Newbie needs help with MySQL concept
Posted by: Maltelec (---.range81-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 25, 2016 12:19AM

1 - Win 7 64-bit
2 - Version WampServer = 2.5 64-bit
3 - Apache Version = 2.4.9
4 - PHP Version = 5.5.12
5 - MySQL Version = 5.6.17
6 - What color is the WampServer icon = Green

Hi Guys

I am completely new to MySQL and php, and my experience in apache is now nearly 15 years old.

I would like to know if I am going in the right direction, if I am doing anything wrong or if there is a better method overall. My grand aim is to make a parts database for my work, using a basic web-browser based system to keep track of 10,000+ parts.

I have installed MySQL Server and formed a database structure. No data yet.

My idea was to install Apache and php on my dedicated PC, until I realised that Apache doesn't have a nice easy Windows installation. So I installed Wamp and realised that MySQL is tied into it.

At this point I realise that MySQL Server and MySQL under Wamp are not the same thing and I am left scratching my head as to what is best to do.

I really like MySQL Workbench which I have running on my workstation (remote PC), and I plan to use Dreamweaver CS4 to build the web-based browser. I know its old but its what I have.

If anyone can give me any hints it would be much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie needs help with MySQL concept
Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: January 25, 2016 02:34PM

MYSQL under WAMPServer IS MYSQL Server, possibly a different version to the one you have been playing with but MYSQL Server Non the less.

MYSQL Workbench will see the MYSQL Server database(s) that are part of WAMPServer with no problem. I use it all the time.

Just connect MYSQL Workbench just like you would normally, I assume its running on it on

Hostname = localhost, although I use 127.0.0.1 as its often faster.
Port = 3306

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 05:47PM by Otomatic.

Date: January 26, 2016 10:48PM

Thanks for the responses. Things are much clearer now about how they all fit together.

I have been looking at the MySQL manual. However as with all manuals with this stuff, it assumes you know what you are doing and only require the specific details and they miss out the basics.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: January 26, 2016 11:18PM

There are lots of tutorials out there, some of them are quite good

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: January 26, 2016 11:23PM

>There are lots of tutorials out there, some of them are quite good

Yes I have been reading through a few of them. I have managed to upgrade MySQL and phpMyAdmin, as the old one wouldn't work properly with MySQL 5.7.10

Just got to learn how to use Dreamweaver now, or rather find out where all the hidden buttons are!

Posted by: redarrow (---.ip-158-69-237.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 07:25AM

learn here as we all did ok.
[www.w3schools.com]

then learn here.
[www.tutorialspoint.com]

then the best here.
[dev.mysql.com]

if you learn the code and concept by reading then you can use video tutorials then references.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.