Wamp Server 3 feedback
Posted by: Chris98 (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: October 08, 2016 12:36PM

Just installed WampServer 3.0.6. All in all, fairly good so far. Other than an issue with my databases not seeming to be recognised and having to create them all again rather than importing them into the data folder of MySQL, it seems ok.

However, while there do seem to be a lot of improvements made to this software, there are still various issues, and in particular with the default index.php file that exists. There is also what appears to be a lot of bloat with this version, which I don't like at all.

I've actually gone ahead and removed two aliases already and only kept phpmyadmin. I've also created a new alias for phpinfo which to me makes more sense rather than having this in the index file.

However, one thing I would like to comment on is the quality of the PHP coding I've seen for the default index .etc. It made me shudder to see that, it was absolutely abysmal.

There was an awful lot of things such as:

$phpVersion = $wampConf['phpVersion'];
and in my opinion, the quality of that code was very poor. I'm actually rewriting it for myself as I'm typing this out as I can't bear having it the way it is, but it's also extremely difficult to read and make sense of because of things such as that.

In my opinion, it comes with far too much bloat by default, things such as the admineer. Another thing, why when you create a project does it not add the localhost on and just the project name when you try to access it - when you change the setting in the configuration file, you're given a warning and told to create a virtual host. Why???

Adding localhost makes much more sense, and I'm sure many people will not want 50 virtual hosts for 50 projects. This is a good feature which has been added, but I just genuinely do not understand why you're trying to be forced to create virtual hosts for everything when it's easier and simpler to just use the localhost version.

One other thing I noticed was the wamplanguages .etc. folders. I understand and agree with the principal of having these languages there, but I don't like them intruding on my project's space - I'd rather have these somewhere else instead of the www folder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wamp Server 3 feedback
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2016 01:24PM

Chris98
Other than an issue with my databases not seeming to be recognised and having to create them all again rather than importing them into the data folder of MySQL, it seems ok.
The transfer of databases between different versions of MySQL should be performed by EXPORT/IMPORT of SQL files using phpMyAdmin or a similiar tools of your choice.
Do not copy the data folder between different versions of MYSQL. Databases from different versions of MYSQL are VERY unlikely to be compatible! You will also destroy the version of MYSQL that you copied the data folder to.
If the import is not working, you have to see why. Perhaps simply because MySQL default modes are not the same between export and import.
It's up to you to verify that the software settings you use are the same on each side.

Chris98
However, while there do seem to be a lot of improvements made to this software, there are still various issues, and in particular with the default index.php file that exists. There is also what appears to be a lot of bloat with this version, which I don't like at all.
What you did not like the homepage of Wampserver is, as for the taste and color, personal. Others may not love yours. It is totally impossible to please everybody. This page is functional, that's all we ask; after you do what you want.
Chris98
However, one thing I would like to comment on is the quality of the PHP coding...
There, I agree, although, over the developments, relevant parts have been reworked. Nevertheless, these are developments from Wampserver 2 which itself comes from Wamp5 and should recode much. But ... we must also consider Aestan Tray menu that has not changed since 2008 and for which we are fortunate that he still works with Windows 10. The day Aestan Tray Menu will no longer work, for me it will be the end of Wampserver.

There are almost four years (Wampserver 2.4) noting that there were more developments Wampserver, I decided to develop it gradually yielding 2.5 Wampserver then Wampserver 3 and addons then propose these things to Alterway.
I'm 72 and if I have the desire to evolve further Wampserver, I have no desire to rewrite the code, which I almost know the operation.
Chris98
Another thing, why when you create a project does it not add the localhost on and just the project name when you try to access it - when you change the setting in the configuration file, you're given a warning and told to create a virtual host. Why???
Adding localhost makes much more sense, and I'm sure many people will not want 50 virtual hosts for 50 projects. This is a good feature which has been added, but I just genuinely do not understand why you're trying to be forced to create virtual hosts for everything when it's easier and simpler to just use the localhost version.
You have not read The need for Virtual Host otherwise you understand why you must use the VirtualHost and not 'http://localhost/myproject/' (except special cases).
All hosters use the VirtualHost, either Apache or Nginx as their equivalents. And Wampserver is a local web hoster.
Nevertheless, for the irreducible, the option to add localhost in the URL still exists, but at your own risk.

I do not expect more on this subject.
Wampserver is Free Software and everyone can do what he wants and possibly create another branch.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.