Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Apache Error
Posted by: Dawnforge (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 12:12AM

So I see a LOT of threads about this issue, and many of them all have different solutions, so I have read through them all, did my own trouble shooting, and still have ended up at a dead end. I will however post the issue, what I have tried. and what I know about it to help anyone else having the issue.
On a side note before all of that tho, I would HIGHLY suggest making a pinned thread about this issue as I see videos on youtube with thousands of hits and many threads with lots of replies.

So the error - When I try to put the server online via the tray icon I get the error "Could not execute menu item (internal error) [exception] Could not preform service action: The service has not been started"

I did a listen check for port 80 and nothing is using it.
I uninstalled everything that could have used the same ports and I have tried changing said port as well
I am running windows XP for reference sake
I manually tried to install the service that is not starting with the rest of them (Apache) but nothing happens

So from the fact that Apache is simply not starting no matter what I do, this leads me to the conclusion that something is either blocking it, there is an incompatibility somewhere (should not be in my case) an error from a previous windows or wamp update, or something related to the tray icon (I have seen it happen before)

I am thinking about downloading Apache from its main source and try that, but I am not sure how I would force wamp to use that instead.

If anyone has any ideas, I welcome them all at this point. Going on 2 days playing with this issue and counting lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2014 12:12AM by Dawnforge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Apache Error
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as13285.net)
Date: April 01, 2014 01:59AM

The Online/Offline function just changes the httpd.conf file from

OffLine = Allow from 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1

to

OnLine = Allow from all

and of course visa versa.

It has nothing to do with making Apache run or not. It does however stop and start the Apache service which, if it is not running in the first place can cause this error message.

So if the apache service (wampapache) is not actually running dont bother trying to Online/Offline THERE IS NO POINT. If this is the case the wampmanager icon ( W in the stsrem tray ) will be RED or ORANGE

RED = Apache and MySQL NOT RUNNING
ORANGE = Either Apache running OR MySQL running but not both.
GREEN = Apache and MySQL services are running.

Ok so your real problem is that the Apache service is not running. Solve that and we will be getting somewhere.

1. Check the apache error log ( probably nothing in it if it in fact exists at all )

2. Check the Windows Event Viewer for messages from Apache. If Apache fails before it can open its error log it writes very helpful messages to the event log with error code and line numbers from the httpd.conf file where the error occured, if it is an error in httpd.conf.

Post back what you find.... Not millions of the same error message please.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 01, 2014 02:37AM

Ok so checking the event viewer I only see SQL info's with only one warning. Everything else seems ok there, nothing about Apache at all. This is that one warning

TIMESTAMP with implicit DEFAULT value is deprecated. Please use --explicit_defaults_for_timestamp server option (see documentation for more details).

Now I do have an Apache error log and there is a lot of data here. As you expected, much of it is reoccurring errors, but many of them are slightly different with most referring to errors creating a child process.

To prevent posting the whole dump, I have uploaded the error log to a temp file sharing website if you wish to look at it first hand. The link is only going to be valid for one day tho.
[tempsend.com]

Date: April 01, 2014 03:15AM

It looks like your network stack is a little naffed. This is actually a solution for a similiar error but as it should cause no problems doing it have a go at:-

Open a command prompt "Run as Administrator"

Run
>netsh winsock reset

Reboot if necessary

Try apache again

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: April 01, 2014 04:07AM

Ok ran the prompt, did a restart, tried launching the server and still orange.
I see a couple of new logs in the event viewer but there just data about table reloads, and the Apache error log looks about the same as it did before.

got any other ideas to try?

edit: I am going to do some research of my own about the network stats when I get home, but as for now I have to go to work. I will be back in around 6-8 hours or so

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2014 04:11AM by Dawnforge.

Date: April 01, 2014 04:08AM

Ok ran the prompt, did a restart, tried launching the server and still orange.
I see a couple of new logs in the event viewer but there just data about table reloads, and the Apache error log looks about the same as it did before.

got any other ideas to try?

Date: April 01, 2014 12:51PM

You could try this as you are running XP thsi has been known to clear this problem :-

Open “Control Panel” then “Network Connections.”

Right-click on “Local Area Connection” and select “Properties.”

Double-click on the “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” line to open the “Properties.”

On the “General” tab, click the “Advanced” button.

Select the “WINS” tab and uncheck the “Enable LMHOSTS Lookup” box.”

Date: April 02, 2014 02:28AM

Ok so I tried your next idea, but something I noticed is as soon as I restart my pc or repair my internet connection it goes back to the defaulted checked.

After doing some research online tho, I found a few things I want to try. I will post any that work or fail when I am done.

I am going off the ideas that there is a hidden conflict somewhere, so I will be using windows process mangier to keep an eye on the sequence of events that take place as I try to launch.

I am also going to try to run wamp from a pre downloaded zip file instead of an installer. There was a video I found of someone that had an issue like mine and this worked for him.

Date: April 02, 2014 02:28AM

Ok so I tried your next idea, but something I noticed is as soon as I restart my pc or repair my internet connection it goes back to the defaulted checked.

After doing some research online tho, I found a few things I want to try. I will post any that work or fail when I am done.

I am going off the ideas that there is a hidden conflict somewhere, so I will be using windows process mangier to keep an eye on the sequence of events that take place as I try to launch.

I am also going to try to run wamp from a pre downloaded zip file instead of an installer. There was a video I found of someone that had an issue like mine and this worked for him.

Date: April 02, 2014 02:53AM

Ok made a small breakthrough. It does not show up on the default task manager, but with the process explorer I can see that when I attempt to launch Apache, two instances of the program launch together, but then disappear a moment later. I am currently slowly killing every non critical process to look for anything that may be conflicting with it as well as looking for anything that may be blocking the port that I may have missed.

Date: April 02, 2014 02:53AM

Ok made a small breakthrough. It does not show up on the default task manager, but with the process explorer I can see that when I attempt to launch Apache, two instances of the program launch together, but then disappear a moment later. I am currently slowly killing every non critical process to look for anything that may be conflicting with it as well as looking for anything that may be blocking the port that I may have missed.

Date: April 02, 2014 03:19AM

There should be 2 httpd processes start when you try and start Apache Apache = httpd.exe

Doo you want to try a TeamViewer link up so I can take a look myself? I am sure it cannot be this complicated!

Date: April 02, 2014 03:46AM

Sure, I am ok with that.
Nearly all computer issues are something really simple, its just a matter of finding out where it starts and where it ends tongue sticking out smiley

So how you want me to set this up?

Date: April 02, 2014 04:06AM

Im really sick atm, so I am going to take some meds and go to bed right now. I will catch you tomorrow at some time.

Date: April 02, 2014 04:06AM

Im really sick atm, so I am going to take some meds and go to bed right now. I will catch you tomorrow at some time.

Date: April 02, 2014 05:41AM

Install TV, then run it.

Send me a Private Message containing the TV ID and PASSWORD so I can connect.
Leave TV running as it will change the password each time you restart it.

I am on UK time (GMT) and am normally available 09:00 - 16:00 and normally later into the evening.
Currently working for a Guy in BC Canada so am up all over the day. So just send the PM, if I am around I will connect, otherwise Ill send you a message telling you when I am going to be around, and we can try and bump into each other.

Posted by: Idkwid (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: June 18, 2014 01:46AM

Q for Dawnforge

I'm where you were 2 months ago. Did you ever solve the problem? I'm trying to run Apache2.2 and php 5 on XP for a single task but I can't get Apache services to run. I had a green taskbar icon when I installed it and ran a couple of tests. I shut down the machine and now I get an Apache error on start up. Very, very new at this and would appreciate any help and/or advice

Posted by: Idkwid (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: June 18, 2014 01:50AM

Oh, it's the middle of the night.

Date: June 18, 2014 05:11AM

Yes I did find a fix, but you will not like it.
XP started acting up on me the day I got the end of service notice, so I installed windows 7 from my friends PC

That fixed everything and then some. 8 may be total crap but 7 is a nice upgrade should your pc be able to handle it.

sadly I must say it was a dam mess trying to get it to work on XP. I tried everything short of formatting (something you should not do now as there is no more service updates for xp)

My advice to you, upgrade your windows any way you can, or upgrade your pc so you can. It will fix your issue and everything will run smoother and better should you have the ram for it

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: June 18, 2014 09:00AM

ldkwib,

Please start another thread for your question.

Answer these as part of your initial question [forum.wampserver.com]

As long as you are not installing WAMPServer2.5 on XP there should be not problem. (WAMPServer2.5 wont run on XP as microsoft will not allow the VC11 runtime to work on it. Still its had a good long run.)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.