Can't get the ssl_module active
Posted by: EdW (---.static.ziggozakelijk.nl)
Date: November 17, 2016 11:25AM

Hi,

I'm trying to get WAMP and SSL to work,
I have been configuring and testing for some time now, and i got stuck at activating the mod_ssl.so.

Situation:
= Newest WAMP 3.06 X64 on a Windows 2012R2 X64 server
= Installed everything default
= Installed 'Win64 OpenSSL v1.1.0c Light' from [slproweb.com]
= I've created a server.key and csr and requested a certificate online
= I followed these steps to configure SSL: [forum.wampserver.com]
= When i uncomment the mod_ssl.so in the httpd.conf Apache won't start.

In the Event log i get the error:
The Apache service named reported the following error:
>>> httpd.exe: Syntax error on line 184 of C:/wamp64/bin/apache/apache2.4.23/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load modules/mod_ssl.so into server: The specified module could not be found. .

The mod_ssl.so file is IN the modules folder, so why can it not be found?
I even put the complete path in the httpd.conf, but the same error came.

What can this be?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't get the ssl_module active
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2016 02:17PM

Hi,

First thing to check i sthat you replaced the ssleay32.dll and libeay32.sll in the PHP folder with the ones from the OpenSSL Lite install you did.

Stop WampServer and exit it.

Copy those 2 dll's from the OpenSSL lite folder into the \wamp\bin\php\php{version} folder.

Then restart WAMPServer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: November 18, 2016 08:53AM

Thanks for the reply RiggsFolly,

I could not find ssleay32.dll and libeay32.sll in the OpenSSL folder (C:\OpenSSL-Win64)
I downloaded and installed the 'Win64 OpenSSL v1.1.0c' from [slproweb.com] and that did also not contain those files.

Must i install the x64 versions, or the X86 versions?
(Wamp is X64, but the files ssleay32.dll and libeay32.sll look like x86)

Date: November 18, 2016 10:05AM

Strange:
They are in the C:\OpenSSL-Win32 and the C:\OpenSSL-Win32\bin folder of my 32bit install.

ARE YOU SURE
The OpenSSL tool cannot function without them, so they must be there somewhere!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: November 18, 2016 10:40AM

Yeah, i'm sure.
I';ve searched the entire PC, and the files

libeay32.dll is only in these folders:
C:\wamp64\bin\php\php7.0.10
C:\wamp64\bin\php\php5.6.25
C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache\rms\Program Files\Sophos\Remote Management System
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools

I've even installed the 32bits OpenSSL module, and the files are not in the openssl-32 folder.

Am installing the wrong OpenSSL versions?

Date: November 18, 2016 11:00AM

I would have expected you to install Win64 OpenSSL v1.1.0c Light from [slproweb.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2016 11:08AM by RiggsFolly.

Date: November 18, 2016 11:21AM

Yeah, thats the one i've installed.
I downloaded and installed this version on my Windows 10 notebook to test it, and the files were also not there.

(and i've placed the dll files in the program dir and not the windows dir)

These files came with the installation:
[dl.dropboxusercontent.com]
[dl.dropboxusercontent.com]

Date: November 18, 2016 11:41AM

Wierd,
I now dont know what to suggest, sorry!

Date: November 18, 2016 12:34PM

Maybe i'll install the 32bits version of WAMP.
I'll let you know

Date: November 18, 2016 02:13PM

Well, i uninstalled the X64 versions and deleted the folders.
Rebooted the server, and installed the latest wamp 32 bits.

When enabling the line: "LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so" the Apache server won't start

Downloaded the 'Win32 OpenSSL v1.1.0c Light' from [slproweb.com]
Still no luck.
The files (ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll) also do not exist in the Open SSL folder.

Posted by: caydee (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: November 19, 2016 10:36AM

Hello! just some input on what's lurking behind the scenes,

Open SSL 110 does seem to have problems:

August 29, 2016 - OpenSSL 1.1.0 is quite different from previous releases. Developers need to recompile their software to support 1.1.0. Users should install BOTH the 1.0.2 series (LTS) and the 1.1.0 series for maximum application compatibility. See the official OpenSSL release strategy document for more details. (https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html)

It was fixed in version 110b which also did not behave and was further fixed to 110c which it seems to me still has problems. See also [github.com]

It also remains to be seen if the issues were at all addressed in the light version. [www.openssl.org]

Regards,

Caydee

Date: November 19, 2016 01:17PM

EdW,

Well I downloaded and installed the same Win32 OpenSSL v1.1.0c Light and if you look in the bin folder you should see libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll If not somethig is very odd with your install.

Please not the 32 in the file name in nothing to do with the DLL being 32bit so the name is the same regardless of 32bit or 64bit install of openssl

Posted by: EdW (---.ftth.telfortglasvezel.nl)
Date: November 21, 2016 01:13PM

Thanks for the replies, and testing with me.

I've tried to install wamp on a X64 Windows 10 PC, and installed the 'OpenSSL v1.1.0c Light' software.
I've placed the files in the bin directory, and not the windows folder, but also on that pc there are no libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll files in the OpenSSL32 folder (and subfolder)

I tried searching for another site with an older OpenSSL version, but did not find one.

And if i find the good dll files, in which folder do i have to overwrite these?
- C:\wamp\bin\php\php7.0.10
- C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.6.25
- C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.4.23\bin

I also notices the files in the Apache bin folder are different, The filetype is '.symlink' and the filesize is 0kb.
I deleted those files, and places the files from the php dir there, but still no luck

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2016 02:51PM

Hi,

> I also notices the files in the Apache bin folder are different, The filetype is '.symlink' and the filesize is 0kb.
> I deleted those files, and places the files from the php dir there, but still no luck

These are symbolic links (symlink) on the same dll files of the active PHP version.

These symlinks are rebuilt each time Wampserver is launched, every change of PHP, Apache or MySQL version, with each change of the parameters, which means that the "real" dll files you put in apache2.4.xy/bin/ will be systematically overwritten by the creation of symbolic links.

So, it is not in apache2.4.xy/bin/ that we must put these files, but we must replace those of wamp\bin\php\phpx.y.z\

----------------------------------------
A symbolic link is a file-system object that points to another file system object. The object being pointed to is called the target.
Symbolic links are transparent to users; the links appear as normal files or directories, and can be acted upon by the user or application in exactly the same manner.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2016 05:04PM by Otomatic.

Date: November 21, 2016 11:42PM

I just re-ran my install of OpenSSL and you are right. the 2 dll's do not appear to be in the install.

I have reported this to the developers, and am awaiting some reply.

Regards

Date: November 22, 2016 08:34AM

Great, thanks for all the help.

Date: November 22, 2016 10:34AM

Hi,

Ok, I think I have a handle on what is going on in the general openssl arena now.

openssl 1.1 includes some major changes to the openssl environment. Among other things this involves the renaming of the libeay32 and ssleay dll's, which is why neither of us could see these files in the openssl1.1.0c release.

As far as I can assertain what this means to us in the Apache/PHP area is that we have to stick with the openssl1.0.2 release set, untill the PHP/Apache guys compile the new openssl into themselves. This release is still maintained and current. So I suggest you uninstall openssl1.1.0c completely, then install openssl1.0.2j
You should then see all the files as expected i.e. libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll

You can then proceed as previously documented.

This will be the case until the Apache/PHP developers can integrate the new openssl1.1 release of openssl. According to the PHP web site this will come with the PHP7.1 release for which there is as yet no firm release date set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2016 04:29PM by RiggsFolly.

Date: November 22, 2016 04:11PM

Thanks, i'll look into that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.