How To Save phpmyAdmin tables to a flash drive
Posted by: masaka (31.68.197.---)
Date: April 16, 2016 12:33PM

I have had to re-install my wamp server after getting the message "access denied" when I tried to get into phpMyAdmin to create new tables. I had saved my work on the tables I did previously by saving the folder containing the work I did on a flash drive. . The name of the database I set up before phpMyAdmin crushed appears in the new phpMyAdmin the re-installed wamp server. I have tried to copy the folder I have on my fly drive back to this database in the re-installed wamp server but I have been unsuccessful. Is there an efficient way of saving work done in phpMyAdmin and retrieving later back to the www folder ? If so, please let me know it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How To Save phpmyAdmin tables to a flash drive
Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2016 01:27PM

Hi

I am sorry you had issues, but uninstalling was not a necessary step towards a solution.

If the database you setup was exclusively MYISAM the folder copy and subsequent replace should have been enough.

If the databse you setup had INNODB tables in it however a copy of {folder called what you database was called} is not enough as most of all INNODB table are stored in a single file called
\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql{version}\ibdata1

The efficient way to backup any MYSQL database is to regularly use phpMyAdmin to EXPORT your databases.
There are other tools that will do this like MYSQL Workbench. These backups can then be used to IMPORT the databases back if you have data corruption of system crashes.

Please remember that you are now using industrial strength tools. and that means you have to know, or learn, how they work and how to use/manage them. Installing MYSQL/Apache locally basically means you have taken on the jobs of system admin, database admin and website admin along with the more obvious role as web developer.

Just a last point, phpMyAdmin is just a admin tool, it also has nothing to do with the www folders and HTML and PHP file in that folder. It allows you to access your database(s) easily to create/maintain/backup only your MYSQL databases.

I am afraid that if your databases where INNODB there is little I can suggest to allow you to recover the data from these tables, The folder you copied only contains the table structures, which is why you can see those, but the data is still missing.

Your only solution is to uninstall WAMPServer, manually delete the \wamp folder and all subfolder, and then reinstall and start again. Taking regular backups of course this time.

For reference material on MYSQL, Apache, PHP, phpMyAdmin please see my signature block for links to all the manuals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: masaka (31.68.129.---)
Date: April 16, 2016 02:44PM

Hello RiggsFolly,
Thank you for your help.
I will now have to read the manuals to understand what MYIASM and INNDOB databases are because I do not know whether the databases I set up reviously were MYISAM or INNDOB.
Regards

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2016 06:51PM

Yup, thats the ticket.

I am afraid there is quite a bit to learn when you start using Apache and MYSQL.

Just because WAMPServer is a click and go developers tool does not mean the technology it supplies you is trivial.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.