Cannot delete wamp folder? Trying to reinstall
Posted by: ShLuBsTeR (---.cable.user.start.ca)
Date: November 08, 2016 01:06AM

I installed wamp a while ago on my computer and was using it to create php, but one annoying thing that was happening was whenever i'd do an insert in a database, it would insert doubles of everything. So i tried uninstalling wamp to try and reinstall it to see if that would fix the error, but unfortunately after the uninstall, the wamp folder still exists in my C drive with the bin folder and apache within and windows will not let me delete it, and says i need admin privileges even though i am the admin, and when trying to reinstall wamp i get an error because of it saying i need administrator privileges to install. So i even tried using unlocker to delete it but even that wouldnt let me, it seems as if this folder cannot be deleted.
How can i fix this so i can get wamp to reinstall
Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cannot delete wamp folder? Trying to reinstall
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2016 02:01PM

Hi,

Double Inserts will not be anything to do with WAMPServer, it will be the code you are using/writing.

If you are really an administrator, then you should be able to delete the wamp folder.

Possibly if Apache is still running this may cause a problem. make sure that when you uninstall WAMPServer you use the Windows Uninstall process.
If you did not do this, then check the Apache and MYSQL services have been removed.

From the command line launched (As Administrator)
sc delete wampapache
sc delete wampmysqld
Or if you are using 64 bit WAMPServer
sc delete wampapache64
sc delete wampmysqld64

Then try deleting the folder again

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: ShLuBsTeR (---.cable.user.start.ca)
Date: November 08, 2016 03:58PM

I just tried running those lines:
sc delete wampapache64
sc delete wampmysqld64

but cmd says the specified service does not exist as an installed service

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2016 05:25PM

Hi,

ShLuBsTeR
and says i need admin privileges even though i am the admin, and when trying to reinstall wamp i get an error because of it saying i need administrator privileges to install.
If Windows says that you need Administrator privileges, it is because you do not have them; not necessarily at the global, but for special tasks you are trying to do.
First, are you well said as owner and overall control of the c:\wamp\ and all subfolders?

To delete a folder and the files inside, not only must be in as an administrator, but in addition, you must verify that such administrator is owner of C:\wamp\.
I know it sounds silly, but the administrator is not necessarily the owner of the folder.
(In principle, this file owner is "System" .
1) To change the permissions of a folder or file, you must:
- Be awarded the "total control" over this folder or file
- Or be the owner (or be a member of the group that owns it), allowing THEN to assign full control of this folder or file.
2) To be the owner of a folder or file, you must:
- Or by the creator
- Or belong to the Administrators group, allowing the change of the owner, therefore, to declare as the owner.
So Explorer, right-click on "C:\wamp\", Security then Properties, Advanced, Owner.
If you are not the current owner: Edit and select the desired owner then Apply and OK twice. Once the ownership change applied, it must leave (Imperative) the properties window for this to be updated.
Back to file properties "C:\wamp\" Security tab, select the new owner and verify that Full Control applies, otherwise Modify to choose the new owner and validate Full Control.
It is only from there that you can change permissions on the file and remove the read-only.

And, for the installation of Wampserver, it is not enough to be in as an administrator, must still run the installer 'as administrator' so:
Right-Clcik on the installer file, then Run as an administrator.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.