: Bilal (---.upc-f.chello.nl)
Date: February 19, 2006 04:24AM

What do I have to do, to get a e-mail service or something to send e-mails and more
on my localhost ?? Because I keep getting the follow error on my phpBB board....

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php

It has nothing to do with phpBB, but i have to install something,
but i don't know what....

Thanks in advance,

Bilal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: E-Mail Problem
Posted by: CyberSpatium (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 06:44AM

you need an smtp server to send emails, with out a smtp server you can not sent email messages.

Posted by: madbloke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 07:24PM

where can I get a smtp server from, and is it compatible with wamp5?

as i have made a feedback for on my site, and don't understand how to make it send an email to me, I have wamp5 installed on my local host.

Please help
Thanks very much
MadBloke

Date: February 21, 2006 09:15PM

There are tons of free email SMTP servers out there, but I do not recommend you install one. They open up HUGE security risks and since you do not know how to secure them, you email server will be taken over by spammers in no time and they will send all their spam though your email server so it looks like you where the one sending all the email.

If you do install one, make sure you only turn it on while you are writing you php script. When you are done writing turn it off.

Date: February 21, 2006 09:26PM

sry but that has not helped me at all m8 sad smiley

if i turn it off after writing php code how will my form on my site send emails out?

does wamp5 come with any email system already in it?

and i understand what u mean about the spammers, but there must be a way to stop the twats.

helpppppppppppp!

there must be something i can do to have a email form on my site without spammers using it.

Date: February 21, 2006 09:43PM

Qsmiling smiley sry but that has not helped me at all m8 sad smiley
Asmiling smiley My last post was more of a warning than an answer.

Qsmiling smiley if i turn it off after writing php code how will my form on my site send emails out?
Asmiling smiley WAMP is for development only. It allows us to develop websites locally and test them out on our own computer. Then unload them to a live website webserver. If you are using WAMP to host a website, that is not what WAMP was designed for and is a huge security risk. Hosting a live website with WAMP opens up your complete server to the outside world. WAMP is not configured for security. As it was designed just for testing and development locally, there is no big deal to secure it.

Qsmiling smiley does wamp5 come with any email system already in it?
Asmiling smiley WAMP does not come packed with an email server, and for security reasons, that is a good thing.

Qsmiling smiley i understand what u mean about the spammers, but there must be a way to stop the twats. there must be something i can do to have a email form on my site without spammers using it.
Asmiling smiley Unless you are an experienced system level administrator, there is no way you can configure your smtp server to not get hijacked by spammers. And dont try to think that a spammer wont find your open and vulnerable email server, their whole business depends on this.

Posted by: Italo Souza (---.cscgo701.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br)
Date: February 23, 2006 03:30PM

Things will get fairly easy when you get ready enough.. use you creativity... maybe, you still need to learn how to configure your OutLook account.. winking smiley

Date: February 23, 2006 05:10PM

lmao m8
its got nothing to do with outlock account u nab, maybe you should learn to read winking smiley

and thanks everyone else for your help, I've sorted the problem, it was the php code i was using.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.