Default DB credentials on fresh install of WampServer 3.0 / MySQL 5.7
Posted by: Bunny T. (---.cust.vaioni.com)
Date: December 22, 2015 05:47PM

Hi all,

I'm not very familiar with the new features and changes of PHP 7 and MySQL 5.7. I thought installing the latest version of WampServer would help me play around.

This is a fresh install with the following patches and addons:
- WampServer 3.0.1
- Apache 2.4.18
- MySQL 5.7.10
- PHP 7.0.1

I remember the DB credentials being "root" with no password in the past, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case anymore as I can't log-in to phpMyAdmin nor can I access the DB through MySQL Workbench.

My question is simple: what are the default root credentials in WampServer 3.0? Is there anything I need to set-up before hand?

I've tried gathering information on that forum but it'd probably be easier if all the information was in one place smiling smiley

Thanks for your work keeping WampServer alive.
King regards,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Default DB credentials on fresh install of WampServer 3.0 / MySQL 5.7
Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2015 06:11PM

Hi,

After installation of Wampserver 3.0.0, just before you quit the installer, there is a message box with :

Wampserver 3.0.0
--- Launch phpMyAdmin
When starting phpMyAdmin, you will be asked for a user name and password.
After installing Wampserver 3, the default username is "root" (without quotes) and there is no password, which means that you must leave the form Password box empty.
There will be a warning:
You are connected as 'root' with no password, which corresponds to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole by setting a password for user 'root'.
This is not a problem as long as access to Phpmyadmin remain locally.
However, some web applications or CMS asking that the MySQL user has a password. In which case, you will create a user with password via the PhpMyAdmin Accounts Users tab.

--- Using the menus and submenus of Wampmanager
Do not use the keyboard to navigate through the menus and submenus of Wampmanager icon.
This information is also written in the file : wamp/read_after_install-english.txt

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Date: December 22, 2015 06:37PM

Indeed, as I said "I remember the DB credentials being "root" with no password" and I did read the instructions on installation smiling smiley

I have no problem at all with not having a password. It is not a production environment and I use it solely for local experiments. I don't really need to set up news users.

Connecting to phpMyAdmin with root / no password gives me "Cannot log in to the MySQL server" as you can see here: [i.imgur.com]
Trying with MySQL Workbench doesn't give me better results: [i.imgur.com]

Please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong! smiling smiley

Thanks for your prompt answer.

Posted by: RiggsFolly (---.as43234.net)
Date: December 22, 2015 07:10PM

I would say that either

- MYSQL did not install propery

- MySQL is not actually running ( What color is the wampmanager icon )

- You have another MySQL Server running on this system

Can we start by making sure that MYSQL Server is running, check the colout of the wampmanager icon it shoudl be GREEN ( Oh and the wampmanager icon may be hidding in the System Tray Extension area )

Is there a service called wampmysqld or wampmysqld64 in the services console.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Windows 10 Pro 64bit) (Wampserver 3.3.4 64bit) Aestan Tray Menu 3.2.5.4
<Apache versions MULTIPE> <PHP versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Versions MULTIPLE>
<MariaDB versions MULTIPLE> <phpMyAdmin versions MULTIPLE> <MySQL Workbench 8.0.23>

Read The Manuals Apache -- MySQL -- PHP -- phpMyAdmin
Get your Apache/MySQL/mariaDB/PHP ADDONs here from the WAMPServer alternate Repo
-X-X-X- Backup your databases regularly Here is How dont regret it later! Yes even when developing -X-X-X-

Date: December 23, 2015 10:43AM

Oh, just figured it out! You were absolutely right saying "You have another MySQL Server running on this system"

So the WampServer icon was green and the wampmysqld64 services was showing as running yesterday despite having this problem.
But indeed, I forgot I had a Vagrant box running at the same time with a MySQL tunnel for localhost:3306

The DB connection was calling not my local DB but my virtual machine DB instead which of course has different credentials.

I've now tried running WampServer with no Vagrant running and the MySQL connection works great.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kind regards,

Posted by: Otomatic (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2015 03:58PM

Hi,

There is a tool to see what use port 3306 :
- Right-Click Wampmanager Icon->Tools->Test port 3306

When it is OK for wampserver the answer should be :
***** Test which uses port 3306 *****

===== Tested by command netstat filtered on port 3306 =====

Test for TCP
Your port 3306 is used by a processus with PID = 4696
The processus of PID 4696 is 'mysqld.exe' Session: Services
The service of PID 4696 for 'mysqld.exe' is 'wampmysqld'
This service is from Wampserver - It is correct

Test for TCPv6
Your port 3306 is used by a processus with PID = 4696
The processus of PID 4696 is 'mysqld.exe' Session: Services
The service of PID 4696 for 'mysqld.exe' is 'wampmysqld'
This service is from Wampserver - It is correct

Press Enter to exit...

---------------------------------------------------------------
Documentation Apache - Documentation PHP - Documentation MySQL - Wampserver install files & addons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.