Offline/Online not appearing
Posted by: MacNala (---.15-1.cable.virginm.net)
Date: June 06, 2016 09:01PM

I have installed Wampserver 3.0.0 64bits in Windows 10
So far I have been able to access the localhost create a simple website but fail when it comes to accessing this from another machine in my small network.
I expected there to be an Offline/Online icon at the bottom of the left-click of the WAMP icon but it does not appear.

I have not modified any of the configuration files but think there needs to be some change to make it appear.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Ignore my profile details below they are from about 2 years ago haven't found out how to update them yet.
Found it and updatd

Win 10 Prof 64 bit
in a Windows 10 Prof virtual machine 64 bit

WAMP server v 3.0.6 64 bit
Apache v 2.4.23
PHP v 5.6.27
MySQL v 5.7.16
WAMP manager is GREEN
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2016 09:09PM by MacNala.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Offline/Online not appearing
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2016 09:05PM

Hi

This is now an optional menu. To turn it on do

right click wampmanager-> Wamp Settings -> Menu: Online Offline

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2016 11:43AM by RiggsFolly.

Date: June 06, 2016 09:26PM

I have turned the online on but cannot get to the webpage.
locally the response is OK entering http:// localhost/my-site
but not from another machine entering http:// vbxwa1/my-site.

space added in URL after // to get round change made by forum.

I am a novice at this and need help.

Date: June 07, 2016 01:12PM

Sorry I forgot to mention why that menu is now hidden by default.

There is now a Virtual Host defined for localhost so that menu is pretty useless

Edit \wamp\bin\apache\apache{version}\conf\extra\httpd-vhost.conf

It should look like this

<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName localhost
	DocumentRoot D:/wamp/www
	<Directory  "D:/wamp/www/">
		Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
		AllowOverride All
		Require local
                # Add following line for allowing all your subnet
                Require ip 192.168.1

</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

192.168.1 is just an example, use the first 3 quartiles of your real subnet

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: June 07, 2016 09:53PM

I am still confused.
Here is the httpd-vhosts.conf

ServerName localhost
DocumentRoot C:/wamp64/www
<Directory "C:/wamp64/www/">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

ServerName my-site
DocumentRoot c:/wamp64/www/my-site
<Directory "c:/wamp64/www/my-site/">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

ServerName GMHost
DocumentRoot c:/wamp64/www/gmhost
<Directory "c:/wamp64/www/gmhost/">
AllowOverride All
Require local
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

The correct virtual host is my-site, is that where the Require ip should be placed?
My confusion was made greater by trying to read the apache manual, far too technically worded.

Date: June 08, 2016 01:04AM

Nobody said that taking on the role of the website administrator was going to be easy.

But lets think about it logically.

If you wanted to tell apache that it was allowed to accept connections and therefore serve web page to a set of IP Addresses other than those covered by `local` (local means this PC only)

for a domain called my-site

where would you put that instruction?

My guess would be inside the VirtualHost definition for the site with the ServerName of my-site

Is that a big enough clue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 09:22AM by RiggsFolly.

Date: June 11, 2016 09:54PM

Yes that is a good clue. A pity that it did not work.
There must be some other config file modification that I need to make.

I run the Wampserver in a Win 10 Virtual Machine (virtualbox) and from other VMs try, using IE [vbxwa1]. Am I still doing it wrong?

Date: June 13, 2016 09:15PM

I am still in difficulty getting an answer to my question.
I think I should be able to access the Apache running in vbxwA2 from any of the other machines in the LAN by using http: //vbxwa2/websitename or http: //192.168.1.10/websitename.
All the machines are on the same subnet and are part of a workgroup.
Why does it not work?

Posted by: SimonT (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2016 08:17AM

Is http:// vbxwa1/my-site a registered domain, does a DNS, somewhere, point to it the IP address of your computer. Seems the browser on the other computers will do a DNS query to get the IP address for that URL when you try to get to a file on that URL

You said you get a 200 (I'm assuming that is the HTTP Response code - right?)

What do you get on the other computers when you try to load a web page from that URL?

Date: June 14, 2016 10:55AM

No it is not a domain. I was referring to a virtual machine, vbxwa2 (made a mistake earlier quoting vbxwA1) running Win 10 running WAMPServer and hosting the my-site website. It responds to http: //localhost/my-site correctly from the vbxwA2 IE and Edge.
There is no response to other machines (VM or Real) to trying to access http: //vbxwA2/my-site or http: //192.168.1.10/my-site (vbxwA2 IP is 192.168.1.10).
Thanks for your reply and hope we can get it sorted out, it is bugging me!

Posted by: SimonT (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 19, 2016 06:15AM

My suggestion is going to sound radical:

If you still can't get things to work - I suggest reinstalling WAMP and starting with a clean slate.

Read all of this, better, print it if you can, before you begin.

Terminology - I have the 64 bit version of WAMP 3 installed and it installed in the c:\wamp64 directory. Apparently the 32 versions, new or old, installed in the c:\wamp directory,.

When I say "WAMP dirrecgory" I will be referring to the directory where WAMP was installed, for specify examples I use \wamp64

The information you originall posted shows you are using 64 bit WAMP 3 so I'm assuming (and I could be wrong) that your WAMP directory is \wamp64

Backup all of your web site files, databases, and other things created under the WAMP directory. Make a new directory - maybe named mybackup and copy all of your directories and files to it. I'm talking about any web site files you put under the WAMP directory, possibliy in the the www subdirectory of WAMP.

If you have created one or more databases via phpMyAdmin, go there and export them to a files in your mybackup directory.

Then un-install WAMP - I have an un-install program listed in my Start Menu -> WampServer64 folder. I assume you have one. Shutdown WAMP - right click WAMP -> exit.

Now run the WAMP un-install program.

Now start from the beginning and install WAMP ------

Then:

1 - create a directory under the WAMP www subdirectory to hold your web site. The name is not important, as long as you remember it and it means something to you. If, for example, you want to think of your site as mywebsite - give the new directory that name.

2 - Put your web site files and directories in that new directory.

4 - Now create a virtual host

Go read my post at [forum.wampserver.com]

Scroll down and find the text:

"If you are running WAMP 3, you can make a virtual host very easily. Go to this post and read it [forum.wampserver.com]

Here are the steps described differently:"

Follow those steps to create a virtual host using WAMP's new (new with version 3) automated virtual host creation feature.

Make the virtual host name what you want to refer to the site as, if you were registering a domain on the Internet, it would be the domain name for the site. I suggested mywebsite as the www subdirectory, why not use that or maybe mywebsite.com

As to the full path to the site for the virtual sitge, if WAMP was installed in \wamp64 and your put your site in subdirectory of the c:\wamp64\www\mywebsite - that is the full, complete, fully qualified path for the virtual host.

Use \ instead of / when specifying the path -- you're working with a Windows path, not a web path.

Once you have created the virtual host, you need to restart the DSN - it can't be done automatically for you. Right click the WAMP icon -> Tools -> Restart DNS (it is the top item in the Tools menu)

When the WAMP icon turns green, go to your browser and put the name of the virtual host in the address bar. You should be able to get to your site.

You have reached the level of my knowledge as regards configuring an Apache web server to handle requests for a web site.

Go to the Google search: [www.google.com]

Read those page but read them keeping in mind that they be referring to other versions of WAMP or may be telling you to do something manually which is better done via the WAMP menu items. They might also be providing instructions that apply to a very specific circumstance and they may not know enough to warn you about that - they may think they are giving instructions for the general situation.

Also, read several of the pages to see if they give the same instructions, if they "hang together", and if you understand what you are going to do - I don't mean just what changes you are going to make, I mean you want to understand whata change does - does it tell Apache to "listen" on another port, etc.?

Understand, as best you can, the changes you need to make, how to make them, and what they will do - that is, why make the change and what are you changing it to?

******BEFORE you start making changes, if you have enough disk space on your computer, make a backup copy of the directory in which WAMP was installed - \wamp64 or \wamp32 -- my copy has 2GB in it.

If you have enough disk space, make a copy. Then if things get really fouled up while you work on getting the site accessible on the network, you can always delete the WAMP directory, create a new directory with its name, and copy the backup to that new directory.

Presto! You are back with a working version of WAMP with a virtual host for your site and you can try again to get network access to your site.

That may sound like a lot of work - it might very well save much more time if you make changes to get network access, lose track of what you've changed and where you've changed it - and things are FUBAR or SNAFU - you have a way to get back to a known state of things and can try again.

I've been in data processing for 43+ years and I don't make changes to anything that I am not certain I can change back, quickly, to what it was before, without making a backup.

Start backing things up - you have peace of mind knowing that your have backup copies and if you have problems you can solve after making changes, you can fall back to the backup and know where things stand.

If you don't understand anything I've said, ask before you rely on the information.

Date: June 20, 2016 04:42PM

Thanks very much for your help.
I had been in IT for 49 years, now retired, although this is my first attempt at setting up a website.
I have a target application but unless I can understand what I am doing I am doomed to failure.
I have full backup of the current state of all my machines sufficient to restore individual folders and/or files.
I will however try your approach and back it all up before starting.

Win 10 Prof 64 bit
in a Windows 10 Prof virtual machine 64 bit

WAMP server v 3.0.6 64 bit
Apache v 2.4.23
PHP v 5.6.27
MySQL v 5.7.16
WAMP manager is GREEN
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2016 04:54PM

Hi,

> in a Windows 10 Prof virtual machine 64 bit
> WAMP server v 3.0.0 32 bit

I never tried Wampserver 32 or 64 bit in a virtual machine.
So I can not assure you that it works correctly.
Nevertheless, in all cases, it is imperative that the disc whether virtual or not, is formatted NTFS.
And on this virtual disk, you must ensure that symbolic links are supported.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.