Upgrading to 2.5 - But not a geek
Posted by: firefly9 (---.KNTNSK.yourlink.ca)
Date: March 05, 2015 06:23PM

I am presently using wamp 2.2.e

I considered upgrading and did download the 2.5 version, but the instruction at
[forum.wampserver.com]
are not at all easy to follow - AT ALL!

I really would prefer not to have to make my wamp a virtual host - it seems daunting to me, and I would think for many others.

I did grab the 64 bit for this first attempt, so I need to know I guess if the 32 bit (which I see now is recommended) does NOT require that the server be a virtual host.

If this is required then is there a more clear set of instructions. Everything goes greek at step 2, and even with using notepad++ the `C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts` files remained hidden. But truly I am hesitant to attempt changing all these settings with the existing directions.

It says "In WampServer 2.5 it is now STRONGLY encouraged to create a Virtual Host".... but it doesn't say you have to, but then it says the wamp homepage won't work unless you do. What is the wamp homepage? Will the sites still work??

This set up is like playing with fire for someone unskilled - wamp used to be a very easy program to install?

If I can continue to use 2.2 then can you point me to instructions as to how to upgrade the php? For me wamp is only a testing server and a place to initially develop joomla and wordpress sites.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Upgrading to 2.5 - But not a geek
Posted by: lexxtoronto (---.cable.teksavvy.com)
Date: March 05, 2015 07:42PM

I followed these instructions and upgraded to PHP 5.6.6 on wamp 2.2 but then my Apache wouldnt start, so I posted a question about that too.

[john-dugan.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 07:43PM by lexxtoronto.

Posted by: lexxtoronto (---.cable.teksavvy.com)
Date: March 05, 2015 07:45PM

If your machine can use wamp 2.5 32bit then install it. Just uninstall 2.2e, delete all files and then install 2.5, easy, I have it running on my notebook.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: March 05, 2015 09:07PM

Have a look at this post it shoudl help you upgrade without loosing any site code or databases [forum.wampserver.com]

Virtual Hosts are encouraged NOT MANDITORY, however if you get problems moving a site from test to a live hosted server, you only have yourself to blame.

Virtual Hosts are not difficult to setup. read the whole document before attempting anything

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.