wampapache disabled, marked for deletion
Posted by: brenda (---.wsi.com)
Date: February 16, 2016 06:05PM

Windows 2008 R2 SP1
WAMP 3.0 trying to upgrade from 2.5

Major problem:
WAMP icon orange (apache will not start)

I tried to switch Apache from 2.4.9 to 2.4.18 (and various other actions trying to get it to work). Now, windows service shows wampapache as Disabled and when I try to set it to Automatic, it says the service is marked for deletion

Lesser problem:
The php.ini files in apache directory kept getting reset back to the original installed ones and I have changes that are needed to be there

Questions:
1) What is the correct way to switch Apache versions (exact step please)?
2) Is there a way out of this other than complete reinstall?
3) How can I make changes to apache php.ini and not have them overwritten? And exactly what was causing them to be overwritten?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wampapache disabled, marked for deletion
Posted by: brenda (---.wsi.com)
Date: February 16, 2016 07:42PM

I have solved my issues.

The issue with the disabled wampapache service was resolved by using WAMP to remove the service and then install the service through the Apache submenu.

The secondary problem was (I think) resolved by overwriting the installed php.ini (which was a symlink) rather than renaming it and making a new file.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2016 11:17PM

well done.

ALways use the wampmanager menu link to edit the php.ini.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2016 10:52AM

Hi,

brenda
The secondary problem was (I think) resolved by overwriting the installed php.ini (which was a symlink) rather than renaming it and making a new file.
The "file" wamp/bin/apache/apchex.y.z/bin/php.ini is and always will be a symbolic link.
However much you replace it with a real file, a symbolic link will replace it the next time Wampserver is started or version change of Apache or PHP.

This symlink "points" on the phpForApache.ini file of PHP version in use.

Wampserver 3 already has many options to change this file without having to edit it, like:
- Wampmanager Icon->PHP->PHP extensions
- Wampmanager icon->PHP-> PHP settings

And, if there are values that you can not change by these options, you do it by:
- Wampmanager Icon->PHP->php.ini
this will open the "good" file to edit in the text editor.

Why is it a symbolic link?
Because, if you change your PHP version, it must then use the file of this new version, not the file before.
And, because if you change Apache version it must be use php.ini of PHP current version, not the one of the new version of Apache.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.